Frame repair???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Frame repair???

Beware of Doggerel

Frame repair???

I need to find someone who does frame repair/building. I just bought a road bike from a buddy back east, the fork is damaged (not from a crash or anything like that) I think it may need a new steerer tube, not really sure what the damage is but I need someone who can evaluate it and if possible repair the fork any suggestions for local folks (Anchorage) who do this, it is a steel fork.

Thanks
    Adam

Jun 2003

I do not know of anyone locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I need to find someone who does frame repair/building. I just bought a road bike from a buddy back east, the fork is damaged (not from a crash or anything like that) I think it may need a new steerer tube, not really sure what the damage is but I need someone who can evaluate it and if possible repair the fork any suggestions for local folks (Anchorage) who do this, it is a steel fork.

Thanks
    Adam
    No one that I know of here does frame repairs, but you may try calling Pat Irwin at Pat's Bikes of the Bicycle Department to see what they say. The shop I am at does not know of anyone.

Jan 2004
    If Pat dosn't know of anyone, you might try talking to Paul at The Bike Exchange. he got a freind of his to weld the chopper fork for my '73 Varsity.. (See: signiture photo on my profile)
    I'm not sure if he could replace a steerer tube, but it might be worth the trip to ask, if you havn't allready been there.
    He's got all kinds of cool older bikes.. a bunch of Stingrays & cruisers..
    I've seen a couple of custum welded clunker frames.
    homemade tandems, recumbants & pushbikes..

His shop is on Barrow or Cordova (I think), between Northern Lights & Fireweed, in a dark red building below a karate school.

mtbr member

Smile Adam, scroll down this alaska forum a few posts and....

Thanks
    Adam
    You willl see two threads posted by Wildfire......he has a shop in Palmer and manufactures frames. Maybe he can help you out.
    Good luck,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Fork

Thanks
    Adam

Adam, I'll get you a Surly road fork and beg you not to repair a damaged one. it's a chance I wouldn't recommend you take. There's too many damn lawyers ready willing and able to....oh, sorry!
    Call me or stop by and we'll make the most of it. Pat

Jun 2003

Below Tanaka's school, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMonkey
    If Pat dosn't know of anyone, you might try talking to Paul at The Bike Exchange. he got a freind of his to weld the chopper fork for my '73 Varsity.. (See: signiture photo on my profile)
    I'm not sure if he could replace a steerer tube, but it might be worth the trip to ask, if you havn't allready been there.
    He's got all kinds of cool older bikes.. a bunch of Stingrays & cruisers..
    I've seen a couple of custum welded clunker frames.
    homemade tandems, recumbants & pushbikes..

His shop is on Barrow or Cordova (I think), between Northern Lights & Fireweed, in a dark red building below a karate school.
    I forgot about Paul for that kind of source.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Contact Tamara...

at Wildframe - reasonable prices, great work:

www.mindspring.com/~sk8mtb/services.html

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Adam, I'll get you a Surly road fork and beg you not to repair a damaged one. it's a chance I wouldn't recommend you take. There's too many damn lawyers ready willing and able to....oh, sorry!
    Call me or stop by and we'll make the most of it. Pat
    Pat, Yeah I know better, and my buddy sending me this bike has never even installed this fork becasue of the defect he told me the same thing (buy a new fork), but the fork he has been running on it goes to another bike so I need to find a new fork. The frame is a late 80's/early 90's Bianchi Reparto Corsa road frame. It is a work of art and fits me like a glove. My friend that I got the bike from was a roomate of mine (and the man who introduced me to and sold me my first 29er) so I've been riding this bike for years when I lived in NY and usually borrow it for a few weeks on my trips back east. All campy top end stuff on the frame super sweet. I want to put a nice fork on it but not carbon becuse a carbon fork on a classic like this just seems wrong. Looking for a Columbus steel fork in chrome, if possible, I'll be in cause I need some rims as well (it has tubulars at the moment).

Adam