Dome Race.!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dome Race.!!!

Bikes are good

Dome Race.!!!

Thanks for heading this up D-Mat. Nice job, it was fun. What's the next downhill race?

Fatback
    We might end up doing the Dome again. All the other options run through Chugach State Park land and require additional permits that are hard to get. Prospect/Gasline/Llama is all on Muni land, but foot traffic is higher. By the way, Mark E won in 8:53, dmat second at 9:05, and Miguel third at 9:11. AKgravity- you were 16th at 11:11.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

No good I had to *^%$in' work late Friday... Go figure...

Does anyone have any pictures? I had to *^%$in' work late Friday...
    I was goin' just to watch, but that didn't happen either.
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are all the results: http://speedwaycyclesak.com/pages/re...1_results.html

Great run elfbkr and thanks for all the clearing work, trail was in great shape.

Thanks to Rio, Dmat, and Thirsty for organizing. Wish I could have enjoyed my run a bit more (28 minutes!! Really??) but ripping my front tire off of the rim not once, but twice, I spent a good chunk of time extracting turf from my helmet and in hasty repair mode. Just means I'll be back for another shot at it next week.

Bikes are good

Burntski...You out there?

He had a camera, and took lots of pics. Can you post those bro?

Will the Alyeska park have races you think? I'm looking for reasons to buy a downhill bike. I thought the race would convince me I needed one. It didn't.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I thought the race would convince me I needed one. It didn't.
    Hah! Is that at all related to your placement in the standings?

Bikes are good

Yep dude...

A downhill bike belongs in a park. A long travel xcountry bike is all you need for anything else up here, so far. I didn't think a xcountry bike stood a chance against one of those big bikes. Maybe on a different course. I don't know. I know I want one, don't get me wrong. I think it would sit in my shed at the moment though. The dudes in Girdwood are making it happen. When that park opens, it'll be so, so nice on a big bike.

Fatback
    How bout Cynthia Cacy doing a 12:11? She beat alot of the dudes on bighit bikes. Right on. I got an email from somebody who was taking pics on the trail. We'll be trying to get those posted.

Bikes are good

Right on..

Yeah, I don't think the big hits are that big of a hit, or necessary for anything but real big jumps, drops, and EXTREMELY steep technical stuff. None of the "legal" trails require a big bike. Those guys might get on here and try to run me over with their bikes for saying that, but it's true.

May 2008

great fun

I ust wish i would have been able to make it all of the way to the top before you guys took off. I ended up rushing home to pick up my helmet, that i left sitting next to the car i since i was so exicted to ride duhhhh. But the trail was awesome i put a make shift chain guide on since i kept throwing the chain like crazy.I rode a hardtail dj and had a blast, think i could have done pretty well execpt i almost got shaken to death for having the front fork way to stiff

Aug 2007

Thanks guys.

There were no big drops or anything crazy as far as I could tell. 4 inches of travel was enough for some chick to make it down with a fast time and no problems . Thanks to all who organized, marked trails, and gave good beta! Fun race, I'd love to see some more!

The king is on fire
    I think I would have rocked it if I hadn't of aggravated a current ankle/foot injury, it was a fast course a good bit longer than our east coast races but much more mellow.
    Have fun.

Jul 2008

The "big bike" conundrum

I whole heartedly agree with the observations that a DH bike was unnecessary (and for the most part, detrimental) for the Dome race. But I can't help but sense a little condescension in the comments. Allow me to shed some light...

Please understand that I (and a couple of my friends) have lived out of state for the last several (10) years and have been racing downhill at the national level. Consequently, most of us can only afford to own one bike. Due to the demands of our competitions, that bike just so happens to have goo gobs of travel and weigh a svelt 40+ pounds.....totally not the right tool for the Dome.

I find it odd that there would be a "downhill" bike race held, then when people outside of a given circle show up to that race, they are mocked for their choice in bike. People should be happy that cyclists are showing up to the races and putting money into ABC, regardless of their two-wheeled preference. We were there to show support for bicycle (downhill) racing in the community. Recognize that.

Bikes are good

Apology then..

I wasn't trying to be condescending, sorry if you perceived it that way. I think those bikes are great, I'd love to own one. As is, I can only afford a bike I can do a little of everything on. Honestly, wasn't trying to be a dic^.

Jul 2008
    Oh, totally man. I did not mean any of that to be directed towards you, I heard what you were saying and am on the same page with you. Like you said, waiting for Alyeska......

Fatback

downhill on 25th

The race tomorrow will start at Prospect Hts. and head down the Gasline to Lower Llama, then Spencer. We tried to get the Dome again, but the Military said due to bears on the trail, they wouldn't issue the permit. We will do two runs and combine the times. Hope to see you all there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thirstyman: Time/details for the unitiated? Any shuttle, or just meet at Hilltop Chalet? Thx!

Bikes are good

Downhill Race Tonight

Meet at the bottom of Hilltop ski area to register (15 bucks). 6pm tonight. 7-25

Members who have read this thread: 0