Fixing a Flat on Large Marge at Forty Below- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Fixing a Flat on Large Marge at Forty Below

I was wondering if anybody has had to fix a flat on an Endomorph/Large Marge combo in the cold. I got my Pug last winter and was wondering what the chances of a flat are riding in the snow......on my snowcats i have had to fix a few pinch flats but the bigger tubes seem to be a bit more resilient......i haven't had a flat yet, knock on wood.

-K

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Pugs Flats

Have not flatted on mine but tire changing is easy - I think you will find many people are running WTB 2.5 tubes verses the heavy Surly tubes. The real pain is filling the tire with a small hand pump..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pugs Flat

Have had good luck using 2.5-2.75 tubes under Bontrager label, perhaps you can find similar up there like maybe the WTB's mentioned. Way lighter than the Surly tubes. Other than no luck with several brands of standard mountain bike tubes, my only flat over several years has come with likely valve shear after riding hills/deep snow/long distance/-34F/maybe 5-8PSI.
    So maybe gluing is good idea for lots of low pressure hill riding even with large marge. Fortunately it went completely flat later in warm cabin or I might be still out there.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsy
    I was wondering if anybody has had to fix a flat on an Endomorph/Large Marge combo in the cold. I got my Pug last winter and was wondering what the chances of a flat are riding in the snow......on my snowcats i have had to fix a few pinch flats but the bigger tubes seem to be a bit more resilient......i haven't had a flat yet, knock on wood.

-K
    Frequency of flats depends mostly on what pressures you're riding, and where you're riding.

I only flatted this combo once last year, and it was near Hells Gate at about -30f. At sunset. With a 30+mph wind. I didn't much enjoy it.

Changing flats on that combo is difficult to do barehanded, and a little frustrating to boot. At -40 it takes a minimum of 15 minutes to get it done right. Each step takes longer because of the cold, and removing/reinstalling the tire bead on the rim seem to take longest. My fingers do not have enough strength/dexterity to remove the tire at that temp WITHOUT a tire lever, as the tire is pretty stiff and the rim/tire interface is pretty tight regardless of temp.

YMMV, of course.

MC

mtbr member
    If you've changed a flat on the Largemarge you're probably already aware of this, but every now and then I hear people talk about what a pain it is to get the endos off the largemarges which is a sign that they're doing it wrong, so just in case-- removal of the tire is made significantly easier by pushing both beads to the center of the rim first, and then prying the tire off. After doing this I can get a few fingers under the bead and lift it off the edge of the rim. In the cold I'm sure things are tighter, so a tire lever is probably a good call.
    Luckily I've never had a flat with he WTBs, running them very soft at -30.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    If you've changed a flat on the Largemarge you're probably already aware of this, but every now and then I hear people talk about what a pain it is to get the endos off the largemarges which is a sign that they're doing it wrong, so just in case-- removal of the tire is made significantly easier by pushing both beads to the center of the rim first, and then prying the tire off. After doing this I can get a few fingers under the bead and lift it off the edge of the rim. In the cold I'm sure things are tighter, so a tire lever is probably a good call.
    Luckily I've never had a flat with he WTBs, running them very soft at -30.
    You just reminded me that I need to lay off the crack pipe. The flat that I fixed last year on the Idita trail was a Gazza on a sand rim. Totally different animal--much stiffer sidewall on the Gazza, much harder to get off the rim.

Pete's right (did I just say that?) in that the Endo comes off the LM very easily if you just work both beads into the center channel of the rim before trying to get a finger under one side to peel it off.

MC

mtbr member
    Pete's right

Score 1 for me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    On the same topic, are the WTB 2.25-2.5 tubes proving to be a reliable option with the LM/Endomorphs at very low pressures? Last winter, after seeing the sidewall crinkle on the Endomorphs, I got nervous about the lighter tubes and put the Surly tubes back in there even though I never actually pinch flatted the WTBs.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0