Eklutna- Mtbr.com

Thread: Eklutna

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Eklutna

Anyone been to Eklutna Lake lately? How's the trail?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have not been out there yet this season. However, with the winter we have had I am sure the trails are still plenty wet and muddy. Officially trails do not open until June 1st.

If you insist on trying it before that date at least give it another week or so to dry out.It cuts down on the ruts the trails will have in them for the rest of the summer.

Ologist
    I flew over it last week and it was getting pretty clear. It is open year round and is not subject to seasonal closure as most hiking skiing trails are.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I flew over it last week and it was getting pretty clear. It is open year round and is not subject to seasonal closure as most hiking skiing trails are.
    Hey thats good to know ! Maybe I will try that out this weekend then . Thanks

Ologist
    I am going to head to Kepler Bradley and out on the Glenn - those trails are the driest right now.

Mar 2007

kepler crevasse moraine

trails were closed 2 weekends ago by parks until further notice, definetly muddy in the woods and all the connector trails between the fields are muddy, there was lots of frost in the ground and we still have below freezing a.m.'s so i would avoid them for another week or so

Mr.Secret
    I am going to head to Kepler Bradley and out on the Glenn - those trails are the driest right now.
    The climbs are fine on the trails off the Glenn but the "bench's" are VERY muddy. Prepare for seized jockey pulleys as well as a very crusty chain. Look out for the quad-tards too.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by powder80
    trails were closed 2 weekends ago by parks until further notice, definetly muddy in the woods and all the connector trails between the fields are muddy, there was lots of frost in the ground and we still have below freezing a.m.'s so i would avoid them for another week or so
    Ouch - did the valley get all that snow 2 weeks ago too?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    The climbs are fine on the trails off the Glenn but the "bench's" are VERY muddy. Prepare for seized jockey pulleys as well as a very crusty chain. Look out for the quad-tards too.
    "Quad-tards"!! _ that's great!!

A group of 5 of us were up the Permanente close to the climb to the mine this week last year and we got some serious looks of shock and bewilderment as if the quad hunters had never seen a bike before.

Mr.Secret
    "Quad-tards"!! _ that's great!!

A group of 5 of us were up the Permanente close to the climb to the mine this week last year and we got some serious looks of shock and bewilderment as if the quad hunters had never seen a bike before.
    The quad-chicks seem to dig it though
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Was up at Eklutna last weekend. The last few miles into Serenity Falls were challenging with a few inches of snow, but it was melting fast. Rinsed off in the lake afterwards. Sorry Anchorage people if the water has been salty this week.

Mar 2007

crevase moraine

was at crevasse running on saturady and extremely wet and muddy on the crevasse-mat lake trail, the fields were dry but all the connector trails very wet, hopefully another week if the wind keeps up and we don't freeze at night

Ologist
    Eklutna was dry as a bone minus a couple of puddles and an avalanche runout on Sat.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, I need to get over there and ride some dirt roads to get ready for the Denali Hwy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Eklutna was dry as a bone minus a couple of puddles and an avalanche runout on Sat.
    I was out there on Sunday. Always a great first of the season ride. I was surprised at how dry it was, maybe they did not get that last dump of snow we had..

mtbr member

Eklutna Photos Friday 5-16-08

Eklutna's fine. Posted on www.akspokes.com

Eklutna Glacier 024.jpgEklutna Glacier 4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0