Fat 29er tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fat 29er tires

Caveman

Fat 29er tires

Who has experience with the Weirwolf 2.55 29"ers in the snow?
    are the sidewalls good enough?
    Just curious.
    What other new wide tires are out there now since the exiwolf?

I've been out of the loop.

E

ps- Evil post! # 666 for me - argh!
    Last edited by Bearbait; 12-11-2007 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Got some racing ralphs at the shop that are supposed to be 2.4.
    Reports are, they are big. Maybe bigger than the ww Lt?
    Not sure. you should check em out.

After looking at the Endos on varios rims, all the 29er stuff looks really small in comparison.

You should offer to trade mike some sewn goods for a pair of proto 2.6 tires he's been riding.

No, that's not phonetic
    Or put your sewing machine to good use and stitch 2 tire carcasses side-by-side like the good old days.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 12-11-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

is buachail foighneach me
    i've been using the weirwolf on shallow snow for a couple of weeks now, and it works better than expected. not nearly as much pack-up as the 26" version. plenty of traction out back, in the reverse direction(chevrons cupping as opposed to pushing). i'm still gonna shave some knobs off to see if i can make it better, as it does slide a bit while turning. the 26" did that too. it's predictable, but unwanted all the same.

the panaracer rampage has a wider casing, as far as i can tell.

being the seamster that you are, i'm sure you could make a monster with a couple of tires... pacenti sewed his original 650b tires, arrow sewed their original serious 24" downhill tires. the stitching would last forever on snow. i've sewn holes in the tread of tires before. it lasts forever on the front, and a few hundred miles out back.

Beware of Doggerel
    I had the WW 29er tires mounted on snowcats last year. I even did a bunch of back to back rides with the pugs to compare the two. In town the WW are fine. I don't know that they are all that much better than the exi wolves though. Probably a little better but no big deal IMO. Sidewalls seemed fine but I only rode them in and around town, so no really low pressures and never on a loaded bike.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Caveman
    Woah.
    You guys are on to something with the mutant double tire thing...
    a double exi 4.6 29" tire.
    I'm sure I could try it.

The real deal though would be making a mutant double tire for those 100mm rims on a fatback. A 4.5" maybe? Give me some old 26" tires and I'll try it some time. You could cut out the center beads and try to run one endo tube... or just drill a second valve hole in the rim for double tubes.

I'm getting giddy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I had the WW 29er tires mounted on snowcats last year.
    Me too. Didn't have a Pugs to compare it to though; night and day difference?

I had used Exi's the previous year, and the Weirwolfs are a worthy upgrade. I'm at 175, and they were relatively stable for me down to ~12 psi (measured @ 60 degrees). The sidewalls showed no undue wear either, but we only had a few weeks of serious snow pack here in MA last year.

Nevegals/Rampages would be an interesting alternative since they offer comparable volume but more aggressive knobs that might help in off camber stuff (e.g. ruts, throughs, etc). I found it hard to correct the WW's when they started to slide, especially with the low psi.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Me too. Didn't have a Pugs to compare it to though; night and day difference?
    ps

Yeah night and day, but each has its place. The 29er feels fast and zippy on the hard to medium pack trails. The Pugs just felt unstoppable all places all times. The other thing was, that in general, I really don't like the way my 29er feels when its loaded down for an overnight (which may have more to do with the flexy ti frame than the 29 inch wheels). The pugs rides more or less the same whether loaded or unloaded and that is a big deal for me. That said I still reached for my 29er for rides up Eagle River, out to the Knik Glacier, and most rides around Anchorage last year. The Pugs went everywhere else.

This year, once we get snow, my wildfire will be doing snow duties and I doubt the 29er will see much snow. It's fine and all but its just really hard to beat those fat tires. If I was going on a ride where I was uncertain of the conditions or expected a little of everything I would reach for the wildfire, hands down.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Members who have read this thread: 0