Eddie Cochran said: "There ain't no cure for the summertime blues"- Mtbr.com
    Grillin' & Chillin'

Eddie Cochran said: "There ain't no cure for the summertime blues"

Eddie never rode his bike on the Hillside Trails in the winter, otherwise he would have known what the cure is.

After spending three weeks in October riding across California, the high desert of Nevada and Utah and the scorchin' highways of Arizona I was looking forward to coming home to some fresh cooling snow packed trails to ride on. Not so. It was warmer when I came home on the 1st of November than when I left on the 5th of October. So, I would have to wait. I hate waiting.

The scheduled Frigid Bits that occured yesterday wasn't getting me to excited as it didn't seem much of an event without snow. So I opted to do some finish mudding on the walls at my friends cabin on East Papoose Lake, just west of Big Lake. As I arrived at his cabin on Saturday it started to snow. My first thought was I hope they have snow for the Search For Uranus Ride, as it is easier to find in the white snow. But, I was also thinking that being at the cabin now sucks as I won't be hangin' with my riding buds at the world famous Frigid Bits, in the snow.

I was so pumped up when I arrived home I was actually thrilled to have to shovel the driveway. Finally moving to the top of my to do list was the mounting of my Nokians. I then checked with Andy M. about our previously scheduled ride for late this afternoon. I said "Dude!, I've just mounted my studs" (does that sound right?) "It's time to ride!" Andy replyed with a little disappointment "It's just a little too much". So after hanging up it took me about 2 seconds to say "Screw it!", ran upstairs to layer-up, strap on my cleats and fly out the door. Beavis said, "Huuuh huuh huh, he said strap-on"

Tunes - most important. For a beautiful ride up the Hillside in near white out conditions at 5:30pm the selection of Derek and the Dominoes, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs seemed quite appropriate. When "Key To The Highway" started to blaze in my ear-buds I was just starting to roll up Rovers Run. If you've never heard this amazing blues jam, with Eric Clapton and Duane Allman trading licks for nearly 10 minutes, or if you haven't listened to it for awhile, as I hadn't, you need to give it a listen. It was unbelievably mesmerizing to float along on the fresh powder with the soundtrack for my evening trail ride being Eric and Duane laying down some of the best blues licks you'll ever hear. Thank you Eric, Duane and Jack Frost.

Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice story.

So, are studs the tire of choice in the CT right now or is it snowbike season? thx.

We want... a shrubbery!
    'Tis a good story, and this was the inspiration I used mount up studs on my bike and then my post titled, 'Studs.' Yea, I'm lacking in creativity these days, and I couldn't think of anything else for the title.

And on a side note, tires of choice in the CT? What is that referring to? Or rather, where is that referring to?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    CT = Campbell Tract (or anywhere in that area)

Members who have read this thread: 0