Far North Trail Plan- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

Far North Trail Plan

I attended the public meeting on Monday to get a look at the proposed projects for Far North Bicentennial Park trails. Emphasis on proposed, the final plan is scheduled for this spring. When they are finalized it would mean that the user group has permission from the Municipality to undertake the project whenever they have the funding to do so.

Many are needed upgrades to trailheads and bridges. A few affect trails often used by mountain bikers, whether positively or negatively will depend on the type of riding you do.

Here's the ones I remember:

Portions of the 2.5 k and 4.5 k loops would be upgraded to what's known as a "class 4" trail - no obstacles, smooth surface, brush and trees cleared back a certain amount, no sharp turns or steep grades. I'm don't know if these trails are known by different names; the portion that would be altered is the section of trail (the 2.5 k loop) that starts from the tank trail at the North Bivouac parking lot and runs west, paralleling Campbell Airstrip Road to an intersection with a single track (the 4.5 k loop portion) which goes to the tunnel near the Campbell Airstrip trailhead. According to the member of the trail team I talked to, the idea behind this is to give the ski jourers a big loop to follow, right now they've decided to more or less abandon Rover's Run. Right now the trails are what they refer to as "Class 2", i.e. what mountain bikers usually like.

The North Gasline Trail under the powerline from Chugach Foothills to the tank trail would be upgraded with bridges over Campbell Creek and the other small creek, and a lot of retreading and regrading.

The tank trail would be retreaded and presumably somewhat de-puddled.

Some projects that might be added but are presently absent are smaller projects to fix muddy sections on trails without altering the trails themselves, such as on the Black Bear trail and the Moose Ridge loop. No doubt there are other places where some small drainage and surface projects could enhance the riding and walking experience.

The home page is http://www.muni.org/parks/FNBPTrailsPlanHome.cfm
    The trail map is http://www.muni.org/iceimages/parks/...rail%20Map.pdf
    I haven't looked at this, according to the web page it is a map of the proposed projects.
    Comments can be submitted.

Mr.Secret
    OH BOY, Kincaid North, I can't wait..........yawn
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Ologist
    Lame....

Alaska Turner Mafia

There were some positive points

This meeting was to list potential projects for the next 10 to 15 years. It was a chance for all to give some input to their desires for park development. If you missed it, you may wind up with future park results you had no comment on. We're talkin' about a large scale master plan here. There's quite a variety of user groups, don't let your thoughts get trumped by activities you don't participate in.

A few mentions surfaced that may benefit mt bikers, some mentions were aimed at creating commuter connectors, and I heard discussion about more skijoring networks as well as some single direction classical XC ski trails. A show of hands was made for first timers at one of these meetings, and most raised their hands. It was probably the largest gathering at the Science Center I've seen yet. With the heightened hype about the park lately, more are taking an active role in its development.

You can already sense there's consideration being given to the high bear traffic corridor along the creek, with plans being laid for trails on the north side of Campbell Airstrip Rd.

A bridge upgrade for Blue Dot was one of the mentions I was curious about. I'd really like to see that happen. Phase 2 of the STA trails north of the gorge area may not get permission due to the bear density, and I was bummed to hear of that.

You may have certain pet projects you'd like to see transpire, so the time to comment is now. There are still forms there you can fill out with your comments, or do so online, just follow the link Adrian provided. It's your park, give it your two cents.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Mr.Secret
    Endo, I've been to a couple of those meetings and each time their (typically the ski club in the past) minds are made up and your input don't mean squat as to what's going on. If its changed to a more open platform I'm all for it. Just kind'a jaded on how these meetings have been handled in the past.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    I've been to a couple of those meetings and each time their (typically the ski club in the past) minds are made up and your input don't mean squat as to what's going on.
    I've been noticing a shift in the park use philosophy to include an emphasis on use by all user groups. The latest buzzword is "legacy" and I'm getting the impression that the land managers don't want to leave behind an impression of only catering to the most powerful group. The smaller players are being listened to as much as those with big bucks, at least that's IMHO. Some plans are even being broadcast as being for the good of the entire user community, like expanding N. Bivouac parking. It's been well known that the South lot is chronically unsafe, so there's an idea circulating to eliminate it, expand the North lot to include four rows for parking, and install a culvert underpass for road crossing and access towards the Spencer bridge. Input is being solicited.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How many mt bikers in Anchorage?
    How many show up at meetings like this big one? BLM's trying to get a plan together for the next 10 to 15 years. Pay attention and make your voice heard unless you want the Nordic Ski Association widen every trail to 22'.

Jul 2008
    Just to clarify. This is a MUNI plan for the next 15 years or so. The website will be updated on Monday with all of the materials that were available at the public meeting. You can comment through the website. If you have questions, think something is missing or want to talk more about the projects give a call.

Members who have read this thread: 0