Coastal route: Oceanview to Westchester?- Mtbr.com
    Diaskeuast

Coastal route: Oceanview to Westchester?

I've had this ride in the back of my mind for two or three winters, so I'm sure some of you have done it -- or at least tried it. Assuming the snow and ice conditions are favorable at some point later this winter, does anyone have advice on what problems I'd be likely to encounter?

I know the tides would be a factor, but are there areas where ice plates tend to pile up? Any man-made obstacles that I'm not seeing Google Earth images? Anything else that might get in the way?

Caveman
    Tim,
    I've done it a few times and I bet it will be really good right now, you need it to be pretty cold for it to be fun. These photos are from 2 different rides an early season one october, one november.. its much better all frozen up.

Leaving the beach at kincaid you cross a big slough then stay closer to the trees and you'll hit more ice patches and the drainiages are smaller. gets rocky / cobbly around the sewage outfall at the big rip rap you just hike above them and you can almost bike a little trail before dropping back to the cobbled shore that wraps around waranzof. After that there the beach gets nice and there are a few more big sloughs and nasty culverts you are forced to get around to get back over to the coastal trail - fish creek area.

I would pack ice grippers for your feet to get around some icy spots and possibly the sloughs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bearbait; 12-03-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Caveman
    more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Diaskeuast
    Thanks for the advice and great photos. Based on several rides along the South Anchorage bluffs over the past couple of winters, I prefer riding the coast when it's all ice, or firm snow. I'd love to do the full ride using the Pugsley on snow, but too many falls have made me a bit phobic about ice without studded tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Campbell Lake

Getting around the Campbell Lake outflow can be tricky. If the lake is frozen it is no big issue, but if not it can get ugly. We went up the dam and rode around on the ice - at that time the slough was really deep and scary looking, but may have been ok way out from shore. At any rate, that was the only issue for us.

Members who have read this thread: 0