Cold Feet...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cold Feet...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Cold Feet...

You guys out there must suffer. Cold feet drive me crazy if heading up to the north of scotland,

so, shoes then, that take a cleat?

what do you wear?

Ta,

is buachail foighneach me
    Humidity makes a given temperature feel alot colder.

Alot of people that run clipless in the winter buy winter cycling shoes 3-5 sizes too big so that they can put a pack boot liner and extra felt insole in there. Some make themselves custom shoes. Alot switch to flat pedals and warm boots, some with power grips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    cheers [drunky?]

I guess it's colder than most places for you there.

I might try some of those shimano hiking boot type spd's. I'm only thinking temps about -5C ish

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

cold strategies

for riding to about 25F, I do wool sox with gore-tex oversox on my regular riding shoes (wtih eggbeater clips)...if it gets colder I go to flat pedals, and running shoes with the woolies and gtex inside a neos overshoe (http://www.overshoe.com) They've got a zillion different options...like Sean said, that humidity makes a huge difference, and in Southcentral AK where we live (as compared to north of Denali) we've got lots of it! kk

is buachail foighneach me
    drunky indeed! do you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    uh huh,

of course...

Bikes are good

Home remedy

I really like the power and control you get with clipless pedals, so working toward something that worked with Lake boots (although the boots suck themselves.) was key. The lake boots are good to about 20 degrees. I cut old snowpants off at the diameter that would fit around the perimeter of the bottom of my shoe. Glued it with shoo goo or something. The zipper on the side of the pants makes for easy on and off. Put a cinch tie at the top so it fits snug around my leg. Sewed in some cotton batting around the toe area to push the material away from my foot, and riding in -20 temps is an easy go with them. Clipless and all. Probably a better material than old crappy snowpants material, but it works for now. Kind of along the lines of the pogie idea. Create a dead space between your foot and the outside. Good luck
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Members who have read this thread: 0