Chariot Kid Carrier w/Ski Kit with a Snow Bike?- Mtbr.com
    ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

New question here. Chariot Kid Carrier w/Ski Kit with a Snow Bike?

As a new dad I promptly tried to enable myself to bike with the kiddo by picking up a Chariot trailer and the appropriate attachments.. though the snow bike I haven't quite figured out yet.

The problem I have encountered though is how to hook the Chariot with Ski Attachment (using the bike hitch) up to my snow bike (Fatback)? I have seen someone out on the trails of FNBP riding a snow bike towing a chariot with a kiddo inside; but made some assumptions it seemed straight forward and have no re-encountered them to ask them how.

I assumed it would be just getting a longer quick release skewer and hooking it. Being snow bikes already have a slightly longer skewer, it was a little difficult to find one, but I found the Old Man Mountain panier skewer is long enough. Then with the frame tube/bottom bracket, and the de-railer in the way the chariot hitch doesn't fit.

So I am stuck again trying to figure out how the person did it. I am hoping you either know who the person is and how they did it, or any tips you may have to be my next step to hooking the thing up.

Ideas??

Christopher

mtbr member
    I don't have a fatback but with my 907 I just hooked up the chariot with the bike hitch like anyother bike. I used the skewer that came with my bike and used the ski attachments and it worked great!

The chariot bike hitch is supposed to also come with a longer skewer you can use. Then again I have a different hub than you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I towed a chariot with the original Ti fatback previously. I remember the trailer/bike attachment not exactly fitting at the dropout due to the bike design. I simply rotated the mount a bit so as the larger opening was facing downward. Didn't seem to affect the chariot, it was just more difficult to remove the chariot from the bike. I used the hadley skewer that came with my hub. I suspect your dropout interface is different (aluminum?). Post a picture of both the rear dropout and your chariot bike attachment. Maybe I can help.
    c

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think you just need to convert the push bike to skiis and get a tow rope; that kid would rock the downhills.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    With the Al Fatback's dropout, I can see the problem of the Chariot's hitch not fitting. I'd think you would need an extra long skewer and some spacers to make it work. You would need a spacer inside the dropout that puts the hitch outside the dropout since it is not flat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser View Post
    . Then with the frame tube/bottom bracket, and the de-railer in the way the chariot hitch doesn't fit.
    Ideas?? Christopher
    On my daughters chariot, the hitch mount goes on the non-drive side of the bike, how are you getting any interference with the derailleur or the bottom bracket?

EveryDay
    Aug 2011

wrong bike

Dude,

As an engineer and 25 year fanatic rider I must say you're using the wrong bike for winter trailering. I ride the pugs in the right conditions and an ice spiker pro set up 29 FS. Flotation is a simple. For example my 95 lb wife on 2.25 X26 has more float than my 215 lb on 5 X 26. By the time you add a trailer you are not accomplishing flotation, just drag For safety and efficiency you are way better off with 2.35 studded tires while pulling a trailer. Stopping and control are what is important with another life back there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haines Mountain Biker View Post
    Dude,

As an engineer and 25 year fanatic rider I must say you're using the wrong bike for winter trailering. I ride the pugs in the right conditions and an ice spiker pro set up 29 FS. Flotation is a simple. For example my 95 lb wife on 2.25 X26 has more float than my 215 lb on 5 X 26. By the time you add a trailer you are not accomplishing flotation, just drag For safety and efficiency you are way better off with 2.35 studded tires while pulling a trailer. Stopping and control are what is important with another life back there.
    I can see what you are saying if you are talking about riding a paved trail or sidewalk with snow. I'm not an engineer, but I have used my daughters chariot in the snow. I have used my snow bike with chariot with skis in a fresh dump of snow and the bike provided flotation and the chariot was drug behind. In a lot of fresh snow or on a soft groomed trail the fat tires will do better. That last time I took my daughter through Russian Jack there is no way a 2.35 tire would have gotten anywhere. And I never once had to use my brake because as soon as I stopped pedaling I was at a dead stop already and had the use of brakes came into play the tires grip snow just as good as loose dirt. If you are riding on ice than the studs make sence or walking the bike across sections of ice if needed. I think it all comes down to your conditions that you are riding in.
    Last edited by alaskairhog; 12-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    With the Al Fatback's dropout, I can see the problem of the Chariot's hitch not fitting. I'd think you would need an extra long skewer and some spacers to make it work. You would need a spacer inside the dropout that puts the hitch outside the dropout since it is not flat.
    For my 907 I had to grind a little of the metal away from the chariot hitch. It's pretty beefy and it didn't weaken it enough to be concerned.

mtbr member

EveryDay
    Aug 2011

Cool Setup

We've got different conditions over in Haines. Snow is too deep for any riding all winter except river, lakes, frozen over machine tracks and plowed roads. You guys are stoked with minimal snow and somewhat maintained trail system.

Looks like a cool setup for purpose built trails

@adelorenzo
    I've got three friends running chariots, two with Mukluks and one on a Pugsley. Skis or wheels depending on the conditions. Seems to work well.

This was in a bike race on the weekend. This part was on groomed ski trails but there was a lot of single snowmobile width and narrow foot-packed singletrack involved.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

More Information

As requested I took some photos of the skewers and the dropout.

Rear Skewer lengths are from base of tension handle.
    Old Man Mountain 25.0 cm
    Hadley Ti 21.5 cm
    Chariot Bike Adapter 20.0 cm
    B.O.B. Bike Trailer 18.0 cm (with longer metal nipples on both sides)
    Standard 18.0 cm

As people suggested the dropout has some styling of the Alu that prevent the Chariot Skewer adapter from butting up against the frame. The chariot adapter itself is about 0.5cm thick and about 3.5cm wide. The opening on the drop out is about 4.0cm but it is the angles.

I was thinking of using plastic washers up against the frame and skewer with plastic washer in the middle.. as grinding down the chariot adapter may cause some odd wear to the frame... thoughts?

Christopher

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I'd use a metal spacer with knurld ends for traction. Looks like the OMM skewer will work great!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride a fatback with the chariot too, varying between ski's and wheels depending on conditions and whereabouts. I started off using washers on an extra long bolt that i picked up from Lowes (have the cheap fatback hub that doesn't use the QR) but it would end up pulling the wheel out of alignment. Since then, i switched and bolted the chariot connector to one of the pre-drilled holes in the frame just in front of the wheel mount. At first, i was hesitant that the chariot would end up rubbing on the wheel because of the lost inch or so, but it doesn't. I've run this setup for over a year now and it works perfectly.

Incidentally, make sure you ride with the handle in place on the back of the chariot. It's a leg-saver having your friends give you a push up those steep hills!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did you have any luck with the OMM skewer? I'm in the same predicament.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've had to grind some similar spots away on the chariot hitch to fit my bikes (road, snow, mtn). Try it, almost nothing to loose. If it doesn't work and you ruin the hitch(very unlikely), buy a new hitch $30 at REI. It doesn't seem to rub any more than any quick release would. Nothing moves on the hitch to bike mount once it's secured.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

agree with bob

I own a fatback with aluminum frame and i pulled my daughter around in the snow and on some easier trails. Just use a dermal with a cut off tool an notch the bike hitch adapter. The thing that scared me about using the holes on the bike was bending or stretching the hole. I went ahead and cut a little bit off the bike adapter and it was not enough to notice that the notch was there. And it lines up great.