Carbon Footprint Reduction Vacation- Mtbr.com
    Grillin' & Chillin'

Carbon Footprint Reduction Vacation

I've been telling people for a couple weeks now about the great cycling vacation I had for the month of October. I started in San Francisco and ended in Wickenburg AZ. Just 1 day short of making my intended destination of Lake Havasu, AZ.

Anyway for those who haven't heard about it, I spent 19 days on the road and climbed about 30 different passes, with Carson Pass being the most significant at 8,574 feet and a length of 50 miles. I was in the sun all day, everyday except for a brief 15-20 minutes when a thundershower had wet down the road and I got some spray on my legs.

Anyway, the links below are to view photos from the first two weeks of my vacation.

Week One
    http://picasaweb.google.com/speedsk8...yVegooseOrBust

Week Two
    http://picasaweb.google.com/speedsk8...cationPartDeux

The link below is the route I cycled on Google Maps.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...=UTF8&z=6&om=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oh, man...you passed right through Hurricane, UT. Did you happen to divert for a single-track pilgramage to Mooseberry....err Gooseberry Mesa?

Grillin' & Chillin'

Where I went???

Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Oh, man...you passed right through Hurricane, UT. Did you happen to divert for a single-track pilgramage to Mooseberry....err Gooseberry Mesa?
    SkiMonkee - I'm sure I passed up on a lot of great places to go trail riding, but just wasn't equipped to even think about it. Moab was definitely on my mind, but I'll save that for a later trip. If you click on my link for the Google Maps route I took you can zoom in on the Utah portion to see where I was. I'll have to look up the Goose/Mooseberry?? area.
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Dec 2006
    What setup is that bike? Sounds like a fun ride... how was vehicle traffic? I hope they didn't treat you like they treat bikes in the city honking and such

Grillin' & Chillin'

City Honkin' vs. Country Honkin'

Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    What setup is that bike? Sounds like a fun ride... how was vehicle traffic? I hope they didn't treat you like they treat bikes in the city honking and such
    Once I made east of Sacremento the traffic kept getting thinner and thinner. Country folk seem to be more tolerable that city folk. I think that's pretty much a no brainer. I definitely noticed that the drivers in Arizona seemed to be more curteous than most. In AZ probably more than 50% of the drivers coming up behind me would actually slow down and wait for oncoming traffic to pass before going around me. It's quite the opposite in California though. Way too many cars in CA.

My bike is a Giant NRS full suspension, but it all locks out and is a sweet ride on the road with Bontrager Select Invert K tires. The "K" indicates the casing is Kevlar and they are fairly bomber proof. I've ridden over 5,000 miles on two sets of those tires and have had only four flats, two from thorns and two from shredded steel belted tire wire. Both puncturizers are so tenacious that they just slowly work their way through the kevlar casing.

I'm dragging a B.O.B. trailer. I prefer it over panniers. I don't like the weight on the bike. I'm using a big blue rubbermaid tub for most of my gear and two small rubbermaid "shoe boxes" on top and another slipped on the back end. The whole set up is very efficient once you figure the best way to configure placement of food and gear in the tubs. Camping gear included; a two man North Face Tadpole tent, a 25 degree Kelty light weight sleeping bag and Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite sleeping pad for two trips now and it leaks already and will definitely replace it with a more durable more comfy pad. That pad was just too small.
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Members who have read this thread: 0