Dirty Pictures- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dirty Pictures

Beware of Doggerel

Dirty Pictures

So after a good road ride Saturday I set out in search of some dirt. I found a trail, a spot that I have never ridden but always wanted to ride. Not a secret spot or anything, so Iím sure a few folks on this board have ridden there. Anyway its an ATV/4x4 trail so I figured I couldnít do much damage if it was wet, and given the location I thought it might be reasonably dry.
    Well, it was a mixed bag. Sections were bone dry and others were ankle deep mud the consistency of pudding. The views were nice and there was almost no one else out there. There were several vehicles in the parking area but I only saw 4 ATVs the whole time I was out. Nice.
    I have no idea how far I went. I didnít bring any measuring devices, my road bike is full of all manner of electronic implements, which are fun and distracting, so this ride was a break from all that. I didnít even bring a watch. I lost track of time and I ended up being out there for a slightly ridiculous 6.5 hours. I got back to the car thinking I had been out for 3 maybe 4 hours, then I looked around the lot and noticed that I was the only car left, then I looked at the clock on the car and thought... oh crap Iím late for dinner. I took a bunch of pictures and slogged through a bunch of mud so I suspect it was very low milage day for the amount of time.
    If you can figure out where I was I wouldnít recommend it just yet. (hereís a hint its not Kings River). The only really bad mud was on the first downhill (coming in), which turned into a hike a bike on the way back. Everything else was ridable.... muddy and slow but ridable. But coming out the last hill was difficult to even walk up let alone walk while pushing/carrying a bike. Oh, and that picture that looks like a narrow river is actually the trail at the bottom of the first big downhill.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Mr.Secret
    I'm impressed because after the initial climb, that first bench is a quagmire this time of year, but as you found out once you descend into the next drainage it starts to get much rockier / dryer. Did you go all the way to King River ?...........Guess I should've read all of your post first, if the first and last pic were as far as you went, you were roughly halfway to King River.....
    Last edited by R.T.R.; 05-09-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    I'm impressed because after the initial climb, that first bench is a quagmire this time of year, but as you found out once you descend into the next drainage it starts to get much rockier / dryer. Did you go all the way to King River ?...........Guess I should've read all of your post first, if the first and last pic were as far as you went, you were roughly halfway to King River.....
    I went a bit past the first and last shots. The first was taken on the ride in and the last on the ride out. I stopped for lunch above the large boulder field pictured below. The second shot is just a trail shot from further in that I liked, not sure exactly where. I went a little past this boulder field, but the trail started to head down hill and I had enough muddy climbing for the day so I turned around. I was also running out of food becasue I didn't expect to be out all day, so I turned around when I got down to my last 300 calories. My guess, from looking at a map when I got back, is that I was getting close to the river. The the river cuts off to the right as you look north correct? There was a large valley running to the right ahead of where I turned around. From the first and last pictures in the first post to the boulder field lunch spot was slow going on the way in, but fast coming out, or at least that was my impression. So I'm not sure how far it was. The trail was more or less solid but when it was soft the climbs were at or below walking pace. Still everything was ridable, I was surprised at how ridable it was... The only part I couldn't ride was that climb coming out, but considering that I had to get into my lowest gear and pedal for all I was worth just to get DOWN that first section, I knew it would be bad on the way back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Members who have read this thread: 0