coming to anchorage- Mtbr.com
    Dab Master

coming to anchorage

Going to be in AK the week of August 22nd. Before we head into Denali (at the end of the week) I would like to ride around Anchorage one morning 8/22 or 8/23. anyone want to give someone from Westchester NY a nice tour??? I know its a long time away but I'm really excited.
    I'm staying in Anchorage and would need to rent a steed. Any suggestions???? I'm gonna miss my Bullit

Beware of Doggerel

hey

Westchester huh? Well I grew up in Walden N.Y. just a bit north on the Orange/Ulster boarder. August is a long way off. But keep an eye on this board as there are regular group rides posted here in the summer. This board is a good way to hook up with folks in Anchorage as a bunch of us are pretty active on here. There is some nice riding south of Anchorage on the Seward highway, namely Johnsonís Pass and Resurrection Pass. The park road up in Denali is a great ride also. I canít guaranty that I will be available but I would be happy to show you around, just post up here on the board a little closer to your arrival.

I travel between Anchorage and Walden NY a fair amount and I ship my bike via
    sportsexpress.com, this is much easier than taking the bike on a plane and costs about the same. Maybe a little more as the rates vary, but the convenience is huge. They pick your boxed bike up at your door and take it wherever you are sending it via fed ex. It usually arrives in 2 days. Last time I used it the rates were dirt cheap going from AK to NY but over twice as much going from NY to AK so price the round trip because if you just price the NY to AK leg and then assume the round trip is double the price is ridiculous.

Anyway this site is a good place to get info. I donít know where you can rent a bike, but there are at least a few shop guys on this board who should be able to help.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by fattireb
    Going to be in AK the week of August 22nd. Before we head into Denali (at the end of the week) I would like to ride around Anchorage one morning 8/22 or 8/23. anyone want to give someone from Westchester NY a nice tour??? I know its a long time away but I'm really excited.
    I'm staying in Anchorage and would need to rent a steed. Any suggestions???? I'm gonna miss my Bullit

Dab Master
    thanks adam - i know its far off but i get excited about riding outside the tri state area. thats good info to know about shipping out one of my rides.

later - FTB

mtbr member

Smile I'm not positive but

thanks adam - i know its far off but i get excited about riding outside the tri state area. thats good info to know about shipping out one of my rides.

later - FTB
    I don't think anyone in Anchorage rents "high end" bikes. I think you should either bring your own bike or try and hook up with someone here who is your size and maybe borrow a bike while in Anchorage.....uh, I would share with you.....but you must be about 5'-6" tall to ride one of mine.......most folks who visit this board would lend you a bike if they have one.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Bike Rentals... Bullits

Most of the places that I know that rent up here are Kona dealers and I don't know of an equivalent model of the SC Bullit in the Kona line, especially one that they might carry. The Bullit I personally don't think of as a XC bike / trail bike..but thats just me and most of our riding pretty much falls into that category. I don't know if I have even seen one out on the trail before. We do have a SC dealer up here, but I have never heard of them renting.

Does anyone know if the Aleyska Downhill is renting rides yet, or is it just BYOB?

Christopher

Dab Master
    I have other bikes....now I'm leaning towards bringing out my Liquid 55 - which is a great all-mountain machine! My riding style is Cross Stuntry so I have my Bullit down to 36 pounds but i wouldn't want to be pushing that thing up the big AK mountains

AKDave - I think you talk with my buddy Bikezilla. correct me if I'm wrong. and by the way - your bike would fit me like a BMX bike - I'm 6'2"

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Na, not me....probably my riding partner.....

I have other bikes....now I'm leaning towards bringing out my Liquid 55 - which is a great all-mountain machine! My riding style is Cross Stuntry so I have my Bullit down to 36 pounds but i wouldn't want to be pushing that thing up the big AK mountains

AKDave - I think you talk with my buddy Bikezilla. correct me if I'm wrong. and by the way - your bike would fit me like a BMX bike - I'm 6'2"
    Endo Rando.....The Turner "hitman" has been known to converse with "the Zilla". Hummmmm, bmx! Hope to meet ya this summer.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

Jun 2005

You were talking about morning rides based from Anchorage so--

I suggest you beg borrow or steal a bike and or go with what you get. I mean if you're going to something like Kincaid Park you can do without all the bells and whistles from what I have seen or done there. You might be better off with moose repellant

Moose on the way to Kincaid Park--> https://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/262777moose.JPG
    Last edited by numbuhio; 07-02-2005 at 07:43 PM.

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    I think I remember reading on the paper that the Alyeska Downhill people were renting bikes (I'm pretty sure it was last summer I read it), Cannondale's maybe? they were teaming up with one of the shops to do that. I don't know if all their rentals were on-site only though.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    Does anyone know if the Aleyska Downhill is renting rides yet, or is it just BYOB?
    Christopher
    I think they just cut the red tape on a new rental fleet this weekend. They are all geared up for the DH runs that have been set up on Tanaka. Not sure about prices for the rental, or if they will let you remove the bike from the mountain for your rides though.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    I think I remember reading on the paper that the Alyeska Downhill people were renting bikes (I'm pretty sure it was last summer I read it), Cannondale's maybe? they were teaming up with one of the shops to do that. I don't know if all their rentals were on-site only though.
    The site says they are renting bullits and V-10s