Dome- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dome

Bikes are good

Dome

Go ride it. Head up the military fence trail which is rideable, slide down to the creek and head up that way. Go all the way down to the tank trail though. 1 or two more trips down that and it will be screamin fast. Upper 1/2 was a lot of fun.

Middle Fork was great today too. You guys ever see the grumpy old lady with the 7 mean dogs? She's always skiing. She yelled at us even after we showed our passes. Her dog even tried to bite me and my dog. What a jerk face.

Not that we rode down to ship creek today from arctic valley in hopes of riding to Indian, but it needs more traffic before bikes can go, I'm guessing, from how the sun was reflecting off the peaks, or something.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the trail update.

Took a spill on the "slide" down to the creek, wrecked my derailleur, small chainring, two large cogs, and chain in the alders, and had to mash up the hill in a higher gear SS where I could. It was worth it though. The higher stuff was great, and the lower section challenging.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bikes are good

Sweet

I just came home from another trip up there. The lower part is getting better. Ate it twice and no walking sections. A few more trips and that lower part might be a way up. That steep off camber stuff from Stuckagain is sketch. More rideable now though than in the summer. I don't have my camera card reader thing here, otherwise there are some cool shots from the top. Heading up tomorrow around 4:45 if anyone is wanting to check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Are you riding the dome on fat bikes? What about the lower section that hooks up with the tank road seems like that would beat trying to ride down the canyon from basher.

Bikes are good

Fatbikes

Not necessary from Basher to the top though. You'd be fine on your summer bike. Trail is super hard pack snow, not ice. Studs not even necessary. . From the turn off down is tough going on a fatbike, but totally rideable the other night. Probably even more so now.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good to know, after Rick gets my hub in and my wheels built I'll go ride. BTW anyone want to dig on the dome this spring/summer? I've got a project in mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed
    Good to know, after Rick gets my hub in and my wheels built I'll go ride. BTW anyone want to dig on the dome this spring/summer? I've got a project in mind.

shovel in hand, show me where

Bikes are good

Hold on that

The Dome is a pretty great ride, and real cool area. Other places that have been dug up by dudes with shovels yield crap riding. Before anyone does that, let's find the right way to do it, plan it with drainage and terrain management in mind so that it lasts, and nobody gets in trouble for digging in Chugach State Park/ Ft. RIchardson land. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for trail development, but it isn't easy, and it shouldn't be done by a few dudes with a shovel and lumber. That just jacks the area up. Take the Alyeska trails as an example. The blueberry pancake trail took an entire summer with a significant crew of people and equipment and hours upon hours of planning.

Still riding great up there right now. So nice. Rideable up from the tank trail if you have good balance. Fun ride all the way down if you go up from Stuckagain/Basher.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A little bird told me that Alyeska will be open for bikes 3 days a week off chair 4 and 6. And that there will be many new trails before the season is done, 20+ trail combinations, sounds very positive.

Members who have read this thread: 0