To drill or not to drill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

To drill or not to drill

Hey guys,
    I am building up a fat bike for a customer who is a uber weight weenie. (I know, not the ideal bike). Has anyone tried to drill out the 80 or 100 mm rims from speedway? How did they turn out? Is it really worth the effort?

Thanks for your time

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Greg drilled his 80's, and another pair for another customer 2 weeks ago. It's not cheap $200-250/pair due to significant labor involved, but money talks, right? I'm considering the same, will let you now what I find out. Drops ~10oz per set, though some durability concerns over hole seals...
    Last edited by dhart; 02-14-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Greg and I discussed this a couple of weeks ago too. It's a pain, it's a big mess, and he definitely recommended doing it before you lace up the wheels.

It's being done though, so I'd say go for it. Remember you'll be drilling through two walls, which means the exposed wall will need its holes blocked. Greg's set had a nifty layer of clear tape over the holes, with precise smaller holes punched for the spoke nipples. Looked sharp.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    It doesn't sound like a great idea, but if you do it, post pictures. I'd have the guy sign a 'no warranty, voids all warranties, express or implied, experimental, done at customer's instruction, not recommended' agreement. That way if he hits a log, the wheel buckles, and he ends up with a broken collar bone (or worse) and you end up in court he doesn't recall you 'practically insisting' he have it done.
    To the troll mobile, away...

No, that's not phonetic
    Just out of curiosity, what sort of implement do folks use when "drilling" such massive holes? A hole saw? Some special cutting tool on a machining device?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Just out of curiosity, what sort of implement do folks use when "drilling" such massive holes? A hole saw? Some special cutting tool on a machining device?
    .45 ACP or .357 magnum, depending upon how big you want the holes. The extra money is to pay the wrench for the ammunition and ricochet danger. (Sorry, not much sleep last night).
    To the troll mobile, away...

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    A giant laser powered by Pete on a trainer maybe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Did it last week on a pair of XC Large Marges. 4 agressive hours with a hole saw, dremel, mutiple bits, and a lot of thinking before hand. Came out like a beauty and I did'nt really think of it beaing a big deal. $200 to 250 per wheel set, wow! I lost 1.25 lbs the wieght of my Gore Tex suit and them some.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hardware stores have drillbits that graduate up from nothing to as big as you want. One bit and some final sanding will do it all with no hassle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Rotabroach bit

I used a cool little hole saw device called a rotabroach bit (not sure of the spelling) but it was awesome and I drilled a single wall set of remolino rims in about 20 minutes. Just a fancy drill bit like a hole saw but way nicer and it had the advantage of tossing the slug aside when you were done. I borrowed it from a guy at work, but I bet you can find them at all your finer hardware stores like AIH. Not so sure how it would work on a double wall rim?????

al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay P
    Did it last week on a pair of XC Large Marges. 4 agressive hours with a hole saw, dremel, mutiple bits, and a lot of thinking before hand. Came out like a beauty and I did'nt really think of it beaing a big deal. $200 to 250 per wheel set, wow! I lost 1.25 lbs the wieght of my Gore Tex suit and them some.

Most shop labor rates are ~$55 per hour
    Add in clean up, drill bits, and taping the rims and there is your $200 -$250.
    Also, the 80s are a bit more of a hassle to drill compared to the Large Marge.
    I havenít seen weight savings much over 200 grams per rim.

Fatback
    The reason for the high cost of drilling 80's is that there are three verticle ribs joining the inner and outer walls in the way of the best drilling location. The thickest part of the aluminum is in the middle, so that's where I want my holes.The center rib adds several more steps to an already laborious project. Marges are much easier, especially if offset. I drilled a 100mm today and without getting too aggressive saved 210 grams.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0