FB: Boogie Woogie Loogie 4 U - Udate #2- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

FB: Boogie Woogie Loogie 4 U - Udate #2

Take the hint:

Hey Carlos, studs would definitely be the better option. With all the rain and melting we've had lately, it's pretty slick out there. If you get on a trail that was packed at all, it's turned to ice. Don't even think about Brown Bear without them.

Danny and I rode about twenty miles along the hillside yesterday and I'm sure we would have gone down numerous times without the studs. If I do the Frigid Bits event tonight I'll be running them.

Diaskeuast
    I hear there's a test ride happening this afternoon to determine the trail conditions. I'm eager to hear a report. I've been planning to do tonight's ride, but I'm wondering if we should be on the trails. Are they firm enough that we could do it without causing damage?

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I'm curious too. On my ride yesterday I was on the trails at 9:30am, so things were still pretty firm. Plus it was a bit cooler in general overnight Thursday. Maybe I'll do a recon ride myself and check it out.

I see we've got some partial clearing, it sure would be nice to get some cooler temps with that. Anyone else have a report?

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Jul 2006
    I just got back from riding the loop and everything was firm and very bike friendly. A few sections on Rovers are a little questionable and mushy but over all even that was still doable. I would definitely still recommend studs it was a little slick in some areas.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! A Firm Loogie 4U

I just got off the trails after Manny, there are 3 puddles on Rovers that are less than 2 feet long and 18 inches wide. The course had about 1 inch of snow that was very airy.
    The route from Goose to the Tudor pass may cause some Malox moments due to black ice. Today I rode my Ibis Ripley (Softtail ) with a snowcat with studs on the rear and a regular wheel up front with studs. The studs IMO would be the way to go --- I'm 64 and rode it with no problems so all you whippersnappers out there shouldn't have any problems ........

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Fun, Fun, Fun!

I was fearing a mudfest or slushfest given the weather this week but the loop portion of the course was Suh...Weet!! Thin crusty snow layer for traction over the slicker packed down stuff. Single track playground! I rode it with 2.7s sans studs and had no problems but I imagine there are some paved parts between goose lake and tudor where studs would be quite desirable. If you see me laying in trail, there's a good chance there's some ice nearby. No need for the fat boys unles you like the workout.

mtbr member
    I rode with Carlos this afternoon and added in the Tour of Anchorage/Old Rondy trail from the metal bridge to Tudor and beyond. Piece of cake! That Speedway single track was challenging for an ole lady who's only been riding 2 winters. Should be extra special at night with lights. Watch out for the water trap!

Have fun!
    Maura

Members who have read this thread: 0