Custom Handle Bar Lighting System- Mtbr.com
    Grillin' & Chillin'

Custom Handle Bar Lighting System

Here's a photo of what I've created in my garage with a few spare parts that are always laying around just useless and taking up space. This set-up is a little heavy, but you can see everything within a 1/2 mile. I think I will test it out at the next Goose Lake Crit. That venue will be best for a test as I won't need too long of an extension cord for the closed course.

Actually this is a good example of cheaply made crap made with crappy pot metal. The work light bar that connected to the telescoping post didn't even last 3 months before breaking. I was quite pi$$ed off when it broke and didn't know what to do with it. I was staring at it contemplating what to do with it and couldn't come up with a way of reattaching it with some kind conglomeration of bolts and clamps when I noticed that the hole in the telescopic tube was about the size of a road bike head tube. Voila! Thus the solution. I used some expanding bar end plugs to attach the "light bar" to the handle bars. The bars and stem came off my old monocoque composite Trimble Frame - serial number 1.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Diaskeuast

Hooooooo, boy!

Dang, son! You bring them there lights. I'll bring a deer rifle and some Coors Light, then we'll get ol' aka bubba and we'll go a poachin' ... I mean huntin'.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    LOL ! Thats great ! I need something like that the next time I ride out on the inlet . It would definantly make it easier finding that elusive trail back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Badass

Now those are some BadAss lights. Send you out ahead on Frigid Bits rides to scare/hunt moose off the trail! You just need a BoB trailer with a genset to power 'em!

Grillin' & Chillin'

Last Man Standing

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat
    Now those are some BadAss lights. Send you out ahead on Frigid Bits rides to scare/hunt moose off the trail! You just need a BoB trailer with a genset to power 'em!
    I've got the B.O.B., but I need a Genset. Also I'd have to go last as the lights would melt the trail for those that followed.
    Last edited by speedsk8_ak; 12-17-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

We want... a shrubbery!
    Screw the genset... wire 10 12 volt car batteries in series!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Whoah!

Hope you're not one of those gram counting weight-weenies, 'cause you're gonna be in lead-acid hell pulling all those batteries down the trail!

Caveman
    Thats awesome, Someone find a generator and lets make this happen.

Would be a fantastic post to poke fun at everyone on the lights, gps, etc forum.

Jul 2006
    I wonder if we could run it from an inverter hooked into a 12v battery. At least long enough for a picture! As they say everything is bigger in Alaska………………

Diaskeuast
    I've got a little Honda generator that would fit in a BOB trailer and light those suckers right up.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    2 AA rechargeables or 4? BTW, those are LEDs aren't they?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Ups

A UPS would be easier wouldn't it? Depending on the wattage requirements you may even be able to find one that would fit in the frame if secured properly.. definitely doable with a B.O.B.

Christopher

Grillin' & Chillin'

Halogen Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnac
    2 AA rechargeables or 4? BTW, those are LEDs aren't they?
    LED's are for wooseys. Each lamp is a 500w Halogen face melter. I'd have to hook up two B.O.B.s in train to hold the 5,000 AAs that it would take to fire those babies up. The idea of the UPS is a bright idea too - pun intended - but nothing would beat the wow factor and the rolling in the snow hilarity of having a video showing someone firing up a GenSet on my B.O.B. and then doing a parade lap around the Goose.

Seriously folks, if Bad Karma is down with hauling his small Honda GenSet to the next Frigid Bits Crit on the Goose, I'd be delighted to get that bar setup on my Giant NRS for the event. We might need to hire some pros to do some pre-production set-up to get the video shoot done right.

"Fires Of Hell-O-Gen"
    Scene 1 Act 1:
    Location/Scene Setup: Goose Lake Frigid Bits Criterium
    Shot Setup: Close up of Grill Meisters Assistant firing up the GenSet. Camera pulls back to take in Grill Meister and the B.O.B. Grill Meister flicks on the lights to flood the Goose in the fiery light of Hell-O-Gen. Grill Meister rolls out onto the course for a parade lap with the other Frigid Bit-ers joining in a NASCAR style pace lap.
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hooah!

This is too awesome of an idea- it has to become reality! I will help with whatever we need. I have a BoB trailer, I have a couple of the same type floodlights- we could hook the BoB's in tandem, lights on the bike, lights on one of the BoB's, GenSet on the other! We could... Alright, gettin' carried away here, but it is a great and really funny idea...

Jul 2006
    Grill Meister, I will have my video camera all charged up and ready to go lets do it...................

Diaskeuast
    The Honda generator is a go. It's a small inverter type commonly used for RVs, etc., so as long as those suckers light up when you plug them into a wall socket, we should be good.

The generator weighs 50 pounds, so if you have any spare bungee cords, toss 'em in. We'll need to strap in it well in case The Grillmeister takes a spill!

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsk8_ak
    We might need to hire some pros to do some pre-production set-up to get the
    I would be able to come out with my fast 'Glass' and do still still photography.. don't have any good videography gear though.

Christopher

We want... a shrubbery!
    Can't wait to see the write-up of this in the GPS & Lighting section!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Dec 2006
    Sweet light system I'd like to hook it up to my front hub dynamo to see what type of drag this puts on it I haven't measured voltage lately but Iam probably pushing 15W now

Fatback
    Hey GrillMeister, looking at all the twists and turns in the course, I think it needs to be a helmet mount.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Grillin' & Chillin'
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    Hey GrillMeister, looking at all the twists and turns in the course, I think it needs to be a helmet mount.
    I'll have to borrow the helmet that ickyickyptngzutboing's avatar is wearing. Or some outriggers that attach to shoulder pads for lateral support.

This lighting system could be used as a tactical weapon too, if it was attached to a helmet. You know how bad it is when someone shines their wimpy LED in your face. Just imagine two 500 Watt Halogens. Other riders would need some SPF 1000 face cream.
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Moosey Luv

Better not wear that thing on your head during the rut!

Members who have read this thread: 0