Eagle River, just got a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Eagle River, just got a bike

Hey everyone

I moved up here last summer but just got a bike yesterday. My first since the late 90s. I need to take it for tuning before I really hit the trails but I'm curious about where the best places are for someone who hasn't ridden in 15 years or so around here.

Also, I'm planning on taking the bike to Velosport here in ER, anyone have any experiences there to share?

On to the bike, I traded a gun I wasn't using and got a 2008 GF Cobia with about 15-20 miles on it. Rode it around the neighborhood tonight and it was great to ride again.

mtbr member
    Nice. Sounds like you got a good deal. Idk about eagle river mtb trails but 30 min north and you can be at Matanuska Lake riding the MGTS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Congrats on the new bike, looks nice. At Velosport I have mixed feeling. Overall they are nice and helpful, though I went in there last week looking to buy a CX bike and when I asked if I could test ride they got all weird and said they don't normally let people do that, people usually know what they want when they come in. But I wouldn't hesitate to take a bike there for service. The guys at Paramount are great, as well as the Bicycle Shop on Diamond, NOT Northern Lights. I like to make the drive to see either of those shops because of the helpful people and great service. See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good to know, I will probably stay local just for convenience.

mtbr member
    The people at Velodport are nice enough but they don't really cater to Mountain Bikes or Fatbikes. I live out here too and would love to give them the business, but I end up heading to Speedway or the Bike Shop in the end. If you are a road bike rider and ride a high end bike I get the impression they'd be great.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Eagle River area MTB riding can be had at the chugiak HS / Beach lake trail system, first 5 miles on the peters creek trail into Chugach state park, southward along Eagle River greenbelt starting from from the ER loop briggs bridge day use park and/or connecting with the Barbara falls road/trails off Ken Logan circle/waterfall/hiland. I also like exploring into the northern end of JBER, http://forums.mtbr.com/alaska/jber-biking-789375.html , just watch out for the JBER wolves and bears!
    Do support you ER LBS, invaluable not having to drive into the big city every time you need a tube or chain!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah, although I have an 80 dollar credit at REI, so I may just get an initial tune done there since it won't cost me anything out of pocket

Off to read up about biking on base

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently got out and rode the peters creek trail into CSP. Map, description and reviews of this trail at; Peters creek trail Alaska Trail Reviews

I concur that it is not a terribly technical trail but it does at least provide the only bike-legal trail access anywhere around Eagle River for riding into the undeveloped mountainous backcountry of chugach state park. The trail accesses some spectacular backcountry and is certainly entertaining for a couple hours of riding.
    Unsurprisingly for this time of the summer, I saw a lot of fresh signs of bears and I eventually turned back rather than ride further through a section of the trail that was particularly overgrown with cow-parsnip. Leg covering would be a good idea to avoid catching their itchy blisters.