Don't be a...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Don't be a...

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Don't be a...

Sucker and pay full retail when there's websites like this willing to hook you up.
    One deal at a time, when the item sells they put up something else.
    I'm not part of this organization (Backcountry.com) but I remember the super high prices at some of the Anch, shops.

http://www.chainlove.com/
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Nice! Just like SC.

Feb 2006
    Yeah...don't be a fool and pay retail for bike stuff. After all, all that those damn shop employees are trying to do is make a somewhat decent wage, pay the rent, gas up the car (on occasion), and afford their biking habit, too. And it gets damn difficult to do that if a shop can't sell things at a reasonable markup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost
    Yeah...don't be a fool and pay retail for bike stuff. After all, all that those damn shop employees are trying to do is make a somewhat decent wage, pay the rent, gas up the car (on occasion), and afford their biking habit, too. And it gets damn difficult to do that if a shop can't sell things at a reasonable markup.
    Shoot, I was just about to buy one of them sultry summer womens tank tops too.

If it wasn't for Speedway actually having a BB for my pug and letting me in at 8 PM the night before Ultrasport I would have been a Colorado tourist hanging out in Anchorage for 7 days. You are going to need a real live bike shop at some point.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    That web site isn't for guys looking for bike parts it's for folks who aren't fond of paying 90 bucks for a biking shirt or a set of shorts.

and for the record I exhaust all local options (even the shops that I don't care for) before buying components online.

Hey, while were on the subject, I'm looking for a Shimano Octalink splined 68mm(shell) x 121mm(spindle) bottom bracket for my kids Specialized Epic. I've been to every shop in Durango and Farmington with no luck.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grey ghost

Shouldn't your name be gray bush or bald ghost or something.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    That web site isn't for guys looking for bike parts it's for folks who aren't fond of paying 90 bucks for a biking shirt or a set of shorts.

and for the record I exhaust all local options (even the shops that I don't care for) before buying components online.

Hey, while were on the subject, I'm looking for a Shimano Octalink splined 68mm(shell) x 121mm(spindle) bottom bracket for my kids Specialized Epic. I've been to every shop in Durango and Farmington with no luck.

i could be wrong here, but i *think you can take a 72 x 121 bb and put the left side cup from a 68 on it and it'll work. some shops would be willing to do this. especially if you do most of your shopping there.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    i could be wrong here, but i *think you can take a 72 x 121 bb and put the left side cup from a 68 on it and it'll work. some shops would be willing to do this. especially if you do most of your shopping there.
    I can't find any Octacrap Bottom bracket 68mm or 73mm with a spindle length over 118mm. Just about everyone around here has gone external bearing so the shops have all followed suit.

Looks like it'll be Jensen and next day air for me.
    -Sage Francis

We want... a shrubbery!
    Not really sure why you feel the need to post against the shops in Alaska being that you're not even here. By far, some of the best shops I've ever seen in one area.

Also, I haven't logged onto that site, but I'm interested in seeing just how 'economical' the shipping would be up to here; you money you save on components in most cases is used to ship the items up here...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    Not really sure why you feel the need to post against the shops in Alaska being that you're not even here. By far, some of the best shops I've ever seen in one area.

Also, I haven't logged onto that site, but I'm interested in seeing just how 'economical' the shipping would be up to here; you money you save on components in most cases is used to ship the items up here...
    I'm sorry that some of you have misinterpereted my original post. I'm also sorry that some of you have replied to something that you haven't even checked out. That link will take you to a site that sells one thing at a time (usually not bike components). Most of the stuff is last years gear, shirts, shorts, socks, etc.. marked down drasticly. I'm not trying to take buisness away from the local shops, I am merely giving you guys a heads up because I remember what it's like to not have a wide selection of gear that spanned more than one price point. Also I think it's crazy that things like bike shorts and shirts cost so damn much. You can't convince me that the chinese kid that makes all of those brightly colored shirts gets more than a couple of cents a shirt and shops regularly charge 50-90$ for the freaking things.
    -Sage Francis

Members who have read this thread: 0