Favorite Alaskan LBS- Mtbr.com

Poll: Who's your favorite Alaskan LBS?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Favorite Alaskan LBS

We all have our favorites, for my purchases I shop at 58 Deg. North in Kodiak.
    While in Anchorage I visited a number of shops looking to test ride bikes. Speedway Cycles on Spenard was by far the friendliest and most helpful. So where do you spend your money?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Chain Reaction Cycles - not on the list above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rick Shaw @ RTR !!! also not on the list. Followed in a close 2nd by Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    oops accidental double post !

is buachail foighneach me
    There are only 5 bike shops in Alaska??

is buachail foighneach me
    Backcountry Bikes in Palmer is getting busier and busier. Good people, good service.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Flawed poll. RTR is clearly the best in AK. Speedway pssh last time I was in there I couldn't even ask a question salespeople wouldn't even talk to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree about the flawed poll. I should have taken more time to search out all the shops. I tried to add more options to the poll with no luck. Maybe start another thread with the unlisted elements and compare?

mtbr member
    There is a new shop in Eagle River too. Alaska Velo sports. the owner is very friendly, and the prices seem competitive, not a lot in stock due to a small shop
    , but they are new and can most likely get anything you need..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Backcountry Bikes in Palmer is getting busier and busier. Good people, good service.
    I concur. I just moved up here and they are very friendly and helpful.

Beemun's in Soldotna is great also. Brad and Steve are more than willing to help out with any problem you have and just b.s. as well.

Beaver Sports in Fbx is too expensive and snobby for me. I prefer to make the drive to Goldstream Sports and deal with them. Much nicer guys.

mtbr member
    Cycle logical in Homer. Nice guy runs a good shop. The best bike shop Homers probably ever had.

Backcountry Bicycles in the Valley

Paramount Cycles in Anchorage (Been through some of the other shops listed and had good experiences, Paramount just stands out a little bit ahead for some reason)

Beemans in Soldonta. Mixed thoughts good section/ service, but I bought my wifes bike there when we lived on the peninsula and it was the wrong size I come to find out later. Maybe I got a bum sales staffer and my wife didn't communicate things properly??? They do have "kids" working up there at the register sometimes so make sure your talking to one of the shop guys when your there.

Whatever the shop is/ was down in Seward that operated out of one of those rail cars nearby the harbor 10 years ago. I liked that shop and the owner spent lots of money while I lived there. Not sure if their still around. I havent been back to Seward in quite a while actually.

I'm sure there are others out there. Keep posting people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ive had the best experience from Paramount and the Bicycle shop on Dimond. My only wish was that each shop would deal with more companies. It seems that you have to choose your shop based on the brand you want to buy. Luckily I am shopping for a Reign, and Paramount carries them.

mtbr member
    The poll is definitely missing the best shops in Fairbanks. I stay with Goldstream Sports for all of my bike stuff, even though Beaver Sports is only a couple of blocks away. Raven Cross Country is a good little shop too, even though he has limited stock. What he does carry is the right stuff, though.
    - Joe

"Ride to Live, Live to Ride"

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Best Shop

Pat and Kathy's Bike Shop and Art Gallery,

I'm glad they were able to get out of the city, but I sure do miss that shop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had great service from The Bicycle Shop. I've also had great experiences with Chain Reaction and Paramount. Never been to any other shops.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    Flawed poll. RTR is clearly the best in AK. Speedway pssh last time I was in there I couldn't even ask a question salespeople wouldn't even talk to me.
    Flawed poll yes, but you are in the minority on the other 2 accounts. I don't know anyone who had a good experience with RTR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Flawed poll yes, but you are in the minority on the other 2 accounts. I don't know anyone who had a good experience with RTR.
    wow! really! YOU don't know anyone who had a good experience with RTR huh?....................................u must be pretty lonely

Ologist
    Yeah, I live in my parents basement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lucky. My parents don't have a basement. Where is rtr?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by turborobo View Post
    wow! really! YOU don't know anyone who had a good experience with RTR huh?....................................u must be pretty lonely
    How many do you know that have used RTR?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by fordolet View Post
    Lucky. My parents don't have a basement. Where is rtr?
    3110 E 42nd Ave

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I know a few. Everybody I know that uses RTR myself included are loathe to go anywhere else. RTR might not have the fastest turn around all the time but it will be done right. Rick has helped me out by fixing up shitty old bikes when I didn't have the funds to do any better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought a bike from Paramount yesterday, and will say that it was a good experience. They are fair and listen to concerns and worries rather than just waiting for you to pay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i had a great experience at the bicycle shop. went in and was helped right away and test rode 2 brand new specialized bikes stumpjumper expert, and a camber elite. staff was great and very helpfull
    Go big or Go home. It was a hell of a day if you have broken bones!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have only bought a few little things at the Bicycle Shop. But Chris, one of the guys who wrenches, is very knowledgeable when it comes to bikes. He is the only guy I ask when it comes to service questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0