Campbell Creek Vandals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Campbell Creek Vandals

I parked my car at the Campbell creek entrance off Country Woods road yesterday.When I got back I found that someone had keyed my new car.I was able to get some of it out with scratch remover,but about 10 inches of it is gouged clear thru to the primer.This is a place I have parked on a continual basis for sometime,but since it has gotten nicer there is alot more traffic in this area.Some of which it seems can't be trusted.I was a little surprised as this is a decent enough area . Just thought everyone should be aware.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Not to make light of your situation but it could've been worse. Out in the Valley they probably would've burnt the thing down to the axles. Vandels suck poo and deserve the gnarliest ball kick ever.

.....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    When I ride in the Anchorage Bowl I ride my bike to the trailheads pretty much for this very reason. Because if this ever happened to me I think I'd have to grab Mr. 34oz Louisville Slugger and wait in the weeds at the trailhead for the lowlife Sorry about your car...
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Aug 2004
    I was in on Tour of Anchorage trail to the Campbell Tract Saturday night about 11PM and came out to the iron bridge leading to Campbell Airstrip Road a mile up from Tudor. There was a guy there lurking, looking in car windows. I checked license plate numbers and he split. He was driving a red, older Ford Explorer, rectangular headlights, license started with FDV. He's 30-ish, light shoulder length wavy hair, beard, smoker. I called the cops.... if you see the guy and his truck at trailheads, watch him closely.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the info, I was thinking of riding that this weekend.I had gone on a ride this winter with Carlos in that area , he had said then that there were people lurking around that area.

Aug 2004
    How priceless would it be to buy a few cheap bikes from the YMCA auction and cut 90% of the way thru the head tubes and then leave them there where they can be stolen?

It's just too bad there's no BIG downhill the thief would escape on............

(evil grin)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What's really sad is that the technology exits and is available to install at all trailhead areas to document these thefts and vandalism suspects in the act. The city's park department or APD could install and monitor this technology and recover the video evidence when it was needed.

This is a problem that has been going on for years and it's really about time the city got serious and did something about it. It wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Trail users unit and start putting pressure on your assemblymen. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

Diaskeuast

Report it

Quote Originally Posted by Nanuq
    I was in on Tour of Anchorage trail to the Campbell Tract Saturday night about 11PM and came out to the iron bridge leading to Campbell Airstrip Road a mile up from Tudor. There was a guy there lurking, looking in car windows. I checked license plate numbers and he split. He was driving a red, older Ford Explorer, rectangular headlights, license started with FDV. He's 30-ish, light shoulder length wavy hair, beard, smoker. I called the cops.... if you see the guy and his truck at trailheads, watch him closely.
    This is exactly the kind of information that BLM Ranger Jeff Duhrsen wants to hear about. If anyone sees suspicious activity at a trailhead in the Campbell Tract/FNBP area, please call him at 267-1436.

Even if nothing comes of it the first time, Jeff is watching for patterns in phone reports. For example, if he gets several reports describing a particular vehicle or individual, and those reports coincide with break-ins, it helps him build a case. I recommend storing his number in your cell phones and letting him know about anything you witness that seems suspicious.

We'll all be better off if we help the good guys catch the bad guys the old-fashioned way. I understand your feelings, Curt, but I really don't ever want to see the day that we pull into a trailhead and see surveillance cameras mounted above it. That would diminish far more than just the experience of using our trails.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Cost is the problem..

The problem is that the cost of such a system, especially on the Cambell Creek Trailhead is not cheap.

I think the BLM quoted something like $50,000 to get power, wireless internet service, Digital Video Recorders, and the bullet proof enclosures for the cameras installed at each of the trail heads.

Having used to install some of this type of equipment and considering the area and conditions it would need to operate and could see the costs being that high.

I think a a camera at the entrance of cambell airstrip road fire station and and a sign stating "All traffic on this road is monitored for crime prevention" would be great; but then the big brother factor comes in; especially for the residents of the Stuckagain Heights.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by charris
    What's really sad is that the technology exits and is available to install at all trailhead areas to document these thefts and vandalism suspects in the act. The city's park department or APD could install and monitor this technology and recover the video evidence when it was needed.

This is a problem that has been going on for years and it's really about time the city got serious and did something about it. It wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Trail users unit and start putting pressure on your assemblymen. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by timwoody
    This is exactly the kind of information that BLM Ranger Jeff Duhrsen wants to hear about. If anyone sees suspicious activity at a trailhead in the Campbell Tract/FNBP area, please call him at 267-1436.

Even if nothing comes of it the first time, Jeff is watching for patterns in phone reports. For example, if he gets several reports describing a particular vehicle or individual, and those reports coincide with break-ins, it helps him build a case. I recommend storing his number in your cell phones and letting him know about anything you witness that seems suspicious.

We'll all be better off if we help the good guys catch the bad guys the old-fashioned way. I understand your feelings, Curt, but I really don't ever want to see the day that we pull into a trailhead and see surveillance cameras mounted above it. That would diminish far more than just the experience of using our trails.

How does Ranger Duhrsen feel about phone calls at midnight?

That's why I went to the APD dispatch instead....................

Ologist
    or you could increase Police patrols...where is BLM Law Enforcement in all of this???

Members who have read this thread: 0