DH Race in anchorage 6-13-08?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2008

DH Race in anchorage 6-13-08?

Any info on the dh race on friday the 13th ? what is the course like? Is it a real dh or is it a step above a super d race? How long is the course? is it steep? any real tech spots or big booters? Just wondering which bike to bring dh rig, all mtn,or trail bike? i live in soldonta and have alot of interested people but we are all wondering which setup to bring. Thank You for any info you can give

Bikes are good

Ride of choice

I don't think a downhill bike would be necessary here. I ride the trail aggressively with a xc bike. However, a dh bike might be worth a push to the top if you are here for more than just the race. I haven't ridden a downhill bike on anything in Anchorage as I don't think it's necessary.

is pimpin the system
    Jun 2008

Dome Trail

I rode the Dome yesterday on my XC, and was really fast. There is one small uphill on the trail that I had to run up on the way down. I'm going to leave the DH bike at home and take my Towny bike with Holy Rollers. There are a few spots the DH would have an advantage of plowing through the roots and over a small wooden ramp built over a log, but for the most part the ride is pretty smooth. It was a awesome ride and I hope it stays dry. You'll see me there on my Towny! Does anyone know if there is going to be more than one run on Friday?

The king is on fire
    Can anyone tell me where this is or can loan me a bike? I'll be visiting and would love to race while im up but Im only bringing my hardtail street bike. I'm a medium and race expert 19-29 here in the lower 48 so im not slouch... If not, I'd still like to tag along and shoot.
    Last edited by NotQuiteJdm; 06-09-2008 at 01:44 PM.
    Have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Directions

Don't have a bike rto loan, but here are directions at least to get there.

Take Tudor Road east from the Seward Highway. Head south (right) on Campbell Airstrip Road. Go about 2-3 miles up and you will see dirt parking lots on both sides. The North Bivouac parking lot is the one on the north side (left).

The king is on fire
    anyone willing to give me a ride up?
    Have fun.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I might have a bike (04 Spesh Stumpjumper Dual Squish--not the grand poobah, but should do) you can use (and a ride) if I do this event -- I just need to clear what I'm doing this weekend (may be out camping) with the misses... I should know by tomorrow what's going on -- I'll post on here and send you a PM.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Fatback
    There will be one run timed. Feel free to do as many as you like. Logistically, the race is tough to put on. You have to ride or push to the start and finish. Show up as early as possible-it will take a good hour or more to ride/push to the top depending on your mount. Once we set up the start order, thats it because we will start the race by cell phone. Hope to see all of you there. It's probably the best run we have.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Bikes are good

Good fun...

So once you bomb down the trail, your time is still running until you get to the north bivouac?

The ramp/jump is definitely hittable on a xc bike. It's built of strong solid pine, on a very old dead tree, with a very old dead tree stump to support underneath. No worries. Just don't miss.

We're riding/hiking Knoya/Tikishla peak tomorrow if there are any takers. HIking Tikishla, biking the rest. We made the push to Knoya last week and thought a hike of Tikishla should be done as well.

Aug 2007
    Hi, come on out and scare the **** out of yourself on friday the 13th!!! The trail is so much fun on any type of mtnbike. We will start at the plateau and finish at the tank trail.
    It is about 1700' of descending over 4 to 5 miles. Pizza will be at the parking lot after the race The upper section has spots where it is too steep to ride up, the lower section flatens out so the lungs/legs will burn with delight, their are quit a few banked corners to help out with your direction change throughout the course. So come on out and support the local race scene register 6 pm to 6 45 , start the ascent at 7 and bomb the course at 8ish, the view from the start is preaty dang sweat!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So we're starting and finishing at N. Bivouac but the race is only from the top of the Dome back to the parking lot? I seem to be missing some trails in my mental map b/c I'm having trouble connecting the Dome to N. Biv. Should be interesting regardless.

Bikes are good

As per...

D-Mat, sounds like the timer stops when you get to the tank trail. Pizza will be at N. Bivouac. Registration at N. Biv from 6-6:45, then get your tail up the dome and wait your turn. We were wondering if the race included the scars portion, the real "top" of the Dome. If not, maybe next year. Thanks for getting the permit from the military guys D-. Awesome.

From N.Bivouac ride East toward the mountains, away from hilltop. You'll get to a powerline area with a clearing, keep riding now parallel to the mountains, north through the military gate, down the hill, over the bridge and your next right is the trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I guess that is the same basic approach, I just usually start from that neighborhood at corner of Tudor and Muldoon (Kulitna?) or the Stuckagain heights trailhead but that one's not so bike friendly and you couldn't fit a crowd at either of those.

The king is on fire
    If anyone wants to meet up and ride downtown or just talk about this hit me up, my # is 443.536.1208 and I'm staying at the corner of 6th and L street. Currently getting the bike back together!
    Have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0