Could this have been legal?- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Could this have been legal?

I went for a spin yesterday evening to ride Brown Bear a couple of times, and then make my way across Campbell Airstrip Road and ride some of the singletracks from North Bivouac. As I made my way on the Service High trails, I just skirted the end of the Hilltop Ski parking lot, and ran into this guy just idling along.

It struck me as odd that here was a full sized private vehicle on the lighted loop, and then even stranger when I realized what was on his roof. It took me a few seconds to get my camera out and snap a shot. While doing so I thought either he's making it plain as day so he doesn't appear to be involved in any wrongdoing, or he's actually legit and has proper permissions. The back of his rig was really loaded down too.

Anyone know any details about this? I'll call wildlife enforcement tomorrow for some info.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Moose Hunt

There is a registration-only moose hunt going on right now in Chugach State Park. It started October first and will last about two months, or until the quota is reached.

mtbr member
    EndoRando, is that our moose?
    Save the Trails: http://www.imba.com

Ologist
    Hillside hunt DM666 doesn't start until 1 Nov (he is way below the area) and the Ship Creek hunts DM446/447/435 are miles away and the other side of the road. Even if he is in the right, the permit does not provide provisions for riding your truck down those trails. Did you see the truck coming down the trail? Do you have the license plate number?
    Last edited by Valhalla; 10-08-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Ologist

It turns out....

that this moose was dispatched by the State Troopers after it was hit by a car. The guys in the suburban were on the salvage list (charity/native organizations). Still don't understand how they ended over there on the lighted loop??

Dec 2006
    does anyone have a map os the trails the ones by Campbell Airstrip?? started going down but think I may have gone off the trail since I went about 30 minutes not reaching the end of the trail seemed odd.

Ologist
    There are those aerial photo trail maps that were put together mostly for skiers a couple of years back. You can find them at any bike shop. They cover all of Anchorage and as with any dated maps they are missing a lot. I would like to map all those single track with a gps,but I would imagine somebody already has.

Where did you start? Lots of trails keep looping around.

Dec 2006
    I started right on Campbell airstrip road... went down took a left at the junction thats there with the bridge... and just kept going although this was in the fall I just remember seeing lots of bear c#@p on the trail... gave me a good idea though I'll bring my gps along and make some waypoints... come to think of it I did loop about twice.

Members who have read this thread: 0