Fatbiking Kenai Peninsula's beaches- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Fatbiking Kenai Peninsula's beaches

Probably like most of you, local riders have gotten pretty tired of our rainy days. I haven't wanted to get out there in the slop and trench up trails. And after seeing the Soggy Bottom pics I'm glad I've been refraining from riding Kenai Peninsula mountain passes. I've even passed on a repeat of the Lost Lake loop we did last year incorporating the historic Iditarod Trail, knowing it would be a slog.

So what are a few ridin' buds supposed to do to get our fix? Let's outfit our fatbikes for a beach riding camping trip! Yeah, that's it. We haven't been on our fatbikes for a while, plus the beaches shouldn't have any mud. After the inspiration Pat Irwin and his wife planted, and some of the chronicles Eric and Dylan have shared, we were sold. Racks were attached, gear stowed in drybags, and a plan was set. Check it out. Choose 720p HD to offer much better image quality.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROFteGthjfQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROFteGthjfQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's a link if you'd rather go straight to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROFteGthjfQ&hd=1

Total length: 68 miles. Twenty-eight the first day, 40 the next. We rode two minus tide cycles, riding five hours the first day, seven hours the second. Seven miles of highway around Ninilchik and Deep Creek, about four miles thru Anchor Point, the rest beach.

Choice times to ride were about two hours after high tide, providing us a full seven hours ride time per tide if needed.

We underestimated the second day of riding and should have at least gotten to Anchor Point or camped at the Whiskey Gulch Beach Access point..... the section from Anchor Point to Homer was very technical in spots, although you wouldn't know it from the video, I never broke the camera out in those stretches.

Two dead whales - numerous waterfalls - no bears or moose on the beaches.

First mechanical was .5 miles from the start..... Shoddy mechanic work on a hydro brake re-build..... Fired the mechanic and got a new one!
    Second Mech - flat front fatty on JR's bike. Third Mech - flat front fatty on JR's Bike. That was it....

Weather started out cloudy with spits of rain and a tail wind. First evening and throughout our sleep rained heavy. Second day of riding was party cloudy and stellar, comfy temps with a slight breezy headwind.

Alcohol consumed: 750 ml of Brandy
    30+ rum singles (with hot Tang, Yummy!)
    12-pack of various beers

We knew we were on a shorter trip, so brought some luxuries! Great fun. So we're scheming about our next adventure already. This was a great appetizer.
    Last edited by EndoRando; 08-19-2010 at 10:11 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man I miss that state. what were you using for your video set up?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice ride and Vid!

Lets see were is my tide book .........

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    what were you using for your video set up?
    GoPro HD. Nothing high tech, just durable and great value. All handheld shots, most of it riding with one hand on the bars, one holding the camera. For such a simple and inexpensive camera it provides super results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great Video!

Endo,

Great job on capturing the essence of this beach ride.

But you should have yelled when you went by our house. We're right at the base of the spit on the seawall. Next time….

Hope you cleaned the sand out of your drive train before hitting the Salty Dawg!

Pat

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Great job on capturing the essence of this beach ride.

But you should have yelled when you went by our house.
    Thanks for the compliment Pat, it was fun putting it all together for sure. We did try to look you up. We detoured on purpose to swing by Kathy's shop, hoping you might be there. The gal that was working there said you both had the weekend off and we missed you. I did mention though for her to relay a hello. Sorry we missed you, it would have been great to run into you again.

We did run into Bearbait at the spit just as we were wrapping it up. Shared a beer with him and yacked a bit. Too bad we all couldn't have gotten together. We'll send you some notice if we repeat.

mtbr member
    nice! thanks for a great video! yes - tides are the key.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

less road/more beach

Endo et al,

Just so you know for next time (you may have figured this out already), Deep Creek, Stariski Cr, and the Anchor River can be crossed at low tide. If you time it all right, you can get off the beach in the old Ninilchik village, go over the river on the bridge right at the mouth, then back on the beach and over Deep Creek and the others. It's about 40 miles from Ninilchik to Homer.

I have a fun winter ride that includes about 60 miles of snowmachine/ski trail from Homer to Clam Gulch, cross over the highway onto the beach where you started, then beach it back to Homer the way you guys just did.

Let me know if you're interested and Pierre( ParkTool) and I will join you

Pat
    435-7077 cell
    FYI- I can see the Salty Dawg from my house!

Members who have read this thread: 0