Dying for some dirt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Dying for some dirt

I know i've got months to go but I've had a bike in the stand every night for the last few weeks tinkering and i'm absolutely dying for some dirt. in your experience what's the first dryish trail of the season in south central? gull rock? kepler bradley?

Thanks for humoring the insanity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Get out and ride...

You should be getting out and riding rather than just tinkering on the bike. The trails are great right now. Good for whatever kind of mountain bike you have. Studs, no studs, fat tires, regular tires, whatever you got on there will work.....okay, slicks might cause you some problems, but just about anything else. It's actually easier to ride a lot of the single track trails right now than in the summer since there isn't as many roots or mudholes to deal with. Just fun cruising about anywhere...

As for what trails dry out first.....can't help you there. I usually wait and just start hitting the Hillside around the first of June, give or take depending on weather.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been putting in rides on the weekends with the winter bike - am actually on the verge of wearing out a pair of studs. Just wondering about summer rides.

mtbr member
    RH,

I've only been here for two spring/summers, and in my experience, usually the end of May for Kincaid/Campbell Tract trails. As far as this year having a lot less snow and warmer temps, wouldn't be surprised if we're on them the beginning of May, depending on how quick the current snow goes away. I've been hitting the paved (Coastal/Chester Creek/Campbell Creek) trails around town on weekends with my winter bike all winter and it's been good - will probably start getting a little soft/sloppy here in a week or two.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound197
    i'm absolutely dying for some dirt.
    Anchskier is right, the best time to ride the trails in spring is right now, before they turn to mud. Once that happens, you'll damage the trail surface if you ride before they dry out.

The local trails don't open for mountain bikes until June 1. We might see an earlier opening this year if the weather stays dry and warm over the next few weeks, but we'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I recommend mounting a pair of slicks about mid-April so you can get in plenty of miles on pavement to keep you sane (that's why I finally added a road bike to the mix). Waiting until June to ride dirt is no fun, but it's a small price to pay for living and riding here the rest of the summer.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Bikes are good

Kepler Bradley Lakes

Drive out toward Palmer. Shortly after the exit to Palmer, keep your eyes peeled on the left for a parking area called Kepler/Bradley lakes. I haven't been out there yet this year because the skiing in Turnagain has been epic. If it wasn't, I'd be riding at Kepler Bradley. Check it out. Lots of trails to run around and get lost on. Last I heard, it was frozen mud. Let me know if you found some fun stuff out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0