Devil's Pass with a BOB?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Devil's Pass with a BOB?

I am planning a leisurely 3 day Resurrection trip, and have the Caribou Creek, and Devil's Pass cabins reserved. I have biked the Hope to Cooper trail a couple times, but have never been on the Devil's Pass trail. So I am thinking Hope to Devil's Pass and out. Or would DP to Hope be better? Just wondering about conditions on the Devil's Pass trail, keeping in mind I will be pulling a BOB.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

B.o.b.

I did Johnson Pass with a bob once-bring extra cotter pins! Seriously, my trailer is an older model, the newer ones don't break pins as easily. Bring spares anyway. I think any of those rides are totally do-able with bob behind you.

Diaskeuast
    I did Resurrection Pass with a BOB several years ago, and the trailer handled the trip just fine. And I agree with Redcoat about the extra cotter pins, especially if you're using an older BOB like many of us. I always carry a few extras clipped to a zip-tie on the trailer. During my Res. Pass trip that year, I gave a couple of them to a guy who had already cannibalized one of his spokes to keep his BOB attached after losing a cotter pin.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Apr 2007
    I always carry an extra cotter pin, but as of yet have not broken one. Don't remember exactly when I bought the BOB, but am thinking it was about 5 years ago.

What I was really asking about was the grade and condition of the Devil's Pass trail. Instead of doing Hope to Cooper (been there done that) I am thinking of coming out to the Devil's Pass trailhead on the Seward Highway. I was concerned that it might be steep and rough, but from what I read it sounds like it is probably easier that the Swan Lake to Devil's Pass section of the main Resurrection trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

DP trail conditions

DP trail has received significant tractor assisted upgrades in recent years. It's more of a road than a trail now. Typically in good shape, though a lot steeper than the Cooper side of the Res trail. Probably a good idea to use it as the down trail, come up from Hope. Only area of concern might be right above treeline as you're parelleling the valley, crosscutting some rock slide areas. Trail crews have established nice paths through these rocky areas morphing large talus into a rideble trail, though a bit rough even for those not pulling BOBs. You may have to walk a few of these areas, no big deal. There's also a couple creek crossings, most with simple bridges, though there will be a couple you'll walk. The last couple miles before the trail meets the DP cabim, seems liek there are some narrow rocky sections, plus some wheeleating drainage ditches with sharp rocks on either side. The ~10 mi run down from DP Cabin down to DP trailhead on a bike sans BOB is less than an hour, ~2 hours back up. Have fun.

Apr 2007

Smile

dhart,
    Thanks! That is exactly the kind of beta I was looking for

Members who have read this thread: 0