Eklutna Thursday- Mtbr.com
    Wood chips are stupid

Eklutna Thursday

T Woody and I are riding at Eklutna Lake on Thurs. Taking Fat Bikes. Will have little picnic at end of lake.Bring own food. Mid to late morning set out time. All are invited. Will not go if it's raining.

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jul 2006
    I will have to play hooky from my duties that day, but you know what count me in!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Leonard, Darcy says count her in- let her know the details.

mtbr member

Thursday?

Doesn't any body work anymore?
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Diaskeuast

Get up, stand up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotony
    Doesn't any body work anymore?
    You think sick days should be wasted on illness? That's just a myth created by The Man to keep you down.

Wood chips are stupid

The skinny

Thursday at Eklutna Lake Parking lot
    Bring parking fee
    start riding at 11am for now
    trail probably not groomed...fat tires
    12 miles each way(ride)
    bring food and drink to eat and drink
    booze is allowed

Im gonna bring a MSR stove and some Mt House
    maybe some sausage,cheese and a IPod
    Not sure how long will be spent at the end of the trail.
    I want to be able to make the Aces game that night.

akdeluxe

JT

Dec 2006
    Dang sounds like fun but I got class I gotta attend and I caught a cold... also the bike(in between bike build bike) has a rear flat that I will fill up with something other than air.

Wood chips are stupid

it will be deep

Im sure it snowed at Eklutna as well. Still on. Bring extra water for the extra effort.

akdeluxe

JT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Leonard

I finally got the Raleigh put together (had some sudden motivation), do you think 2.7's would cut it?

Wood chips are stupid

Cutting it

Yea,I think 2.7 would do ok. You will have to play with air pressure a little. Be sure to use valve caps so they wont be iced up when it is time to adjust.

akdeluxe

JT

Jul 2006
    If any one wants to Carpool. I have room for one more.

Diaskeuast
    Current weather data from the "Moraine Station" a thousand feet above the lake on the Bold Ridge Trail. (So far, conditions look decent)
    Last edited by Big Karma; 11-14-2007 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Looks like my condition has deteriorated to the point that I'll be able to make it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be feeling better to make it to work on Friday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    ...and just like that, I am out. I forgot about a stupid HOA meeting about driveways at 3 tomorrow (yawn). I have to be there though 'cause the muni repaved the road and screwed up our driveways and if I don't go, no reparations for me. Been a homeowner for all of 6 months and already I miss renting. DAMIT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    DAMITx2 Meeting was today and I already missed it. I have to lay off the Whisky. So I'm back....like anyone is going to read this before tomorrow.

Jul 2006

A couple pics from today!

Great ride and perfect weather. And on top of that I got home and Brown paid me a visit I got my new stove and goodies in today................
    Last edited by aka bubba; 11-15-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Jul 2006
    A few more.

Diaskeuast

One more set

A few shots from my camera. There should be a quiz to see how many people you can identify by their forum names.

I'm from Utah
    Wow ... looks a little soft out there. How did the Pugsleys do?

We want... a shrubbery!
    Now I want a fat bike. Hmmm, furniture for a new house or a fat bike? Posts like this are going to get in me in pretty big trouble with the significant other... THANKS A LOT.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Eklutna Sick Day Ride

Great job everyone posting photos of what looked like an awesome day on the trail. Posting photos is the best way to describe how the ride was. No words are needed to know how much fun it must've been. I particularly liked the one of SkiMonkee looking like road kill and the Fat Tire parking lot with the lake and mtns in the background. I can't wait to get a Fatback, I'll get sick and be there too.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    and Brown paid me a visit
    No comments on this? Really? I guess it's too easy.

I felt a little bit like road kill after that ride. That was the debut of my not-so-fat faux snaux bike and I definitely learned some things, including that my tuning skills need some tuning. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised how well my 2.7s held up compared to the Endomorphs in that softer stuff. We were all pushing at times but only a couple times where I was the only one. I do think I may have had to work a bit harder in the softer margins though.

Ologist
    Looks like fun...some people were stuck at work

Did you get a look at any of the ice/waterfalls up there? Was Cascade Falls frozen?

Any info is much appreciated!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We only made it a mile or 2 past the Bold Ridge trail so we did not get a look at the climbs back across from the Serenity falls hut but none of the smaller streams on the way out were frozen completely (or even close really) and there wasn't really any ice forming on the lake yet. Not sure which one is Cascade Falls but maybe that helps.

Assuming you're looking for climbing info. If you don't know about it already, this (http://www.alaskaiceclimbing.com/) is usually a good source but doesn't like it's getting much action at this point. I think that's a pretty good indication of conditions.

Ologist
    Yeah, thanks. I've been checking that site periodically - it is real quiet. Pretty late year. It's been great for biking though!! I wouldn't mind autumns like this every year.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 11-16-2007 at 07:13 PM.

I'm from Utah
    Oh yeah, Brian, I was going to say that the Snaux Bike is looking really good. I don't know how many people on this forum that Raleigh frame has cycled through, but it's definitely seen its share of adventures.

My experience with the 2.7/Snowcat combo was similar ... I always thought they were pretty good in fresh snow, as long as there was a base down there somewhere for them to grab. Plus, you're lighter than all those obese Surlys, so next time, leave 'em in the dust.

Wood chips are stupid

air it out

The trail up to a downed tree,about three miles, was quite good. After that,it became softer and softer as we traveled further back. After a while we decided to start letting air out of our tires. Big improvement! The fat tires became more effective and made travel easier. Funny thing about that, each year it takes a couple of miles of horrible suffering before I remember to let air out Good riding partners.Good trip. Over nighter next time!

akdeluxe

JT

Jul 2006
    It was a little nerve wrecking leting that much air out of the tire at first. But what a night and day diffrence, it was amazeing how low you could go!

Caveman
    sweet photos guys - I think that is the best action shot of akdeluxe ever taken, looks like he's getting some rear wheel drift from pushing with those big guns.

Members who have read this thread: 0