Crecent Lake Trail????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Crecent Lake Trail????

Anyone been up layely with trail conditions?
    I've never done that trail but have some out of town guests in with some experience that want a fairly mellow ride. How technical is the trail? I've heard it described as a good family trail, is that true?
    Lastly, is the trailhead down the road behind the Sunrise restuarant & the airport?
    Thanks
    Vance in AK.

Jul 2006
    A little steep elevation gain on the Carter Lake side but then it flattens out and from the Crescent trail side it is a gradual elevation gain and roughly 6.5 miles give or take. I was on it a few weeks ago and it was great. A few friends did it this past weekend and they said that is was fast and the conditions could not have been better. Keep an eye out for runners and bears.

There used to be a trail on the south side of the lake that was a fun ride but I have not been on it in a while and can not tell you the condition.

Crescent lake is definitely family friendly in my opinion and worth it for a fun family type ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Bubba.
    How is it if you do it as a thru ride instead of an out & back & go up Crecent & down the Carter Lake side? Still "family friendly"? How far thru from crecent lake cabin to the Carter Lake trailhead?
    Vance in AK.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not possible. The trail that runs alongside the lake between the Crescent and Carter Lake trails is primitive at best. I've haven't experienced it it but I've been told it's rarely maintained and a bit of a bushwhack to even hike it. Out and back on Cresent is your best bet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks guys.
    Sounds like a good place to play.
    Vance in AK.

s62
    mtbr member
    It's in good condition, for sure. I've been hitting it weekly for the last few weeks. It's a little overgrown in places, and the erosion is certainly getting worse, but other than that, it's fine. I wrote a recent review of it here at MTBR. Just go to the Trail Review section and check it out.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

i drink shower water
    i rode it 8 days ago and it was awesome.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

s62
    mtbr member
    If you guys are ever in the area and plan on hitting Cresent, shoot me a PM the day before, or an email, and maybe we can ride together. I'm looking for some people to ride with. I'd like to push myself, as I'm a relative noob to MTB'ing, and it'd be nice to have someone to push my comfort zone.
    Thanks!
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hiked it on 8/3. It looked like no problems the whole way for a bike, other than whacking cow parsnip occasionally. The fireweed is in full bloom and covering large swaths of landscape. Not much bugs either. If you wait a few more weeks the fall colors will be out and it will be stunning.

s62
    mtbr member
    I just rode it again a few days ago, and the fire weed is AMAZING. Do yourself a favor, and hit this trail. It's extremely good right now.
    w/ E150 and Command Post

40 & Fast
    I'm late posting this as I did the trail on labor day.
    Anyway I had fun, the weather cooperated and I didn't break anything.
    The trail is mostly easy with a few technical sections thrown in.
    I was able to clean everything but the second ginormous root at the top of a short climb (I wasn't going fast enough).
    Several sections of the trail have a nice flow and are fun on the way back.
    I met J62, but unfortunately he couldn't ride with me.
    I tracked the run on my computer and heres what I got

I did it in 2 hours 20 minutes, not counting the 15 or so minutes I chilled at the lake. I wasn't out to set a record, I actually took it easy as there where several people about and I rode safe enough to deal with hikers and bikers.

The trail is just short of 13 miles round trip from the parking lot. I recorded 12.97 miles and parked just up the road as the parking lot was full.

This pic is the first switch back climbing from the parking lot.

This pic from where the trail drops right next to the creek.

This pic from the first bridge at just past half way.

This pic is the end of the trail; crescent lake Yah.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

Dec 2006
    dang that looks like a sweet ride anyone rode it in the winter?... or maybe I'll change my snow bike to summer for this ride...

Mr.Secret
    I don't recommend this but I seem to recall, several years ago, a group of riders riding up to Crescent Lk. and wanting to go out all the way to Trail Lk. but when they discovered that the Primitive trail was going to be a brutal hike-a-bike went back to the forest service cabin and piled their bikes in the forest service row boat and rowed to the other end. I'm sure the forest service was real happy getting their boat back to the other end.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Members who have read this thread: 0