denali and kenai bound! need trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

denali and kenai bound! need trails

I'm sure these get posted all the time but hey, it's worth a try! I'm driving up the west coast from San Francisco to Anchorage and spending a few weeks around Denali and the Kenai. I'm bringing along my hardtail and my GF's squish. I built a custom rig on my flatbed and am looking for places I can camp and ride in those areas that are far from RV people. I'm an advanced rider and my GF is a beginner. I want to do a few rides together and some where I can hook up with others. I'll be in the area mid August. Any suggestions or advice is very much appreciated. If anyone knows of casual small group rides, or anyone feels like showing me a few trails I would very happy to reciprocate in the Bay Area/ Sierras.

Thanks.

pics of my rig w/o the racks on:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails denali and kenai bound! need trails-flatbed.jpg  

@adelorenzo
    That's a pretty sweet setup on the truck.

My suggestion (because I live here) would be to ride a day or two in the Yukon on your way up. Whitehorse has tons of flowy singletrack, nearby Carcross has some really cool shuttle-accessed trails.

Do a search and check some of the threads around here for more info. I'm out of town in early August so can't offer to show you around. You can buy trail maps locally, or borealebiking.ca offers guiding packages if you want to go that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cooper landing on th kenai penninsula has some excellent riding.

hope to cooper landing on the resurection trail
    devils pass to cooper landing
    the russian river trail
    crescent creek
    johnson creek
    primrose trail

there is enough mountain biking out of cooper landing to not have to go anywhere.
    these where my main rides when i lived there. some will need shuttles becasue they are point to points.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    All of the rides that Tim mentioned are excellent and can be done round trip too. I live on the Kenai (25 years) and if you have any specific questions concerning riding here I'll try to assist.

Camping away from RV's with an RV may require more effort than it's worth. Good luck with it though, if RV's are an issue perhaps visiting some other state might be a better option. Alaska is loaded with Rvs in the summer, FYI.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks all for your advice.

I'm going to try to leave a few days early and do a day or 2 in BC. The more I think about this trip, the more time I need.I decided that I'm going to bring my Ibis Mojo and a cyclocross bike so I can do a bit of everything. Yesterday I did a long ride in the Sierras and got super psyched to ride in AK. As soon as I finish my rig, I'm going to hit the road.

As far as RV camping, I realize AK is filled with RV's. This is actually the first time I've done anything but tent camping so my expectations are possibly a bit unrealistic. I was hoping to find a place that was quiet and close to trails. Probably just a fantasy.

Has anyone ridden around the Denali area? The Kenai riding sounds great, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've ridden around the Interior but it's been a while. Hopefully someone from the valley or other areas north will chime in.

Make sure you allow as much time as you can for this trip. You will need it.

seedub

Hope AK, on Kenai P

Palmer Creek Rd. out of Hope, which is the north end of the Resurrection Pass trail mentioned above. Good 4WD camping, kinda 4WD road, puddles and potholes and kinda away from it all, yet two hours from Anchorage. Hope is cool too, salmon, bears, beer. Bring bear spray, ride together, close together.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I made it to Anchorage last night! I called Rick @ Ready to Race for some trail advice in town. He gave me directions to hilltop ski area where I ran into a local and went for a spirited xc ride on a very well thought out and maintained trail system. I may ride around Hope today. The weather has cleared for a bit but rain seems certain. I may head for the interior for some sun.

On the way here, I spent 2 days at a Richie Schley camp @ Whistler and learned how to jump and clean all those crazy features, an amazing experience and worth every penny! The next riding I did was in Whitehorse, Yukon. I met Rory at the Icycle Sports right before they closed. He invited me to ride with he and his friends and have beers and steak after, very cool! The tails were a good mix and also well maintained. I'm really stoked to meet al these very coool and generous people! It certainly makes traveling a lot more fun.

Any advice for the Denali, Fairbanks area might come in handy, thanks.

@adelorenzo
    Glad that worked out for ya. Sounds like you camped in my driveway while you were here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ha, that's funny! I had a great time trying to tire your dog for the evening but not sure we had much effect. For what it's worth, I had a great time in Whitehorse and appreciate the driveway. Let me know if you need the favor returned in SF.

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0