Campbell Tract "Trail Improvements"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hillside "Trail Improvements"

I don't know about you all, but I think that the "Hillside Trails" are beginning to resemble a network of gravel roads. Even the Viewpoint Trail is being "improved." Is Rover's Run on the "improvements" list? Black Bear??? Find out by attending a meeting at the Campbell Creek Science Center on Monday, August 30th at 6:00 p.m.
    The Nordic Ski Club may be making it better for skiers (a single user group) but they're impacting the quality of recreation for the multi-user during summer months. I can foresee that mountain bikers and hikers will explore further the narrower trails off the beaten highway within the Campbell Tract, searching for better terrain and tranquility in the woods, qualities that the Ski Club's "improvements" are obliterating. The orienteerers are already upset about the network of informal trails in this area. They can expect that the problem will get worse.
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 08-26-2004 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Wrong term

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well I emailed the notice to you......

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    I don't know about you all, but I think that the "Hillside Trails" are beginning to resemble a network of gravel roads. Even the Viewpoint Trail is being "improved." Is Rover's Run on the "improvements" list? Black Bear??? Find out by attending a meeting at the Campbell Creek Science Center on Monday, August 30th at 6:00 p.m.
    The Nordic Ski Club may be making it better for skiers (a single user group) but they're impacting the quality of recreation for the multi-user during summer months. I can foresee that mountain bikers and hikers will explore further the narrower trails off the beaten highway within the Campbell Tract, searching for better terrain and tranquility in the woods, qualities that the Ski Club's "improvements" are obliterating. The orienteerers are already upset about the network of informal trails in this area. They can expect that the problem will get worse.
    It was not delivered as I had a typo....I resent it a few minuted ago.
    See ya there,
    Dave

Beware of Doggerel

Thanks for the Heads up

Thanks for the info QB & Dave. I was shocked at what happened to the trails. What is the point of these "improvements"?? And where will they stop?? I am putting that meeting in my calendar right now. Also it kills me that they say the "improvements" make the trail a four season trail. I have been riding those "improved" trails almost every day for the last two years, year round, seems like fine four season use to me.

Oh well I'll save up my rantin' and ravin' for when it matters

Adam

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

meeting

I will be there at 6 ! ok Anchorage mt. bikers, its time to make ourselves and mt. bike trail preferences known ! Come to this meeting and voice your concern or at least show up for numerical support.

Dec 2003
    Ill be there if possible. Its been tough for me to get out of work at a decent hour lately.

Caveman
    Shoot, I just got back into town last night and didnt know about it. I hope those who did attend on behalf of mtb community got some good words in.

I also noticed how their improvements are actually degrading the trails! Riding through last night there were lots more mud holes than usual. If you want great skate skiing go to kincaid, campbell tract skiing as in my limited experience been about varying terrain and a little weekday adventure...
    rant rant rant

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Outcome of the meeting?

So did anyone make it to it? Did anyone showup to represent the Mt. Bikers? The combination of short notice and too early in the evening prevented me from getting there.

I hope someone got there as making the trail a sandbox or roads (what I came across the last few times out) I would not consider an improvement.

Christopher

mtbr member

Campbell Tract Meeting

The August 30th meeting was attended by over 30 bikers of all inclinations (racers, recreational riders, free riders, double-trackers, single trackers and commuters). That so many showed up is nothing short of monumental! Even with the short notice, a combination of word-of-mouth, the ABC's touring division email and this forum were critical in getting people to this meeting.

Please also see the comments by Adam on another thread.

The next meeting is Monday, October 4th at 6:20 p.m. at the Campbell Creek Science Center. Typically this group meets on the first Monday of the month at this time.

It was clear to me from this meeting that we need to state a position on the appropriate uses of each individual trail. Otherwise those who are in positions to make major impacts on the trails will designate their use for us.

In the past 24-hours I have spoken with some avid x-c skiers who are also angered at what they see happening. Their impressions are that within the skiing community there are different factions: racers, recreational skiers, Jr. Nordic skiers, high school teams, classic skiers (to name a few). Their feeling is that the improvements are designed primarily to benefit those who race.

From what I gather (those of you who also attended please correct me if I am wrong about this) the Ski Club's 3-year trail "improvement" plan called for filling in the mud holes where water tends to pool on the Homestead and Tour of Anchorage trails. Somehow the mission creeped and we now see what has resulted in some overreaching: from filling in wet spots to the creation of gravel roads. One gentleman pointed out that there is a provision in The Plan for "revegetation." The Ski Club's representative stated that they had planted a few hundred seedlings--apparently this is the extent of their action to revegetate the area. If I am not mistaken, the Richter (sp?) Loop is also included--the Ski Club would like to see the surface graded to allow easier access for their groomer. After what I've seen on the Viewpoint Trail, this could mean taking out those natural features (roots, sharp humps, rocks, jumps and tight turns) which make mountain biking so enjoyable. Also (and please do correct me if I misheard) although there are no immediate plans to "improve" Rover's Run and Moose Meadow, those trails are also mentioned in The Plan as targets for improvements. More research is needed to flush out the facts and details.

I was tremendously impressed by the brief comments of the berry pickers who enjoy picking berries in a woodsy environment and not a "subdivision" as was stated. I have to remember that "users" aren't just defined by mode of transportation and that there are others that enjoy the Hillside Trails for many different reasons.

Baked Alaskan
    Wow! I'll try to make it to the next meeting, I couldn't believe what they had done to some of my favorite trails, completely obliterated them. Some of the trails are now 20+ feet wide, how many damn skiers do you need side by side?

Other than Rovers, Moose meadow and Black Bear, I've taken to riding across campbell airstrip road, these "improvements" really suck.

All they've done is created a really wide, soft-dirt, dusty road. Wait till all the snow melts next year and creates major ruts in all the hills, since hardpack no longer exists over the areas they've destroyed. Then the horses will come through and fill the freshly plowed roads -- um I mean trails -- with footprints.

Of course none of the skiers will notice it when there's 3-feet of snow on top of all this. I think its a step backwards, because to satisfy one group, all the others have been diminished.

If all of this is to satisfy the racers, that's crazy because they make up only a small fraction of the overall numbers of trail users. I wish I would have known about the meeting. Damn.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Sep 2004

Background on NSAA Trail Commitee Plans

For some background on the NSAA trail committee's plans for Far North Bicentennial Park see: http://www.kidsneedparks.org/Hillsidetrails.htm

Jun 2003

Thank you. John.

Thanks for the background, even if we choose to disagree once again.

mtbr member

Mountain Bike Advocacy Coalition

I will coordinate the first brainstorming session of a Mountain Bike Advocacy Coalition for the Anchorage Bowl. Be thinking about a better title and acronym--the winner of the naming contest will win a special prize!

I propose that we meet on Wednesday, September 8th at 7:00 p.m. I will try to get the Kaladi Bros. Brayton Drive conference room for our use, but stay tuned to this thread for a confirmation.

Please bring for show and tell: Hillside Trails Safety and Grading Improvements Plan; relevant maps; any other pertinent official documents so that we can flush out the facts.

If you plan to attend, please send an email to me at [email protected]. I would like to assemble an email tree for directed conversations, reserving this forum for a general exchange of information and for emergency notices.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

New question here. Clarification of Meeting Location

I propose that we meet on Wednesday, September 8th at 7:00 p.m. I will try to get the Kaladi Bros. Brayton Drive conference room for our use, but stay tuned to this thread for a confirmation.

Please bring for show and tell: Hillside Trails Safety and Grading Improvements Plan; relevant maps; any other pertinent official documents so that we can flush out the facts.
    If you plan to attend, please send an email to me at [email protected]. I would like to assemble an email tree for directed conversations, reserving this forum for a general exchange of information and for emergency notices.
    Just need a clarification, one post says Pat's Bikes at 7 another said Kaladi's. I realize it is the same building but I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks,
    Christopher

mtbr member

Pat's Bikes 7:00 p.m. Wednesday

The Mt. Bike advocacy meeting is at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, Pat's Bikes above Kaladi Brothers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trail improvements????

I don't see the "improvements" on the trails at all. The character is lost for the trail when they're widen 15 to 25' across.

i point the blame on the Nordic Ski Association.

Their stated publically during meetings and on their website they believe all trails should be maintained primarily for skiing (wider is better philosophy). All other uses are considered secondary to them.
    I guess trails on muni and gov't property aren't really for the entire public, just the skiers according to them.

Then again... I've attended a few meetings regarding the proposed widenings (these meetings are advertised fairly well) and seen 15 to 20 skiers and seen 1 or 2 bikers. The mt. bikers hardly ever show up to these meetings and the skies are lining up muni money and muni volunteers for the widenings.

Speak up mt bikers or see more of your trails altered or fenced in!
    - Phil

Members who have read this thread: 0