DH / FR Trails in the Anchorage Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DH / FR Trails in the Anchorage Area

Been watching some great videos and clips on the net and am really getting the itch to ride some more aggressive trails. Something with less climbing and more DH. Would be nice to see some drops and opportunities for a few jumps.

Is there anything likes this in the Anchorage area? Or, am I going to have to go South to cure my illness.....

Sure wish someone would update the Mt Bike Alaska book.........

Ologist
    Not much really in terms of downhill. There are variations off of wolverine, prospect heights, and Flattop/powerline. Some can be set up with a shuttle, but no true downhill (particularly w/out climbing). Hilltop was suppose to move forward again on a dh/fr park but I hear it is getting stalled again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Not much really in terms of downhill. There are variations off of wolverine, prospect heights, and Flattop/powerline. Some can be set up with a shuttle, but no true downhill (particularly w/out climbing). Hilltop was suppose to move forward again on a dh/fr park but I hear it is getting stalled again.

Is there anything we can do to help "unstall" that project? Sounds awesome! Maybe we can get coporate sponsors or something. ???? IMBA?

Let's see if we can make that happen!!!!

Maybe we should organize some shuttle trips and DH runs once the trails dry out..... ??

May 2007
    Alyeska offers downhill mountain biking in the summer. I don't know the particulars of it.

Ologist
    I don't think they offered last summer did they? Wonder what the new owners is going to do - it would seem like a no brainer?

mtbr member
    I don't think they offered last summer did they? Wonder what the new owners is going to do - it would seem like a no brainer?
    I haven't been up there in the summer. Are there even many trails to ride? Sure would be nice if they could develop a few. It is nice and steep up there in more than a few places.....

All they would have to do is allow bikes on the Gondola. Tourists ride that up all summer, I think...

Mar 2007

Alyeska

I know that a few years ago you could indeed take your bike up Tanaka and that they built some downhill courses. They closed it 'cuz I guess they weren't making money. I have'nt heard what the new owner is doing, but I'm optomistic since he seems to have plenty of cash to throw around.
    Last edited by steel; 05-18-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    I haven't been up there in the summer. Are there even many trails to ride? Sure would be nice if they could develop a few. It is nice and steep up there in more than a few places.....

All they would have to do is allow bikes on the Gondola. Tourists ride that up all summer, I think...
    From what I remember Alyeska had 1-2 moderate trails and 2-4 technical downhill rides. It was going from 2003 -2005. The Downhill Division is supposedly active but I don't know what they are doing.

As far as Hilltop goes, one of the key players visits this board maybe he will chime in?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    You could try talking to Will (the bartender) over at Cafe Amsterdam. He's mentioned a crew he freerides with and might be able to point you in the right direction.

mtbr member
    How about Alpenglow? Does anyone ride up there?

May 2007
    Huh. It couldn't have been more than a month ago when I read an article on “outdoor activities in Alaska” that made mention of downhill mountain biking at Alyeska. The author must not have gotten the memo.

I shot the resort an e-mail this morning asking for clarification. Their reply included:

“This summer we will work on providing snowmaking to the top of the tram and trail improvements. Next summer we are planning on upgrading our lifts. Until the work is completed we will not have mountain biking on the mountain. Our future plans include a venue where mountain biking is a center figure in summer.”

I’ve heard that the new owner has big plans to turn Alyeska into a four-season resort, but it’s really no surprise that skiing infrastructure renovation will be the top priority for the next couple of construction seasons.

dft
    mtbr member
    are wolverine, prospect heights in the flattop area? i will be there june 9-18th visiting relatives and would like to try to find the most technical descending (don't mind climbing). thanks for any info.

Ologist
    Yes, they are but again not the downhill most people are use to. The Dome use to have terrain features but I think they got torn down

i drink shower water
    i am headed up to alpenglow to push around.. ill let you know how it is.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Members who have read this thread: 0