Fat Bike Documentary- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Fat Bike Documentary

Fat Bikers,
    I am making a documentary on the winter bike revolution here in Alaska. I will be covering all aspects of winter biking, including the evolution of the “Fat Bike”. I will begin shooting in January and will be filming through March.

All are welcome to participate, old timers and newbies, I am looking for:
    1. Recommendations on who you think should be interviewed (including yourself).
    2. Anyone who has old, homebuilt “fat bike” designs, love to find the infamous “Six Pack”. I could also use old photos.
    3. Anyone with a great winter riding "epic" story.
    4. Anyone who doesn’t mind being on camera and doesn’t mind riding back and forth a million times in order to get the shot. I am in need of bike commuters and wilderness riders. I am also in need of someone doing the Su100 for the first time. If there is any event you think should be documented, let me know. I am going to try and make it to as many events as possible (as many as my wife and son will allow!)

This film is being professional shot, in full hi-def. The target for the film is the outdoor film festival circuit along with the numerous bike film festivals.

Being a documentary, this is being self funded. I am always looking for sponsors, individuals or businesses. Imagine you company’s name plastered on the big screen in front of thousands of bikers and outdoor adventurers, throughout the world!

Anyways, send me an email with any and all suggestions or if you are interested in being in the film.

[email protected]

See you on the trail,
    Carl

This place needs an enema
    Sounds like a heckuvan ambitious project--best of luck.

Among the many, many Alaskans that you need to talk to are Mark Groenwald, Bill Merchant, Rick Shaw, Billy Koitsch (sp? sorry...), and Greg Matyas. Between them you'll get a heapin' helpin' of past, present, and, uh, present, from the mechanical and competitive (which has driven the mechanical) perspectives.

It'd also be neat to see Gil Hjellen and Pete Basinger in a cage match interview...

Ooops--just thinkin' out loud...

MC

mtbr member

the Godfather

Required is Simon Rakower ([email protected]), the Godfather of winterbiking.
    "The Iditasport, a 160 mile (from '87 to '96) winter bike race, provided the original inspiration for Snow Cat rims. The last five runnings of this event have been dominated by riders on our rims. The 1995 Iditasport saw first through fifteenth places taken on Snow Cats.

When the Iditasport began (then called the Iditabike) participants went on a mad scramble to find the widest rims and tires that would fit on a bike. In response to this seach for an ever wider platform, Simon Rakower, who was (and still is) the tech support person for the race, started hand making rims for the participants.

By welding two rims together, then carefully cutting out the middle ridge, Simon was able to get a rim that would fit in every frame, but still offer the greatest possible flotation for the riders.

After the making the first fifty pairs, demand reached the point where it was practical to have our own extrusion. Thus was born the Snow Cat. Besides, the shop employees were really sick and tired of cutting little sections of rim out of the middle." http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

he was supposedly last seen headed in the direction of New York with an armfull of Snow Cats.

Also recomended to me are Richard Larson, John Evenson (Mr Hydro Cleaner)

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Maybe an odd choice,but

How about Remolino (sp)? Didn't he also pioneer the "fatbike" with his sand bike and wide rims? I know it is not Alaska w/snow...but fat is fat.

Fatback
    Steve Baker was the man who paved the way for all of us. He was responsible for the infamous 3 tired wheels. Steve was way ahead of his time, an excellent frame builder (known then as Icycle) and all around talented craftsman. I will see if I can get him to dust those things off. I tried to get him out last year, but it didn't work out.
    Let's get Rocky in that cage match with Pete.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Muskoka
    I'm not from Alaska and I park my bike and xc-ski in winter. But I think these fatbikes are way cool! Eagerly waiting to see the FatBike Documentary

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Fifteen years into figuring out how to stay warm and only fly over the handlebars once or twice during a four-hour ride, I'm over my sense of fomenting a "revolution" in cycling. True to form, we've evolved into the usual business of shaving grams and trying to outdo each other pimping up our rides. But it's showbiz and it will take some artistic license to capture any attention in the Utube Nation.

Back in the day- before Iditasport was voted off the reality TV island by sexier and more tropical programs- our race was lousy with European and Asian filmmakers trying to comprehend (and occasionally capture) our annual bout with mid-winter lunacy. Their antics and misadventures were often more comical than our own preposterous sense of purpose without meaning. I would encourage a diligent search for some of that "glory days" footage.

It's probably not what the audience will want to hear, but some mention should be made about our symbiotic (and ironic) relationship with the snow machine. Without the gigantic and intrusive carbon footprint of this noisy, stinky, macho-bozo "sport", none of our fun would have been possible and a few of us would be lighter some fingers and toes. Those guys are the greatest, including the pre-op transsexual who rallied every February to break trail.

While there seems to be a lot to be said about 65 vs 75 vs 85 vs 100, the back-story that has kept me on the starting line for so many years is the opportunity to ride off the grid into still-wild country and spend a little time with the women and men (and moose and wolves) who call it home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Thanks, keep it coming

Everyone,
    Thanks for all the beta and info I am going to very busy, but keep it coming.
    Cheers,
    Carl

vtsnow
    Well put Jacques!

.......and then there is always Dan Bull to recognize for putting Iditabike on the map with his inspiration from Joe Redington.

Steve

is buachail foighneach me
    i would definitely be interested in seeing brief interviews with the men and women of the iditarod(the dog race) that sled past the iditasport racers every year. i could only imagine the reactions some of them had the first time they saw a bike out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of winter.

mtbr member
    you might want to check out some of the wicked cool video from this site:

http://vimeo.com/1384708?pg=embed&sec=1384708

It does not look like this guy has winter biking on the video clips, but he is featuring his pugsely...so cool nonetheless....I need one!

Members who have read this thread: 0