Cyclist hit on Tudor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cyclist hit on Tudor

I just missed it happening but a young lady on a yellow road bike was hit at about the second street just past the Bragaw intersection. It looked like by the way the Explorer was sitting, the lady stopped a little too far past the stop sign to see traffic and didn't see the cyclist and plowed into her. She was on the ground obviously in pain by the way she was moving holding her leg and hip. Figured I'd post this up. People not paying attention as usual.

Mike

Wood chips are stupid

Bumpers hurt

That sucks. Lets hope the rider is ok.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jul 2007

Turdor Rd is scary

I am surprised the number of people that bike commute alongside Tudor. The number of drivers that don't pay any attention to anything, will cause exactly what that woman (the cyclist) went through.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I cross and ride part of Tudor when I commute to work.When I cross at Tudor and Bragaw I will not cross the street unless I make eye contact with whoever is in the curb lane,regardless of whether I have the cross signal.If you do not do this your chances of being hit are greatly increased.Most drivers in this town have a blatant disregard for other motorist let alone cyclist.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    There have been a few there this summer. I've heard several "car vs. bicycle" accidents around town reported on the AM700 traffic reports this summer.

Be careful out there!

Beware of Doggerel
    Bummer,

A few weeks ago I saw a fellow bike commuter stop short and flip over he bars when some driver cut her off.

Stuff like this makes me angry. Those idiots in cars should be banned from the roads. Seriously.

Oh well.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Last incident I saw on the news the reported blamed the cyclist. It was the typical crossing a road when you have a walk signal and some moron didn't bother to look when pulling past the stop line.

Dec 2006
    indeed hopes the rider will ride again in good health and hope this does not deter her from riding again. That said my neighbor had a similar encounter on Tudor and Bragaw crossing the sidewalk with walk signal and an autosaurus made half turn before stopping inches from her. I knew this cause my bike was in the right lane and I was wondering why traffic stopped on a green light. In the end be careful and cautious my recommendation is ride on the road hold up traffic if need be, use trails. Autosauruses is a curious animal the brain is smaller than the cellphone in their hands. Oh yea and ride in Critical Mass brought to you courtesy UAA Bike Club.

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoat
    Last incident I saw on the news the reported blamed the cyclist. It was the typical crossing a road when you have a walk signal and some moron didn't bother to look when pulling past the stop line.

Witnessed one of those a few days ago.

The rider was going south across northern lights on the fred meyer side with a walk signal, a lady in a volvo was behind the crosswalk line. As soon as the cyclist was entering the intersection she pulled up looking left to see if she could turn right. She never looked to the right. The cyclist braked for all he could but ended up crashing into her and luckily landing on his backpack on top of her hood. He rolled off and walked around just fine.

I know I have my head on a swivel when I am riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The threat of vehicles pulling through crosswalks/corners, looking left to turn right, is the number one reason I'm more comfortable biking on the road with traffic than on sidewalks. When on a bike path or sidewalk, I tend to treat any intersection as having a stop sign, whether there is a green walk symbol or not, unless there is enough visibility to satisfy myself that it is all clear.

Members who have read this thread: 0