Dry Rides on the Kenai- Mtbr.com
    Bill M

Dry Rides on the Kenai

Kathi M and I got a call on Thursday afternoon to lead a day hike out of Seward Friday morning and 10:30 pm found us grabbing the last site at Primrose campground. Friday morning we headed into Seward to meet the guests and were pleasantly surprised to find out they had just come in on the Japanese Peace Boat which has been cruising the world promoting of all things "Peace". Since this is an MTB site not a political forum I won't go into details except to say we had a great time with these folks breaking trail in the snow up to the Harding Icefield above Exit Glacier. After conversation about the Alaskan scenery, all the bears we saw and World politics over sandwiches we took them down and back to the Peace Boat where we left them after good bye hugs and promises to meet again.
    Now for the real reason we took the trip : We drove from Seward down the Sterling and managed once again to find the last campsite this time in the Crescent Creek campground. Headed out under threatening skies around 7 PM for a fun and DRY ride up to Crescent Lake and back. Next morning we drove to the trailhead at Lower Russian River and rode to Upper Russian Lake and back. The trail crew has already cleared the trail to mile 8.5 and after that there were a few downed trees to step over and a few very small muddy spots that were easy to push around. The trail is 99.9 % dry! Found lots of bear sign and two half eaten backpacks but we checked all the bear scat and didn't find the remains of the hikers in any of it just bear bells. Drove back Sat. night with almost no traffic. All said it was a great couple of days on the Kenai. Now back to riding our secret dry double tracks around here.
    Bill M

Bill M

Russian Lake Pics

Kathi is back in the cabin so know I can add the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0