Campbell Airstrip/Bivouac Trails??- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

Campbell Airstrip/Bivouac Trails??

Anyone know if some of those trails are dry enough to ride? I am assumiong that the gravelled trails are ok by now??? I have got to get off the pavement!!

Caveman

nope

Monday there was still lots of water and snow around the trails near the science center. You could do laps on the airstrip though... maybe.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    if you feel like being "off pavement" and flogging yourself, arctic valley has been in good shape--no snow, minimal washboarding, minimal loose gravel...

mtbr member
    The Tank trail, where it becomes all graveled, about halfway, is nice and dry. Maybe you're not supposed to be out there without a permit, but I haven't had any trouble yet. I was hopping on to it kinda around behind the Totem Theater area. And then the road up to Arctic valley ski hill is dry.

Wow, writing this I realize how sucky Anchorage is for mtn biking this time of year.

Diaskeuast
    Muni and BLM land managers consider the trails closed to bikes until June 1 to allow them to dry out and firm up. Considering the heavy snow we had over the winter, and the sluggish pace of spring, I can't imagine the trail system being in good shape before Memorial Day.

When I get trail fever in May and my patience is fading because the trails are almost dry, I try to live by a simple guideline: Just because you can ride it, doesn't mean you should ride it.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Ologist
    Thanks, I was thinking that the further out you head on the tank trails the better (as it goes to road) from N. Bivouac. Arctic Valley - are you talking the hillclimb or other roads? I was thinking about doing the climb this afternoon.

I don't really think the Anchorage offers mountain biking this time of year. Yes, I have a mountain bike, and I ride it. I just wish I could call it mountain biking!!!

mtbr member
    There is a point on the tank trail where it crosses a bridge and then turns to a newly graveled surface. From here it is dry and dusty until it hits the Arctic Valley road. Before you hit that point it is mushy mud, but there are military vehicles going up and down it so I don't think hurting the trail surface is too much of an issue, though some may disagree. Not fun to ride though. Of course, I think you're not really supposed to be out there. You can ride it up until you pop out at the Snow Hawk cabins right above the golf course and then the hill climb is really nice right now.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by timwoody
    Muni and BLM land managers consider the trails closed to bikes until June 1 to allow them to dry out and firm up. Considering the heavy snow we had over the winter, and the sluggish pace of spring, I can't imagine the trail system being in good shape before Memorial Day.

When I get trail fever in May and my patience is fading because the trails are almost dry, I try to live by a simple guideline: Just because you can ride it, doesn't mean you should ride it.
    It has always amazed me, and I could be wrong here, that they keep them closed to bikes but not to horses. Does anyone know if that true or is it that the horse activity out of season too?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    It has always amazed me, and I could be wrong here, that they keep them closed to bikes but not to horses. Does anyone know if that true or is it that the horse activity out of season too?
    I'm not positive, but my understanding is that the closure is largely voluntary, and applies to horses as well. From what I've seen, a fair number of horse owners disregard requests to stay off soft trails. Some mountain bikers do as well, but it's hard to do as much damage with a bike as you can with a horse.

The way I see it, the fewer knobby tire prints, the better. I'd rather let other user groups get mad at horse owners, so they'll be too busy to complain about bikes.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    For at least the last ten years or so the first taste of dirt trail riding for me has been the Kepler Bradley network. Since the wind blows out there so much all winter there's never much snow remaining to thaw and dry out. After that, it's traditionally on to the King River and riding until you hit mud at higher elevations.

If you're itching badly enough to hit dirt, try PM'ing Wildfire, maybe he can give you a trail report since he's pretty well in touch with the Valley Mt Bikers and Hikers group. Someone in that group can relay current conditions. Good luck, I'm itching as well.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Is Kinkaid dry enough for any riding?

When does the Hilltop area get dry enough to ride?

mtbr member
    As Woody mentioned, you are really not supposed to be out on the trails until June 1st.

This can be sort of a stupid rule since it asks every one to abandon common sense and even if the trails are dry and dusty by early May, you're supposed to stay off them. This has been the case the last few years with some exceptions. I think the rule with it's arbitrary date exists because it's the only way to really communicate with stupid people that will go out on the trails when they are still soft and tear things up. Unfortunately I don't think these type of people are aware of the June 1st rule.

That said, I think that this year, it will actually be close to June 1st before you'll be able to ride much on the Hillside because of the snowfall. I suggest peeking in from time to time from one of the trailheads to see if things are dry, but have an alternate ride plan if it's not.

Kincaid seems to dry out faster usually, but I've had so many ass reamings by other trail users out there for riding around in late May I try to avoid that place. Plus it smells like skiers!

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    I think the rule with it's arbitrary date exists because it's the only way to really communicate with stupid people that will go out on the trails when they are still soft and tear things up. Unfortunately I don't think these type of people are aware of the June 1st rule.
    Well put. I think the rule is intended to be a guideline for people who lack common sense, but they're usually the ones who don't know about it.

I've talked to land managers who don't worry if people exercise good judgement and ride a bit early in dry years. Unfortunately, this ain't one. Unless we get a sunny heatwave in May, it'll be a few more weeks before we can ride trails without causing damage.

Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying my new road bike? It sure eases the cabin fever this time of year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

My rule of thumb: If the trail's brown and soft...

...stay the hell off!

I tried to get a report on the Moose Crk RR Trail out of Palmer; didn't but it's probably pretty dry except for the first 300 yards thru the fields of town where it sits in a big ditch...it faces south, has a heck of a subbase (for 100 ton coal cars!), is a pretty well drained benchcut 'trail'!!

Mark G. said (last Thursday) that's there still lots of water ponded at the bottom of the big hills at KepBradCrevMo...it's gonna take a big cause the silt slows drainage (not to mention who knows where the frost level is!)

I suspect the packed gravel trails around Campbell Airstrip are getting close to drying out; will check tonite or tomorrow. Otherwise like everyone said, it's gonna be a late start on the dirt! kk

mtbr member
    Well put. I think the rule is intended to be a guideline for people who lack common sense, but they're usually the ones who don't know about it.

I've talked to land managers who don't worry if people exercise good judgement and ride a bit early in dry years. Unfortunately, this ain't one. Unless we get a sunny heatwave in May, it'll be a few more weeks before we can ride trails without causing damage.

Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying my new road bike? It sure eases the cabin fever this time of year.

Yep, this is the season for road biking

Alaska Turner Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Yep, this is the season for road biking
    Come on now guys, What you need is a pair of these.......I've been having a blast riding all over town with them. They'd go fine on your Specialized Tim.....maybe not as zippy as the road bike, but durable for curb hopping fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Mr.Secret
    There's also the Maxxis Hook Worm that has a huge air volume and inverted tread for slammin' curbs, I think I know where they're in stock, maybe......
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Railroad trail status

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack99501
    I tried to get a report on the Moose Crk RR Trail out of Palmer; didn't but it's probably pretty dry except for the first 300 yards thru the fields of town where it sits in a big ditch...it faces south, has a heck of a subbase (for 100 ton coal cars!), is a pretty well drained benchcut 'trail'!!
    Railroad trail is drying out rapidly. Even the moat at the start is down to mud, but just use the grass berm above it for a bit yet. And just beyond the first overlook, it's muddy, but hop onto the rr ties to skirt it. There might be a couple spots where I jumped over some mud (running, not biking) and there's a couple downed logs that should be a good hop for you (I'll try to get out with my bow saw - and trash bag - in the next week or so.) I usually use it for short, flat runs so only go as far as the landslides / gullies (where VMBaH posted the signs), but last week I did hop the 1st couple narrow gullies, but not the bigger ones just to see what status was. I did see a runner tonight who looked like he may have been coming from other side of slides, but not sure. Some of the spots that ooze mud from above have been dry.

I haven't been to KB, but CMT is still (Sunday) too muddy - maybe another week or two - and I suspect the same for KB. Gravel or wind-blown open areas are probably the best places to look for places to ride right now.

Good seein' ya last week, Kev.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Come on now guys, What you need is a pair of these.......I've been having a blast riding all over town with them. They'd go fine on your Specialized Tim.....maybe not as zippy as the road bike, but durable for curb hopping fun.
    Or one of these....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I need to get off of the pavement.... Are there are any gravel trails worth riding this week?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    I need to get off of the pavement.... Are there are any gravel trails worth riding this week?
    No kidding! I am itching to get out an off the pavement myself!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Gravel

Just ride on the road shoulder...they are still covered in gravel.

If you want to bike on a bunch of glass, all the tunnels along Chester Creek/Coastal Trail are a great options.

Ologist
    Yeah, all of the bike trails in town have a little dirt shoulder path on each side. I have been riding on the Campbell Creek shoulders - it is much more enjoyable.

Still can't fool gravity
    If your desperate you could ride laps around University Lake. The trail is mostly dry but for some mud on the east side of the lake.

Its Tammy! 2 M's and a Y

June 1st Rule

It seems like a lot of people are riding out in The Valley area, so does that mean that the June 1st rule only applies to the trails in Anchorage?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The TamMeeH
    It seems like a lot of people are riding out in The Valley area, so does that mean that the June 1st rule only applies to the trails in Anchorage?

If it’s dry, ride it.
    If its not, stay off.
    If it’s questionable, use common sense.

It is my understanding from a prior post that the Valley has a few places that dry out first. Another good resources is to keep an eye on the thread Weekly South Central Trail Report for updates as well as STA’s web site
    Last edited by aka bubba; 05-08-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0