Devil's Pass to Resurrection Trail to Cooper Landing- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Devil's Pass to Resurrection Trail to Cooper Landing

Made a trip to the Kenai Friday to ride up Devil's Pass, then down Resurrection into Cooper Landing with six other guys. The trail is probably in the best shape I've ever seen it. There's still a few snow patches, but that just helped keep the group together. The day started out sunny and hot, then became partly sunny later on. Just a super ride. Cow parsnip is still low too. Here's a few highlights.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25388699?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="672" height="540" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/25388699">Devil's Pass to Resurrection Pass to Cooper Landing - June, 2011</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3176356">Randy Armstrong</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    VerY nice!

mtbr member
    looks like you had a lot of fun. i'll have to go on that ride once this summer.

beer is good
    Hey Rando, great vid!
    That's always such a good ride.
    The little wooden bridge at the bottom of that switchback still haunts me...
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Nice... an excellent example of this trail! Love the flow captured in your vid'.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the memories. i did that ride a few times in the early 90's when i lived in cooper landing.

mtbr member
    Looks great. Are there still the drainage ditches coming down on the Cooper Landing side?

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Sweet sorrow

Hey Randy....

Thanks for the toast at the end. That was really nice.

Awesome video as usual..... really catches the velocity at times... super fun stuff. Trail looks tacky and fast. It looks like the Kenai is riding well this year vs. last year. Good for you guys!!!

I wish I could be there with my buddies.... but I can't. It would have been nice to put off the move until late summer, but alas it just didn't work out that way. Keep posting the videos.... I'll be on the look out.... makes me smile.

When I get a chance.... I'll post up about cycling in Trinidad.... there's a small cycling community that's pretty active and I hope to get involved soon.... but I doubt the riding is it's anything like AK. There are big mountains here, but welcome to the Jungle, right??

My best to all and keep the rubber side down..... old phucks.

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member
    Don't sound so bummed, man...You're moving to Trinidad!
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great video!

Alaska Turner Mafia

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    That's always such a good ride.
    Yeah, it still hasn't gotten old, and how many times have we ridden that run? Still as flowy as ever. Can you believe it the first time we rode Res end to end was '92!! Wow, no wonder Kyle is callin' me geriatric names!

Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    The little wooden bridge at the bottom of that switchback still haunts me...
    Funny that you mention that. I thought about exactly how you took a dunk when we rode across that bridge last Friday. Every time I hit that corner I see you undershoot and go for a swim! Unforgettable. Actually that whole ride still haunts me! That was he!!

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    It looks like the Kenai is riding well this year vs. last year.
    So far it's been great. Bummer I missed out on the Russian River ride which was primo as well. This weekend, Johnson Pass before the pushki gets out of control. Hoping our trend of top notch conditions continues. And Lost Lake next month.

Do give us a Trinidad scoop sometime. We're all curious. Keep ridin' you young phucker....

Oh, cowboy, I hardly even noticed but a couple of drainage ditches. Not a big deal.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando View Post
    Yeah, it still hasn't gotten old, and how many times have we ridden that run? Still as flowy as ever. Can you believe it the first time we rode Res end to end was '92!! Wow, no wonder Kyle is callin' me geriatric names!
    Jeez Randy now you're making me feel real old. I first rode that trail same timeframe as you but I first skied it in '72.

mtbr member

Oh, cowboy, I hardly even noticed but a couple of drainage ditches. Not a big deal.
    Cool deal. I did it 2 years ago and they must've been freshly dug. We were able to hop over them, but they were about 10" wide, 12" deep, and the width of the trail.

Hoping to get down that way later in july!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

How long is this ride?

Hey Guys,

Newbie to the Forum and Alaska. I've been riding Kepler Bradley a lot this summer and am going down to the Kenai with a friend mid August. Can you tell me how far the ride from Devils pass trailhead up to resurrection trail to the cooper landing is? Looks like about 20 miles or so. I would like to do the entire Hope to Cooper trip but would like to start out with something a little shorter. Also,any idea how overgrown trail will be in mid August? I'm guessing I may want to bring along some long biking pants.

Great video by the way!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Its about 26.5 miles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    wow that place looks amazing looks like i know where i am going on vacation next

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Hey Guys,

Newbie to the Forum and Alaska. I've been riding Kepler Bradley a lot this summer and am going down to the Kenai with a friend mid August. Can you tell me how far the ride from Devils pass trailhead up to resurrection trail to the cooper landing is? Looks like about 20 miles or so. I would like to do the entire Hope to Cooper trip but would like to start out with something a little shorter. Also,any idea how overgrown trail will be in mid August? I'm guessing I may want to bring along some long biking pants.

Great video by the way!

Thanks
    Hey, I"m in Palmer and have been looking for someone to do some riding with, let me know when you go to Kepler next time.

The trail should be pretty good in August. The couple times I've done it have been dry and hardpacked almost the whole way. Devils Club near the top, but not bad. There's enough people through it that it stays pretty beaten back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Coopers landing

Made a trip to the Kenai Friday to ride up Devil's Pass, then down Resurrection into Cooper Landing with six other guys. The trail is probably in the best shape I've ever seen it. There's still a few snow patches, but that just helped keep the group together. The day started out sunny and hot, then became partly sunny later on. Just a super ride. Cow parsnip is still low too. Here's a few highlights.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25388699?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="672" height="540" frameborder="0"></iframe> from Randy Armstrong on Vimeo.
    how long did that ride take? I'm in cooper landing from Vermont and I have a bike......I'm looking to do that ride.