To the fatbikers who trashed Talkeetna Ski Trails!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

To the fatbikers who trashed Talkeetna Ski Trails!

So here I am the most enthusiastic and vocally supportive fatbiker in Talkeetna.

Imagine my horror: the whole community is pointing fingers at me and squinting angrily. "Some fatbikers made furrows right down the middle of the freshly-groomed diagonal stride tracks out on the river this weekend," they're saying. "When they couldn't ride anymore they WALKED on it! What the HELL were you thinking?"

"I wasn't thinking anything," I'm saying back. "It wasn't ME!"

They don't believe me. Can't say as I really blame them. They don't know too many other guys who LIVE on the Talkeetna River and who ride a Pugsley everywhere. Heck, the trail for the Oosik Classic Ski Race, which those fatbikers ruined, is routed right about past my cabin door. I'm the prime suspect.

But it WASN'T me: I swear. It was somebody from outside Talkeetna. Somebody who forgot that you don't ride fatbikes on other people's groomed ski trails.

I'm never gonna live this down. But don't worry: I've volunteered to go out and re-groom the trashed section. Of course, now everybody's convinced it was me. You know: "The fatbiker doth protest too much, methinks," and all that jazz.

But it wasn't me.

Sigh.

No, that's not phonetic
    Man, that sucks. It's hard to escape that stuff in a small town. I feel for ya.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Wow! What an incredible response!

Following is a letter written by the president of Talkeetna's Ski Club to the club membership telling about the incredible response he got to the news that fatbikers had trashed the Oosik Ski trail. Aren't mountain bikers and skiers all just wonderful people?

Skiers,
    Many of you may have read the e-mail I put out about a week ago regarding the damage to the freshly groomed Oosik Trail by some fat tire cyclists. Well, we live in a small, tightly-knit community and , of course, word got out that we were not pleased by the damage done to the trail. Eventually, the message got to the folks who had done the riding - good folks up for a weekend of fun who, because of a misunderstanding thought it was okay to hit the trails. At some point into their ride they realized that it was not a good thing they were doing, but at that point there was no turning back so they made as quick an exit as possible.
    As it turns out, all the riders are skiers and "ardent ski club supporters" and they felt badly enough about what they had done that they took up a collection as an expression of their apologies and deep regret for "hurting the volunteer efforts of the Talkeetna community". In addition, one of the riders also included a personal donation as an expression of support for "the community, ski club and the good work you do for trails and Junior Nordic". The donations to the ski club total $2000.00.
    Although the groomers were really bummed when they saw the trail, I think they may be ready to take back some of the bad things that were said about fat tire cyclists.
    If anyone would like to read the letter I have it at my house.

No, that's not phonetic
    That's a super ending. Thanks for the update.

Ologist
    ^ agreed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    WOW cudos to those guys, they could have easily let you take the blame but instead they restored the black eye and likely there karma as well. I am utterly convinced that we can all get along. For every silly article published about trail user conflicts and rising tempers I am sure there are many more stories like this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0