footwear- Mtbr.com

Thread: footwear

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

footwear

This is my first winter riding season. What kind of footwear are you using to keep your feet warm? I ride platform pedals,have worn extra tuffs(warm and comfy down to 10 above) Sorells are great below the 10 degree mark but a bit "clunky". I would like to find some lighter boots that are warm and not as "clunky" as my sorrels.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Most will sat it's all personal preference. I will agree. I can get away with a lightweight hiking boot and wool socks down to -15 as long as i'm moving. I have a co-worker that can't keep her feet warm no matter what she wears. Some like Neos, some get away with Lakes. It will take some testing on your part to get it just the way you like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

On the right track

Climber,

You're on the right track. If you like platforms, which most of us do, than just pick footwear that works for you. And I don't think I need to mention that circulation is important since you're already familiar with winter gear. I try to go 2 sizes bigger than normal. Keep the blood flowing unrestricted and your footsies will thank you.
    JordyB is correct, it's personal preference.

I wear boots that are comfortable to 10 below, then I add Neos overboots.

Pat

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I found that Neo's work for me. I keep the tops a little loose to help release the moisture.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Most will sat it's all personal preference. I will agree. I can get away with a lightweight hiking boot and wool socks down to -15 as long as i'm moving. I have a co-worker that can't keep her feet warm no matter what she wears. Some like Neos, some get away with Lakes. It will take some testing on your part to get it just the way you like it.
    I agree with Jordy on figuring out with what works for you. I'm a SPD user. I used Lakes for the last 10 years. I have to give props to the Cheezyman in Kodiak. I'm not sure where he posted on footwear wether it was Akspokes, bike hub or here on mtbr. The Shimano winter gortex boot takes the Lake boot to the wood shed! Then beats them like your step dad would. I have been riding the last week around the science center and out in Mirkwood with minus -20 temps and my toes are toasty. Over sized by 2 1/2 sizes. I also use an insulated gaiter by Mountain Tools (California climbing supply co.). Which is sweet. I think it largely also depends on the riding your doing and where. Have fun out there

Bikes are good

SPD-Lakes-Snowpant gaiter

Following an idea from Billy Koitch at Arctic cycles, I had my old snowpants cut to fit the periphery of my boot. Had Mom sew them together with a zipper, a cinch, and some velcro. This with some down batting material sewed into the toe area provides insulation and some dead space. If it is real nasty cold, I throw a hot hand on top of the toes and this set up is good for as long as I like riding in the real cold. 3-4 hours anyway. My feet don't get cold by then, I just wuss out first.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Bike=Fountain of Youth
    Nov 2011
    This is my first winter doing much riding and I am currently running SPDs with Lake Boots. They worked pretty good down to about 20 degrees, then I added toe warmers ($15 for a box of 30 at Costco) and had relatively warm feet down to about 10 degrees. I then cut up a pair of old neoprene overboots from my mountaineering days to accommodate the pedal clips. My feet stayed warm for 3 hours last night in minus 10-16 temperatures with the overboots and toe warmers. I'm sure they would have stayed warmer even longer if I had used a liner sock, a vapor barrier and then a wool sock. Most folks will need to go with platform pedals and something like NEOs and arctic pacs for any rides longer than 5 hours. Like all the other folks have said, you'll have to experiment a bit to figure out what works for you. Do take extra toe warmers and dry socks on any of your longer rides as you want to be absolutely sure you don't do cold damage to your feet.

mtbr member
    One thing to watch out for with foot wear is the lug pattern, I have a pair of insulated merrels I like but the lugs are so widely spaced they slide around without gripping the little traction spikes on the platforms. I'll be looking for something similar but with a tighter tread pattern, I usually wear gaiters too.

Ologist
    Anyone try the Keen Summit County boot. I use the the Wintersport which have more insulation but I heard some folks in Fairbanks are using them. I haven't had a chance to hold them - they look a little light for multi-hour sub zero temps but I think with an rbh vapor socks they might be a slimmer profile setup than most winter footwear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Experimented with a very thin liner sock/VBL sock (vabor barrier) and fat wool sock combo and have found good results at keeping feet warm on longer rides 3-4 hrs this week. The VBL's keep the the wool sock completely dry which seems to prevent the slow creep of cold to the feet over the longer rides.

@adelorenzo
    I've been using some North Face boots for a couple years. Bought 'em on sale, they're decently light / compact but warm. Keep in mind I stay pretty warm, but I can wear these to -30 C with a thin poly liner sock for a couple of hours. I'll wear a wool sock if I'm going out on a long ride.

Really cold days like 40 below I wear bunny boots. Major 'clunky' factor but of course nothing beats them for warmth.

I think my boots are something like this:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eva

Another thing to consider for you folks using platforms, use footwear with an EVA midsole like the North Face boots above. It's a much better insulator than boots without.

If you're going clipless remember the Lakes top out at size 50 and you'll want to have some space in there to layer your feet while maintaining good circulation. If you have big feet I advise using platforms.

Just my opinion with this topic we seem to rehash every winter.

Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    I've been using some North Face boots for a couple years. Bought 'em on sale, they're decently light / compact but warm. Keep in mind I stay pretty warm, but I can wear these to -30 C with a thin poly liner sock for a couple of hours. I'll wear a wool sock if I'm going out on a long ride.
    +1
    I just bought the North Face Baltoro, rated -40F. They are as light as the insulated Merrels from last winter, warmer, higher tops , and what I really like is a very stiffer shank.

As someone else mentioned the tread pattern matters when using platform pedals, These NF soles are not quite as stable on my Flybikes platforms as my Merrels, warmer is better though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I recently picked up some Salomon Deemax 2 Dry shoes, and have been happy with them. I bought them to perform as running shoes. I had been looking for a while for insulated running shoes, and these were the first that I found that fit the bill. I haven't done any long runs in them because it's just been too cold (or I've been too much of a wuss). But for 30-45 minutes at around zero degrees, these (coupled with some thick wool socks) performed well. These aren't going to be sufficient for multi-hour rides at below-zero temps, but they are light and comfortable. If you want a tennis shoe kind of feel, and don't really need the warmth of a boot, I would give these high marks. I've just worn them on some short rides around town on platforms.

DEEMAX 2 Dry - Winter shoes - Footwear - Footwear - Salomon

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    Another thing to consider for you folks using platforms, use footwear with an EVA midsole like the North Face boots above. It's a much better insulator than boots without.

If you're going clipless remember the Lakes top out at size 50 and you'll want to have some space in there to layer your feet while maintaining good circulation. If you have big feet I advise using platforms.

Just my opinion with this topic we seem to rehash every winter.

Pat
    Good advice, Pat. I found it hard with a giant Lake shoe to get the cleat in proper place for my foot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lobbens for me. Super cozy and great traction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails footwear-lobbens.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I need clipless compatible shoes for my home-to-work ridings,hour there-hour back.Last winter i rode up to -33F (-36C).I have seen some US companies to make either mountain shoes based or mouintain shoe-ish clipless mtb boots for extrme cold weather.Anybody have a glue of companys name?

mtbr member
    I use lobbens, steger mukluks, or Klim snowmachine boots depending on the weather/mood.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have been contemplating going the Neos route after a season on the Lakes last year. The Lakes worked great for me down to about 10F, but after that they just did not keep my feet warm. Since I am touring in AK this winter, the amount of time exposed will be greatly increased. I have read that some of the Ultrasport riders are just using lw running/hiking shoes with the appropriate VBL & Socks combo under their Neos. What are peoples thoughts on what to run under the NEOS? It seems a bit overkill to run a -40F winter boot under the NEOS.

Thanks for the help/advice

Glenn
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

Ologist
    For long distance stuff and colder temps I use a pair of Keens (summits/winterport II) with and RBH vapor barrier and liner sock. This combo allows for long distance push/walks with the appropriate support, fit the platforms well, and keeps the feet more than warm enough. Add a gaitor and I am overflow proof.

The Lakes I use only for <2hr trips at temps above ~ -15. Even oversized, the toes get cold and any bigger my foot would be in an uncomfortable clip position