Dome- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dome

Bikes are good

Dome

So, the last few winters we've been able to ride the Dome trail. Usually, the lower 1/2 isn't rideable. Last year, we rode up the military fence line to Basher and from the 1/2 way point up it was rideable (except for the steep stuff to the top.) We've made 3 trips up this last week from the bottom, and it is riding really nice. Hills you can clear in the summer, you can clear now with a few exceptions. The more fat tires we keep on it, the better chance it actually stays rideable this winter. It is a really cool winter ride, go give it a shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dome-img_0626.jpg  

Dome-img_0627.jpg  

Dome-img_0628.jpg  

"Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Good job! That is a great ride. Keep the tread alive....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    So, the last few winters we've been able to ride the Dome trail. Usually, the lower 1/2 isn't rideable. Last year, we rode up the military fence line to Basher and from the 1/2 way point up it was rideable (except for the steep stuff to the top.) We've made 3 trips up this last week from the bottom, and it is riding really nice. Hills you can clear in the summer, you can clear now with a few exceptions. The more fat tires we keep on it, the better chance it actually stays rideable this winter. It is a really cool winter ride, go give it a shot.
    Looks like fun. New to the area, can you give directions or is it on TrailMapper?

Thanks

*EDIT* Is that the Chena Dome Trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Do you have to get a permit for that area? I have never been up there. Not sure where to get the permit either.

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurney View Post
    Looks like fun. New to the area, can you give directions or is it on TrailMapper?

Thanks

*EDIT* Is that the Chena Dome Trail?
    This is the Dome Trail in Anchorage. There are a couple of ways to get there, but the best way is to head up Campbell Airstrip Rd about three miles. There will be a parking lot on both the left and right side of the road. These are called the Bivouac Trailheads. Go to the left and stay on the main trail until you cross the bridge over Campbell Creek and onto the dirt road. The trail is about 3/4 of a mile further on your right. There's not much much for signage, you just have to look for it.
    A military rec pass is required to use this area. If you go to the Ft. Rich gate, they will issue you one and give all the details about land access. It's a really cool trail and worth the effort.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Bikes are good

Dome Access

Easiest directions are what Thirstywork laid out there. From the North Bivouac trailhead on Campbell Airstrip, head east and go through a large clearing/powerline, continue and the trail turns north. You'll go down a hill and cross a skinny bridge. the trailhead is the first significant opening on the right. There are currently fat tracks coming out of it (just came down). Head up that way until you aren't in trees anymore. Keep left at the only intersection.

Military pass at Ft. Rich gate. Take your id, call in before you go, carry your pass with you. I've had mine on me for years, and haven't seen an MP back there. I'm back there nearly every day. There are tire tracks on the tank trail/road that are new, often. So, they do drive around back there. 4 years ago two hobbling old dudes were walking down the dome trail in mp outfits. They were actually ticketing people on the trail that didn't have passes. So, get one, call to make sure they aren't using that area to train in (seldom are) and help pack that puppy down.

Bikes are good
    A few of us are going to skin up the dome this week. I'll keep you posted, but it would be good to get tires on it a day or so after. Should work. Actually, is there a debate open about what packs the trails better for riding (skis, snowshoes). Ideally it's fat tires right after it snows, and a lot of them. Pushing up the dome with a bike isn't fun though.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    A few of us are going to skin up the dome this week. I'll keep you posted, but it would be good to get tires on it a day or so after. Should work. Actually, is there a debate open about what packs the trails better for riding (skis, snowshoes). Ideally it's fat tires right after it snows, and a lot of them. Pushing up the dome with a bike isn't fun though.
    Great Idea! Elfman...... I bailed on Anch yest for Turnagin. Best 1st day conditions in along time. I think I'll throw my skins on tonight for the woods. Endo was talking about buying some snow shoes. Pulling a sled. We need some light weight rider with hundreds on BFL's.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Turnagain has been good for about a month now...hope it continues.

Skinning up, snowplowing down, just ski it down assuming the pow will slow you down, Or heading off trail on the way down?

Bikes are good

Turnagain

Fer Sure. It has been good down there. We spent Saturday and Sunday down there. Legs are not ready for back to back days as it turns out. I'll take the skins off for the ride down, concentrating on plowing some snow around. Definitely more fun to ride that trail though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys I'm new to winter biking in Alaska, but this looks like a pretty sweet trail. Any other recommendations? I'm kinda learning as I go but so far it seems like the studded tires i just bought for my mountainbike are only good for riding on plowed roads. Guess I'd need a fatbike for this kind of riding?

Bikes are good

Fatbike=Yes

I rode for years without one, and made fun of the people (quietly) that had them. Then, I tried one, and it is just plain crazy to ride a 40psi tire on snow. I had a friend ride the dome trail a few years ago on a hard tail 40 psi bike, but he's a beast, and he took some diggers on the way down. We skinned up tonight just past the 1/2 way point. I have open blisters from skiing this weekend, and didn't feel like going anymore. Somebody, please, try and ride the lower 1/2 soon. I'm heading out tomorrow, but it will need bodies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the tip! Kinda lame that I can't start new topics or respond to PMs until I spam a little more but I'll hit some of the local bike stores and hopefully get some good advice there.

Bikes are good

Shops for Fatness

Speedway on Spenard.

Fatback | Fatback Blog

My humble opinion

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Dumb Argentinian and I were 'grooming' blue dot last night. Just one other person had been on that trail, and only a small portion of it. I didn't see many fat tire tracks on other trails either. Where is everyone riding?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    MikeC_AK,

I was wondering the same thing last night, seems everyone is still in that funk they get in between summer and winter. A small group of use laid fresh tracks down Speedway last night, and most of the other trails were super soft and chunky from all the ped use. We didn't make to bluedot. )O:

May 2009
    Sorry man, wife is out of town. So saddled with kids, can't get out this week. EndoRando should be gettin out there. Couple of other frequent riders have moved, so a usual group is smaller now. I know Elfbk gettin some. He's focus on the Dome though. I'll try to get a sitter and get out before the weekend. I'll rattle Endo to get him going to. Keep up the good work. I need Blue dot for my commute...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Jordy that's awesome, is speedway rideable? Blue dot is close, we had to do a lot of pushing...

I see a lot of people with shiny new bikes coming out of Chain Reaction....

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Speedway should be rideable tonight! We had to push a bit too. I know it got more action from others that were right behind us. I also see a lot of bikes leaving Speedway!

Bikes are good

Making like a baby...

and heading out now. Going to check how the skin track up the dome did as far as making it rideable. Wishful thinking has me pointed up hillside to wolverine bowl trail and back down the powerline. A nice chilly start to riding this year. Sounds like there is a potential new group to form here.

Bikes are good

Whoa

Not even close. Very soft trails. Even the track from my house up the dome after skiing wasn't great. Dome trail needs 10 more skiers. Getting to Hilltop from here would have been a tough one.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    And just think, you'll get 8 more inches of snow if the weather prediction is right! :-D

Bikes are good

Yesss

I hope so.

May 2009
    Dumping!.. Leavin wrk early, going skiing. Does anyone know if the Chugach park is going to issue permits this year for winter riding?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I'm with Blinky, when can I pickup a CSP snowbike permit!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    According to a phone conversation with CSP today...

There should be a mass email coming this afternoon with info about winter special use permits. I was told on the phone that Middle Fork Loop would be off limits this year. They will be issuing a permit, but it will be for Lost Cabin Valley and some sort of Wolverine bowl/FNBP connector.

He said the trail mgt. regulations need to change before bikes are allowed on Middle Fork Loop again.

The new trail plan does have a number of trails changing from 'no biking' to 'biking allowed', including Middle Fork Loop. Saw this on the trail recommendations document.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/plans/ch...4_complete.pdf
    Hope I'm reading it right....

May 2009
    Got the Email too! gettin one today. Skipped out on work yest afternoon. Grabbed Lefty. He's an old crusty, who injured his thumb trail riding in Utah last month. He was down in the dumps. So I made him put on some snow shoes. I grabbed my skins. We went touring out in Mirkwood (FNBC). Spent 2 hrs out there skiing/shoeing to ride. Which is just weird. I want to roll though. So if you have time go look around Moose Ridge. Just North of the upper lake on both sides of the trail. Lollypop loop. Glad you guys are getting speedway and bluedot, probably the baseball boggy as well. I tried to rally Endo. I think he on the slope this week.