First Trail Segment Open- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! First Trail Segment Open

The first section of the new trails is open to ride! This is the ONLY section that is currently open. It starts at the project sign at the top of the Gasline and heads south. It ends when it pops out onto the Gasline. The next section that proceeds to the north of the Gasline is CLOSED and will remain closed until the hand crew finishes the trail in mid-September. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

IF A TRAIL IS ROPED OFF BY YELLOW TAPE AND HAS A "TRAIL CLOSED" SIGN DANGLING FROM IT, THAT MEANS THAT THE TRAIL IS CLOSED. (It amazes me how many people don't seem to understand this).

Please do not ride the trail when it's muddy. Normally a trail like this would "rest" for a year before it's open to ride, but hey, I'm just as anxious as many are to ride it.

Have fun!

QB
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 08-18-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I've ridden this section for at least the last five consecutive evenings, climbing first, then returning downhill. Great stuff! It's such a pleasurable way of making my way up to Prospect Hts as I continue on up to the end of South Fork Rim for some climbing. Just having a different option keeps it all the more interesting.

Usually I take the Llama trails as a downhill return, but have been purposely taking the new trail instead, trying to get used to its nature. It's really a lot of fun, working the hard leans, controlled braking, and constant trail scanning because it doesn't allow you to brainlessly ride along. I've been diggin' it a lot. And if the rest of the network ratchets the challenge level up a notch, I can't wait!

One word of caution: as I've ridden up I've really become aware of how many blind corners there are. Some turns make real 180's around high cutbanks, not allowing much forward view. A slow climber could easily wind up in your face if you're trying to bomb down. Since this is a bi-directional trail, be aware of that fact. The abundance of tight turns and scarcity of straight sections don't give much opportunity for notice of approaching riders. These are great trail attributes, just stay aware you may not be out there alone, and accept the possibility a rider may be nearing. Live to ride, ride to live, stay in control please. Keep it fun, cuz it has great flow.

See ya at the next work party Tue eve.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia

P.s.

I've been riding solo it seems for a week, and as I make my way up I'm more alert than ever for a bear sighting. I've naturally been skirting Rover's since way before the closure; Moose Meadows, up Black Bear and up Brown Bear are way more fun. I've hardly seen any other riders though.

But I know bears are around, I've been seeing the signs. Carry your protection of choice so you can enjoy the trails, yes, amongst the bears, our summer's are short! I feel like I'm out there riding my own personal network! Remember they've always been there, just a few lately have come out of hiding. Grab a few riding buds if that's what it takes.

Here's fresh sign from Brown Bear the other night. I'm respecting that I'm amongst them, that's nothing new, but I'm not letting myself be intimidated either. I'm amongst moose too, and I feel they are way more dangerous! I think I've seen more grouse on the trails this year than bikers. Especially get out there and check out the new trails STA is building!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ologist
    I rode the new trail too this weekend and really enjoyed it. I am very excited about the the more technical trails to come. I also agree about the corners. You will hear me hollering when I come bombing down to let others on the trail users know I am coming (including the bears). I have had too many encounters with silent bikers on blind trails.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I also agree about the corners. You will hear me hollering when I come bombing down to let others on the trail users know I am coming....
    That would be a good trick; hollering while respecting the adjacent neighborhood Quiet Zone.

Diaskeuast
    I finally rode the first section of trail in both directions tonight. As fun as it is now, I can't wait to see it in another year or two as the vegetation comes back.

As I waited for a friend at the top, I saw two riders coming under the "trail closed" sign from the advanced loop, which they had just poached.

PLEASE, people, wait until STA announces that each section is open for riding. A lot of money and effort is going into the construction of this trail network. It would be sad to see the trails damaged by mountain bikers riding them before they're ready.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder, Big K. I can hardly wait till we finish the trails so that we can take all the yellow tape down. Till then, please ask others to respect that the trail is closed.
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 08-26-2008 at 12:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Went or a ride today from Flattop all way down to Campbell Airstrip.

Rode the trail both yesterday and today. No mud, today was considerably faster, dirt had dried out some.

Awesome section, cant wait to see till the rest is done.

mtbr member
    I have to get a trail map so I know which trail I'm ridding! Anyone know of a good place to get one?

I was ridding a power line trail in town by goose lake this weekend and wound up standing in an ankle deep mud bog that I couldn't ride through. So I walked my way back to the hard pack and rode around for a bit more before I got tired of trying to clear the mud from my shoes and pedals. Sounds like a good reason for some new ones!

Members who have read this thread: 0