Earphones in Kincaid- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

Earphones in Kincaid

Seems to be the new cool thing to do. Had to shout at two individuals today from behind. "Oh, you scared me!".

"Really? Imagine that..." Be a d-bag to all the other trail riders/giving us a bad name and then act like it's someone else's fault when you're "scared" because they have to scream above your music? Life is hard.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Betcha they're nuckledraggers too.... Same sh!t, different season.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So what? Why do you care what other people do?? I wear headphones sometimes, I like to listen to audiobooks while I ride not really any of your damn business. But then again you're not passing me either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm with chugachjed I ride with my head phones all the time. If you want to pass just holler and I will move over. I have came upon plenty of folks that don't have head phones on and don't hear me then go through the same process. So what's your point.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    So what? Why do you care what other people do?? I wear headphones sometimes, I like to listen to audiobooks while I ride not really any of your damn business. But then again you're not passing me either.
    It works both ways, unless you only ride one-way trails 100% of the time... What about when some hikers or just another rider is coming around the corner? They don't deserve any slowing before you suddenly skid to a stop in front of them? I wasn't complaining about you in this thread anyway, I was complaining about people riding along not aware of their surroundings that are slower, and after the first few attempts to let them know I'm there, I have to resort to yelling, and then they act all crazy surprised. Who's business is it to keep good relations with the trail user groups?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm pretty sure this all falls under the category of "don't be a jerk."

I've been on both ends of this. I've been the clueless person and I've been the person trying not to run over the clueless person ó hell, sometimes in the same ride. I try my best to be nice about it regardless of which end I'm on, since we're all just out there to have a good time.

But I'll say this: If you're headphoned and get surprised by someone, it's probably time to put the headphones away. And I think that's all the OP was saying.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It works both ways, unless you only ride one-way trails 100% of the time... What about when some hikers or just another rider is coming around the corner? They don't deserve any slowing before you suddenly skid to a stop in front of them? I wasn't complaining about you in this thread anyway, I was complaining about people riding along not aware of their surroundings that are slower, and after the first few attempts to let them know I'm there, I have to resort to yelling, and then they act all crazy surprised. Who's business is it to keep good relations with the trail user groups?
    I have bells on my rigid bike. Everybody hears me coming

mtbr member
    May 2014

Earphones in Kincaid

Bell

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I dunno. I have definitely thrown the earbuds in if I am staring at a couple hour fire road climb but in general I'm not in favor or music on the trail. I feel the same way about it on the ski hill too. From the human element/interaction I find that more often than not its rarely a case of 'yell and I'll move over'. More often it is a case of:

1) I'm 20-30 feet away and would like to keep my momentum, and yell (politely) 'Hey there, can I come by'
    2) Can't hear me - no response
    3) 10 feet out - 'On your left please!'
    4) Nothing
    5) roll up on 'em practically brushing rubber. 'On your left please!'
    6) 'Oh, Sorry! Didn't hear you, do you want by?'
    7) 'Yes, Thanks. Have a good ride!'

All in all, a pretty harmless interaction and not a big deal but a minor annoyance sometimes. And if you can't tell by all the 'pleases' scattered in there, yes, I am Canadian Regardless of your opinion on the matter, there is no need to be rude on the trail.

What I DON'T like (personally) about earbuds is the following:

- I like to hear what my bike is doing. Creaks, shifts, suspension reactions. Is the bike riding well or does something need tweaked.

- Hearing other people on the trail. Is my buddy behind me yelling to stop or help?

- Hearing wildlife. Usually seen rather than heard but I have had it the other way around too.

Just my opinion. But one benefit of the earbuds - if you are rockin' out to some sweet Bon Jovi and belting out Livin' on a prayer most everyone is gonna hear ya comin'.
    -Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    One in, one out. Music, and the ability to hear other stuff around you. I don't need surround sound while riding.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    One in, one out. Music, and the ability to hear other stuff around you. I don't need surround sound while riding.
    Yep, one would just think it's common courtesy, if there's someone else on the trail going the opposite way, or hikers, you may hear them BEFORE you panic-stop in front of them and scare the crap out of them, which would be better for trail access and relations than running into them around a corner or scaring them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I don't ride with earphones, however that's just personal preference. I don't think it's a big deal as long as the person is reasonably paying attention. Riding with a really loud bell seems to me to be roughly the same as riding with earphones anyway.

Like paynetc and DucRR said, were out there to have fun and be good ambassadors for the mtn. biking community. So big deal if you have to wait a bit to get around someone? You can make up your Strava time on the next lap

On the singletrack the only time I hear anyone before I see them is if they are talking/yelling to each other or if they have a pretty loud bear bell. As far as animals - I cannot honestly think many situations when hearing wildlife warned me they were on the trail. When I hear wildlife, it is when they are breaking brush/sticks somewhere off trail. If they are close enough for me to hear them, it's really too late. Watching ahead for them has always worked best for me. I try to scan ahead on the sides of the trail and not stay focused strictly on the trial directly in front of me.

I think it is equally if not more important to always be thinking and preparing while riding.
    "What will I do if a rider/moose/hiker is around this corner?";
    "Is there a good place to bail to the side if someone comes down the trail or I need to avoid _______ ." etc. etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If you're wearing headphones, then you are not fully aware of your surroundings. In the middle of summer, when the brush has come in, there will be times that you will hear wildlife before you see it. Moose have calved, and there are numerous reports of bear activity in Kincaid already this year. There is always potential danger, especially at high speed on a bike. Trail users should always be fully aware of their surroundings for their safety and the safety of others.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Very well said wsobchak-if you are wearing headphones anywhere while riding a bike (or running, or roller blading, or riding your long board or....while driving your car!) you are putting yourself and other riders in a dangerous situation. I just had this safey conversation with my daughter-do not wear headphones while running or riding your bike, especially when you are alone! Ask any police officier or campus security personnel-they will tell you to leave them at home!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
    If you're wearing headphones, then you are not fully aware of your surroundings. In the middle of summer, when the brush has come in, there will be times that you will hear wildlife before you see it. Moose have calved, and there are numerous reports of bear activity in Kincaid already this year. There is always potential danger, especially at high speed on a bike. Trail users should always be fully aware of their surroundings for their safety and the safety of others.
    Because you can't listen to music or an audiobook and be fully aware of your surroundings nobody can? Respectfully I must disagree. Quit trying to impose your personal views on everybody. I rode without headphones yesterday, before that I rode Johnson Pass, alone, at night, with headphones. I saw the moose and I avoided the moose.

You shouldn't interrupt those that are doing with your nonsense about a thing being undoable.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfatty View Post
    Ask any police officier or campus security personnel-they will tell you to leave them at home!
    Always the most intelligent and well informed sources of knowledge and wisdom.

mtbr member

Earphones in Kincaid

I'm not taking a side and I'm a supporter of personal choice but if you do injure someone while riding with earbuds in you might have a tougher fight in court. http://www.brucedeming.com/blog/what...negligence.cfm

Not to mention a forum in which you proclaim your lack of giving a crap might not look so good displayed on the flat screen of the courthouse. Once it's on the interwebs it's forever.

Sent from headquarters.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quit trying to impose your personal views on everybody.
    I'm not imposing anything on anyone. I simply answered your question with a fact, not an opinion. Riding with headphones increases risk. Period. Your actions increase risk for other trail users, and you accuse me of imposing my views on people. Give me a break.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This whole discussion is a bunch of crap, no one owns the trails, everybody needs to be looking out for other trail users, if you have to slow your roll for someone else so what.
    After we get rid of headphones we should look at bear bells because they could stop you from hearing the other person with bear bells coming down the hill so maybe we should all stop having bear bells on are bikes. Yea and we should have bike inspection because if you are using one of those "old bikes" that have rim brake you are putting me at risk with your faulty equipment. I think we should go one step further maybe we should limit trail use to people that have no hearing impairment and have at least 20/20 eye site. Better yet STOP USING THE TRAILS YOU ARE PUTTING ME AND MY EARPHONES AT RISK! I will sue you! Sounds like we have plenty of volunteers on this form to be the trail naziís

mtbr member

Earphones in Kincaid

Sent from headquarters.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's what I'm talking about We all safer now

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    This whole discussion is a bunch of crap, no one owns the trails, everybody needs to be looking out for other trail users, if you have to slow your roll for someone else so what.
    After we get rid of headphones we should look at bear bells because they could stop you from hearing the other person with bear bells coming down the hill so maybe we should all stop having bear bells on are bikes. Yea and we should have bike inspection because if you are using one of those "old bikes" that have rim brake you are putting me at risk with your faulty equipment. I think we should go one step further maybe we should limit trail use to people that have no hearing impairment and have at least 20/20 eye site. Better yet STOP USING THE TRAILS YOU ARE PUTTING ME AND MY EARPHONES AT RISK! I will sue you! Sounds like we have plenty of volunteers on this form to be the trail naziís
    Did someone step on your kitten?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Did someone step on your kitten?
    Ran over it, while wearing earphones!
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    This is an interesting article that belongs in this discussion.

Headphones prevent hiker from hearing wolf attack his dog | Alaska Dispatch

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oblivious person is oblivious