Freeride/downhill???- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

Freeride/downhill???

G' day fellow rider

I just moved back up to Alaska and really have no idea to go riding.
    whent to alyeska couple times and hit the Bleuberry trail.
    i'm looking for something more "thrilling" something with jumps, drops maybe some nice north shore.
    Not even sure if theres anything alike that around here.
    would be more then willing to help build something aswell, so if you building something or planning to!!
    Need some people to ride with to, get into some pear pressure to go bigger!!

well post some comments im out!!

Bikes are good

Hate to break it dude,...

Nothing north shore style with big drops like you are thinking. There are a few places I know of that people have shoddy stuff built with big consequence, poor flow, and I wouldn't ride it. Again anyway.

Big downhills you will have to work for. Find trails. Get a xcountry bike, next year, and start at Hilltop. The further east you go, the bigger the hills.

Alyeska is working at making a park. The trail you rode is the beginning of something really cool, hopefully. So, keep your fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    I would like to entertain the notion of building some features on one of the trails in the new Hillside Singletrack system--that is if we could get permission from the Muni. In order to do so we'd need a clear plan and assurances that the features would be engineered and constructed to be durable and reasonably safe. And there'd need to be a plan for maintenance. I welcome proposals. But I can't guarantee that we'd get the green light...

Bikes are good

Okay

That would be really cool. The trick really is, finding someone that knows how to build that stuff who will do the work to draw a blueprint for it. Right?

Maybe the Alyeska dudes know someone.

Jun 2008
    That be ways SICK!!
    so basically, 1 step would be to get some proper blueprints, and show them to the muni.
    what about the actuall build though would that have to be done by a contractor or could riders just pitch in if we have 1 guy who knows what he's doing?

Thanx for the reply's

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Freeriders.

As far as getting people together that would be willing to build freeride mountain bike stuff i know of plenty of people in anchorage who would be willing to put in effort to put stuff up. But as has always been the problem there is the issue with getting someone who is willing to put in the effort to go scout out and plan the feature and present them to the muni. unfortunatly im in montana for school until next summer but i would love to be apart of any attempt to build any decent features on the hillside. I didnt know that building anything of that sort was an option in the the work being done on the new trails being put in or i would have got more into this before i left to come to school.

Jun 2008
    Thats a good point about people willing to scout out the trails,
    I dont know the area,
    however I have build some trails over in germany with friends, so i could put forward some idea's with help of others!!
    aslong as some1 who knows the area and knows i am more then willing to put in the effort to go scout out!!!
    so count im!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Queen bee, what would the timeline look like for getting a proposal in about building some or at least a freeride trail? would this be something that, if one would be able to get a good set of plans together, would be working towards getting built next summer? I guess what I'm really asking is when would we have to get a proposal put together and, if said proposal did get a green light from the muni, when would building start?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    I would like to entertain the notion of building some features on one of the trails in the new Hillside Singletrack system--that is if we could get permission from the Muni. In order to do so we'd need a clear plan and assurances that the features would be engineered and constructed to be durable and reasonably safe. And there'd need to be a plan for maintenance. I welcome proposals. But I can't guarantee that we'd get the green light...
    I would be a big fan of that! Talk to Jamon at Speedway - he has already drafted plans and delved into the process with the muni.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ya jamon would be good to get a hold of but his drafts were for trails built on the hilltop ski area hill with lift access. I think what queen bee was referring to was trails built off the ski hill closer to the trails that were built this year.

mtbr member

Two Ideas

It sounds like there are two ideas floating around. One is to build a freeride park--identify a suitable piece of land and go through the process to build. The other is to build in some obstacles and features into one of the new trails constructed this summer. I am thinking of the latter.

I would be willing to facilitate discussions that would lead to building trail features on the new trail. This would be a STA project but it would be low-scale requiring someone to come up with some plans and articulate exactly how it would be constructed. We might have some funding to put toward the effort. Most of us are cross-country riders with no knowledge or experience building stuff like this. We need to find who among the mt. biking community has experience. Planning for the trail features would need to occur over the winter with construction happening next summer. Again, this is low-scale feature building project, something to allow us to develop more advanced skills. Think log rides, maybe a boardwalk or ladder, or whatever... Here are some suggested steps:

1. Identify a project leader. Janice to play role of support and facilitator.
    3. Identify parts of the trail that lend themselves to building something cool. We're not talking about turning one of the trails into a North Shore style trail, just building a few fun features.
    4. Develop a concept: what is it that would be fun to ride and build?
    5. Come up with a plan or blueprint on how to build it, materials required and cost--If Jamon has ideas, I know Thirstywork has construction expertise.
    6. Pitch the idea to park management.
    7. Park management would probably want to run it through risk assessment.
    8. We'd want to be sure of our liability and exposure.
    9. If all goes well, build it next summer.

Building a freeride park would require a concerted effort by a group of people that want to get it done. I think you may have been involved in a proposal for a piece of land in Mt. View? If you wrote that proposal, it was really good and deserves some follow-through. In any case, building a freeride park would take at least a year, if not more, to garner support, get permission and raise funds for the project. I was approached by an Assembly member who wanted to know more about this proposal; apparently it was discussed at an Assembly meeting a couple of weeks ago. It takes a lot of work but it can happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have to say, I am very excited to hear some discussion around this! I think there are some fantastic opportunities for features out there. I would love to hear discussion surrounding this. Even some simpler features like berm corners or small transition gaps would be a blast. I would love to be involved with the planning and design phase. Would anybody else have any interest in a Dirt Jump/Pump track style area?
    -Ride it like you stole it

Jun 2008
    a dirt jump area would be pretty cool, i think there is already 1 somewhere, atleast thats what i've heard!!
    i would enjoy a track with just some nice bank turn and maybe some some small drops and launches.
    i wonder who we would have to talk to??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is a really cool concept that is happening right now in Boulder Colorado. I wonder if there would be enough support for something similar up here.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/valmont...sign-2008.html

Jun 2008
    the freeride scene seems to still be pretty small up here.
    but it would defenetly be worth a try, we would need like a piece of land though, preferably on a hill!!!

is buachail foighneach me
    https://www.trailspinners.org/

these guys have built some reeeaally good sustainable trails and legal freeride features/areas within public land. they're the best i encountered on the east coast with regards to working with the land managers and policing their own. most of the features they have built would be considered beginner to intermediate 'freeride', but are still fun and reasonably safe as well. they serve some high population areas as well.

some of the freeride features they've built: https://www.trailspinners.org/galler...el=album&id=11

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thegerman
    a dirt jump area would be pretty cool, i think there is already 1 somewhere, atleast thats what i've heard!!
    There are a few different sets of jumps around town, we prefer to keep them out of the public eye but if you're into that stuff you'll eventually meet someone who knows where they are.

If public dirt jumps happen, I'd be willing to help. I've been building stuff like that off and on for the past dozen years or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    yeah, I kind of figured there were some around. I just don't know where to look.....I fully understand (and respect) keeping them quiet. I am new to the Alaska riding community and I have been out the last few month from a knee surgery, but come spring time I am hoping to meet up with some like minded riders to ride with. Thanks for the heads up though!

Members who have read this thread: 0