disc brake choices- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

New question here. disc brake choices

What do you like for disc brakes? I need to buy some to go with a new frame.

Aug 2004
    Hayes 9 hydraulics have tons of power but I have to mess with them ALL THE TIME. That gets old in a hurry. Lots of folks like Shimano XTs. Hope Mono M4s are the coolest *looking* 4-pot brakes. Formula makes great stuff... "set it and forget it". Speedway has examples to show you. I've got mechanical Avid BB7s on my Pugsley and they're foolproof, strong and I never even think about them. But the "coolness" factor is nearly zero.

How high tech do you want to go, or do you just want "solid and dependable"?

My next brakes will be Formula.

We want... a shrubbery!
    And what are you looking for specifically? What type of riding to you expect to do with this bike?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Bikes are good

Avid BB7

Hydraulics have a bit more power, but if you maintain your mechanicals, keep your cables tight, adjust the pads (super easy) then these breaks are very solid. I use them on steep downhill hike-a-bike type hills and I ride aggressively. I've thought of going hydraulics, but just because they look cooler. I can't afford to look cool.

Ologist
    I have had a lot of maintenance probs with Hayes although I hear that the Codes and their newer lines are better ( the first few generations were not sealed sop they needed to be bled a lot).

My Avid juicy sevens have been the best I have used to date. The Mechanical BB7 would be tops if you didn't want to deal with hydraulics.

Aug 2004
    And hydraulic brakes get frost/ice in the calipers in the winter, then it melts and leaves a grit residue behind and the pistons start to stick.

With mechanical BB7s you're not going to fail the brakes by pulling the lever too hard. I doubt anyone could pull the end off a well maintained cable.

With my hydraulic Hayes I squeezed hard coming down Black Bear westbound and the hose blew out of the lever housing just at the gnarliest (worst) spot. That's a sick feeling in your stomache right there.

Jul 2008
    OK, so I'm going with BB7s.

I'm a recreational, non-racer who likes to put on 40ish miles when I ride (especially if I'm going to drive down to the Kenai Penninsula). But most of my background is riding in the midwest.

Oh yeah: don't care about cool or looks (I think my new frame is going to be orange...I was not amused).

Any thoughts on what kind of wheels to get? LBS seems to have $80-125 per rim. Not sure I need anything fancy, but I don't have a lot of mountain riding experience either.

Aug 2004
    The local folks can set you up with some good strong rims. Ask around, they know what works for our conditions, and what will also accept winter width tires in case you decide to icebike this winter.

Think also about your forks... recent discussions here focused on front wheel misalignments. I use quick-release forks and I'm always messing with the alignment when the disc brakes tweak the axle in the fork dropouts. Think about a through-axle front hub and fork and you can avoid some of that too. Read up on it, because sometimes that means you need tools to get your wheel off, then you can't easily get the bike inside your car, etc. etc. etc.

mtbr member
    I have had some Hayes So1e's before, didnt like them, not enough stoppin power IMOP. Upgraded to some 08 ' Avid Juicy 7's, running a 7" Rotor in the front and 6" out back. I do alot of fast singletrack DH style riding and they havent let me down yet, no brake fade.

You can find them for 260/set of Ebay if you do some looking. Very nice brake for the money.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke
    I have had some Hayes So1e's before, didnt like them, not enough stoppin power IMOP. Upgraded to some 08 ' Avid Juicy 7's, running a 7" Rotor in the front and 6" out back. I do alot of fast singletrack DH style riding and they havent let me down yet, no brake fade.

You can find them for 260/set of Ebay if you do some looking. Very nice brake for the money.
    That is the same set up I have for my trailbike. Love having the 7" up front. I think I paid about 200 on ebay for a new set.

Aug 2004
    It looks like the Juicy Ultimate lets you adjust your pad clearance individually, like the mechanical BB7s. Is there another (cheaper) hydraulic setup where you can adjust the pads like this?

http://www.masherz.com/products/avid/juicyultimate.htm

Ologist
    I can adjust my 2007 juicy 7's pads from the bars

Members who have read this thread: 0