Downhillers, Freerides speak UP!!- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

Downhillers, Freerides speak UP!!

So in one of my other threads theres a big discussion about having a trail orientated around freeride/downhill. E.g. adding jumps, drops, maybe some northshore, and just looking at what the land has to over us!
    I haven't been here that long, so I'm just simply asking for some feedback from all the downhillers and freeriders in the area!
    Let me know if your intrested, or if you already have a place to ride.
    Just looking to show that theres a decent group of us to, and that we should be pushed of to the side and forgoten!!
    And keep tearin down those trails!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If I was up there I would be all for it but I have a few friends there with some nice Chumba EVO's that would love some more aggressive down hill trails.

is buachail foighneach me
    could it be that the attention span needed to ride up the hills before riding down them is the same attention span needed to actually get something legitimate done?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Please

"could it be that the attention span needed to ride up the hills before riding down them is the same attention span needed to actually get something legitimate done?"

Please dont post your cheap insults here. If you want to post something support your fellow bikers and offer something constructive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt
    "could it be that the attention span needed to ride up the hills before riding down them is the same attention span needed to actually get something legitimate done?"

Please dont post your cheap insults here. If you want to post something support your fellow bikers and offer something constructive.
    Mental note: No sense of humor with this one.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt

so, you're saying that you're willing to put forth the effort then? or do you have even less to offer this thread than i do? you're the gravity rider(bullit), where's your "something constructive?

Jun 2008
    If you're not gone add any thing constructive to this thread then don't bother posting!!
    i'm not here to wast my time on the hatred between XC mtb and downhill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Settle down there buddy. For the most part, everyone here was trying to help you with your idea to create some downhill trails (in your other thread). One person makes a tongue in cheak joke (after you denouce the help as people trying to push you aside and ignore you) and you go off with the "hatred between XC mtb and downhill" crap. To this point, you are the ONLY one who has brought up anything resembling that argument.

Jun 2008
    I did not denounce the help as people trying to push me aside or anything!! all i wanted in this thread is to see who here actually rides downhil freeride or who would be intrest to get an idea if it is really worth going through the hassle to build a good trail!!!!!!
    thats why it just kinda ticked me of that people need to come in here and start making smart ass comments!
    AND this is that last im gone say about this cause i'm not here to discuss this topic!! im here to talk about trails!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks to the ground work that STA has built with the community I believe a downhill specific trail is the next logical step for Anchorage's bike scene. I think a 15-20 minute decent from Glenn Alps to bi-centennial or Hilltop with different obstacles of varrying degrees of difficulty would be a world class attraction. AND may attract more talent from down south to come up and play. Who knows, maybe the boys from the Collective, now Anthill Films, would come up and do a segment.

All that aside, it would be an enormous undertaking and one that we would have to do carefully to accommodate as many different skill levels as possible. I tried to get a friend of mine to do it for his senior project at APU, but he is a mountaineer at heart... I am just not that into dropping myself off boulders or scarring the crap out of myself on 1 foot wide ladder bridges, turning 30 does that I guess...but I would be psyched to see the freeride/downhill scene have something to progress on. I have a group of teenagers I teach that would love to help out with a project of this nature if someone took the lead getting a plan together. Lets keep the dialog going here and maybe out at National trail day, where I will hopefully see many of you!!!

Jun 2008
    Whens national trail day??

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Honestly from what I have seen, and what is gonna evolve. The group if it ever came to be would be better going off the beaten path away from the hillside in Anchortown, and building something in its own element which was designed, implemented by FR's and DH'rs themselves.

The hillside is very nice, the only place I can get the speed I like is outa the parking lot at flatop and on gasline after stuckagain heights before getting back off into the trees...., otherwise, its pretty slow pace IMOP, although very techinal in the trees and higher brush.

Not knocking anywork that was done, I commend STA and will continue to, I know the are bound by a set of rules, and design parameters. Anything is better than nothing. Hopefully MTB'n as a whole will continue to evolve in ALL aspects. Which I believe it will....regardless.

To the original OP....a voice is needed. I agree.
    Last edited by nojoke; 06-01-2009 at 04:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would be certainly be interested in FR/DH terrain and several of my lazy ass friends from the lower 48 might actually come up here to ride as well.

Caveman
    It boils down to this - Lots and lots of hard work. Janice - who has basically made the new STA trails come to be has spent an enormous amount of time (years) and hard work to make it happen.
    Like what no Joke hinted at - If you really want a trail like this to happen you guys need to pick a time , come together and have a meeting to see what your options are. Start making the contacts and doing your homework and research for yourselves. Endless forum talking is just that.

I'd love to see it happen, done the right way. Terrain like that is super fun, its just not the lifeblood of most people on this forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Monday Night Shuttles

For all those interested I'm going to be doing monday night shuttle runs for anyone who wants to come. meet at the outer hilltop parking lot at 7:30pm on monday nights i will have my truck and hopefully a trailer to haul bikes. You dont need to be a great downhiller to come or even have a real downhill bike. Im just doing this for fun and to hopefully get the downhill community up here together.

Jul 2008

Chairlifts too

I have been getting emails and talking to people this summer, and the constant question is "When are chairlifts going to open at Alyeska?" For the most part I have said "Not this summer."

Well, due to the high demand, I have pushed hard and developed resources to open a chairlift this summer. It is a one day thing and for a race only. This is where it is important that everybody put their money where there mouth is.

If the downhill community shows up in strength, and the turnout number is high, then we can have a valid case to push for chairlifts. So, here is the chance for everybody to step up, and all you have to do.....is race! What could be easier than that?

JDH
    mtbr member
    I was up at Arctic Valley this past winter thinking... "Damn this place would be a great place to set up a down hill run or 5." If you're really wanting to set something up you need to organize and maybe find a sponsor or 2 to help supply the needed wood and stuff. I have been hearing rumors about a DH trail over by Eagle River someplace, (no idea where it is yet). But here is the only thing I can find on the web about it... http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trai...20Bike%20Trail. There is also a place a lot of ATV riders hang out at, it is all the way out in Sutton. It's off of Johnsonville Rd, it's an old strip coal mine with lots of steep hills and easily moved loose dirt to build ramps out of.
    Last edited by JDH; 07-09-2009 at 12:05 AM.

May 2009
    FYI, the stuff out in Jonesville is definitely illegal trespassing. The mine is privately owned and there are plans in place to reopen it.

JDH
    mtbr member
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I took my youngest son out there fossil hunting a couple weeks ago and there were at least 40 ATV/dirt bike riders and a few mountain bikers out there.

Jun 2008
    Whens the Race at aly gone be?!? And how much will it cost to participate?

Jul 2008

Cancled

Im sad to say that we had to pull the plug on the race. There were prior events planed on the mountain that day for the Blueberry Festival, the time alloted for a bike race was too small for my liking, so I scratched it. If we are going to do a race, I want it done right, and this was not going to be the case.

We do have new features under construction right now. One is complete (wall ride) and the second is being worked on. The two features will link up when completed.

Aug 2009
    Yes I am very intrested, havent riding that long, just got a DH bike this year but would love to get out on some real downhill trails

Members who have read this thread: 0