Co2 TIRE PUMP TEST- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Co2 TIRE PUMP TEST

Well today was the day.I commuted to work today with my pugs so I could test the co2 tire pump at the end of the return ride home.
    The temperature when I left work was 11deg, and I kept a slow pace home so I knew that I would be out over an hour.
    When I got home I completely deflated my front tire to get worse case scenario .The pump I have uses the larger 16gram co2 cartridges.I put one full cartridge into the tire then tried to measure the pressure. Unfortunately the only gauge I could find was the one on my tire pump which is not very accurate at low pressure . I took it for a little test ride and it was ridable but there was some side wall folding.
    After the brief test ride I took it back to the driveway and shot another cartridge into it.This definantly put it over the top and according to the pump it had almost 10 lbs.in it. At this point it was very ridable.
    As far as damage to the tube ? I will find out tomorrow night when I take it out for a ride.

is buachail foighneach me
    try finding the bigair cartridges. i think they're 24 grams. although it might be easier to just use two 16s instead of one and a half 24s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff1962
    As far as damage to the tube ? I will find out tomorrow night when I take it out for a ride.
    Why do you think the tube might be damaged? The cold air from the CO2 or from riding it at the lower pressure?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff1962
    Logically speaking I would assume that if it is ok to use a CO2 cartridge. (But you know what they say when you assume)

Because if it is ok to use a CO2 cartridge in warmer months what makes it different in colder months when the tube itself is almost as cold or in some cases "really damn cold" as the discharged air coming from the cartridge.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    Logically speaking I would assume that if it is ok to use a CO2 cartridge. (But you know what they say when you assume)

Because if it is ok to use a CO2 cartridge in warmer months what makes it different in colder months when the tube itself is almost as cold or in some cases "really damn cold" as the discharged air coming from the cartridge.
    Someone had mentioned to me that could be a problem. However the more I think about it the less likely it seems.

Members who have read this thread: 0