Coming for a visit...- Mtbr.com
    I think this is a trail..

Coming for a visit...

This tuesday my girl friend (Gnarlene) and I will be flying to Anchorage with the plan being to ride our bikes back home to Canmore Alberta. We figure we might be a bit early but hopefully the weather gods will be merciful to us. We plan on taking seven weeks.

Our route is likely going to be as follows...
    Anchorage to Homer by bike, fly to Seward, ride up to Portage, train to Whittier, ferry to Valdez, ride up to Tok and down to Haines. Ferry through the Inside Passage, hitting Juneau, Sitka, Wrangell, Prince of Wales Island and Ketchikan. Ferry to Prince Ruppert and hop the train to Jasper (cheating, yeah I know...) then ride the Icefields Parkway home to Canmore.

Any advice, suggestions or comments? If you spot us say "Hi!", we'll be the Mutt and Jeff team, me with a large red old school touring bike and Gnarlene with a tiny black Kona mountain bike. We'll be towing BOBs with red packs.

Oh, if anyone is in touch with AK Ken send him this way, we'd love to hear from him.
    Yard Sale! Corner of Courage and Incompetence

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    First off, Gnarlene is the coolest name ever.

Sounds like a fun trip. Do you have a more specific time table or are you just flying (pedaling?) by the seat of your pants?

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I can make one suggestion: from Whittier, take the ferry to Cordova instead of to Valdez. Bike from Cordova out of town along tho old Kennicott railroad path to Child's Glacier and the Million Dollar Bridge, about a sixty mile ride.

It's one of the most unique places you can visit that has road access. I'll spare you the details so not to ruin the surprise. My wife and I did this as a bike tour a couple of years ago and are dying to repeat. Then, catch the next scheduled ferry from Cordova to Valdez and continue your trip.

An interesting sidetrip on your way north from Valdez would be to take the Edgerton Cutoff to Chitina, and then continue on to McCarthy, the largest ghost town in the U.S. It's a really scenic and historic sight also not to miss.

It's also a shame you're skirting so much of the interior and Denali Park, and the Denali Hiway. They'd also be worthwhile attractions to try and fit in.

Rando
    Last edited by EndoRando; 05-11-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

We have a rough schedule but basically the only real thing we have to be on time for is the train ride between Prince Ruppert and Jasper. Everything before that is just a rough plan.

Thanks for the sugestions. We have been thinking about fitting in Cordova and if the weather and ferry schedules are in our favor we will probably do it. Once we get to Whittier I think we'll have a better idea.

Also considered McCarthy but are thinking late May may be a bit early to head up there, especially with the bikes. Would hate to trash our drivetrains in mud and have to deal with that for the rest of the trip. You never know though, if we are making good time and the weather looks good...

We also considered Denali and the Denali highway but once again think we may be pushing it trying to ride through there in May. You never know though, we may get to Anchorage and decide to head north instead of south...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Late May is a good time to visit McCarthy-Kennicott, if they didn't have a heavy snow year. It's before the crowds show up and Root Glacier should be snow free and the ice surface has not been melted by the summer heat and gotten slick. A buddy and I rode the glacier back in 95' around the 1st of June and it was fantastic. Here's a link to a page of my website with decriptions and photos of rides around McCarthy-Kennicott. It's an amazing place, biking or not and if you get a chance go see it.

As to seeing the Interior it is usually drier than other parts of Alaska and if you get hit by lots of rain you might want to swing through and dry out. It's much warmer up here too, when not in winter mode. t

http://home.gci.net/~winterbiker/kennicott.html

Jan 2004
    SKOGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get thy shiny white arses up to Denali!!!!!! It's been the lightest snow year ever on the Denali Highway (on the west end at least) and the Denali Park Road is driveable for 30 miles then spectacular riding from there is available until Friday.

McCarthy is great, but you've already pedalled close to there, right? Most of the trip you have outlined is through terrain/vegetation like your home range. You're still hundreds of miles south of the geographic center of Alaska.

We've got LOTS of room, vehicles, groceries, bike parts, bikes, et cetera. IM me or e mail me or whatever; I'll give you numbers, pick you up in Anchorage, whatever it takes. As long as you're not bringing Celly.

Ken

Hey Ken!
    We sent you an e-mail, the address is old so hopefully it got to you. We were writing off Denali and the Denali Highway figuring the spring thaw would be going on still. We are going to have skinny slicks on our bikes and pulling BOBs, so mud is something we'll want to avoid. Maybe I'll be spending tonight putting gears back on the old Dekerf and stuffing that into a box!

You and the other guys have us thinking of heading north instead of south...

Jan 2004
    Check your E.

Ken

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    As long as you're not bringing Celly.
    Ken
    Oh I KNOW! I've ridden with him a couple of times (Waterdown Ontario and Wizzler BC) and he chatters like a dry King rear hub. Maybe Spike and fatherhood quietened him down though.

Members who have read this thread: 0