Dome trail dreamin...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Dome trail dreamin...

My wife and I rode the 16-mile run near Hatcher Pass for the first time ever last weekend and thought it was a hoot. Today we hiked up the Dome trail for some berry pickin' and along the way I was dreaming about a bike-specific downhill run (like the 16-mile run) from the tippy top of the Dome to the tank trail. And a gentler up-track for actually riding (not pushing) to the top would be sweet, too.

The hard part would be getting JBER to allow it.

The other hard part would be getting the Stuckagain Heights Community Council to endorse it (or at least not $hit-can it).

And the other hard part...money...

Ok, like I said, I was dreaming.

mtbr member
    Hey I've been dreaming too, but not in a "no way in hell in the next thousand years place". A little easier, anyway. Iíve been thinking Powerline between Glenn Alps and Prospect that could tie into the STA trails. Powerline is already a popular shuttle run and the existing trail has been trashed to death because of erosion. Its in the park, but the trail could be built along the cleared easement with little interference of maintenance access. It would take some negotiation with the parkÖIím not sure what exact buttons would need to be pushed, but I have some ideas. As far as the trail, two directional trails like you imagined. I rode the 16 mile trail the other day, too. Super fun, but too far from Anchorage for anything but a once in a while ride. I want something like that in town! Iím willing to work on a proposal, create a draft trail alignment and plan. Would be well worth the try if nothing else.

Bikes are good
    I think out of the two, JBER would have less red tape and be more willing to work with a trail crew than the state park. My dream would be the up track gopher talks about on the dome and another separate downhill section that goes down the next drainage to the north. I've also thought about a trail that would go up north fork valley to long lake and to the pass back there, traverse to the pass above williwaw lakes and connect it with middle fork.

Just yesterday a new dream. I was at the top of the dome with a friend who i'd been riding up there with for over 10 years now. We carry bikes up to Knoya and are planning a carry and ride back to Tikishla pass, but what if there was a rideable trail that went all the way back there, and even came down toward snow hawk peak (rounded guy to the north of the dome.) A massive alpine ride. Trailwork would be much easier up on that stuff, and could be done with some volunteers and the go ahead from JBER.

I whacked and slashed overgrowth on the lower 1/2 of the dome. When it stops being so hot, a few of us are going to finish the top 1/2. Despite bikers being the sole maintenance crew on that trail, the hikers sure still hate our guts. So much hate.Don't get it.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Yeah, another trail besides the hiker shared trail would be good there. Hiking and rowdy biking do not seem to play well together. I know a trail in the park would be a harder nut to crack, but one I feel would be used more and perhaps more widely supported and more frequently used. Fitting a trail into the existing cleared easement would give line-of-site advantages that could minimize wildlife conflicts as well. I am fully for alpine single track, though. The Hatcher Pass downhill is proof you can build sustainable trails above treeline in Alaska. Getting the park on board with the vision is the way, I think.

Bikes are good
    The hatcher pass (16 mile trail?) is it 16 miles? The shuttle ride? Is that the same thing? Is there something higher I don't know of?

mtbr member
    Doh..Mile 16 downhill. Just past Archangel Road on the left side of the Hatch Pass road. Big pullout on the left and the trail is located on the downhill end of the pullout. Its a must do. You could also park at the Gold Mint lot, ride up, ride Archangel Road, then ride the downhill to make a epic ride of it. The end of the downhill trail is about a mile down the road from the Gold Mint lot.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    The hatcher pass (16 mile trail?) is it 16 miles? The shuttle ride? Is that the same thing? Is there something higher I don't know of?
    I remember when I thought that too
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It would be easier to just start building it, start from the middle to the bottom then do the top so by the time anybody notices it it's done.

Bikes are good
    Word

mtbr member
    May 2010

Dome trail dreamin...

Look at Tiger mountain in WA there is a 4 mile road to the top and about 2K elevation gained but there are over 15 miles of single track on it. It takes longer to get down hauling ass than to get to the top. The dome could be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk