Camera Ready?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Camera Ready?

Grillin' & Chillin'

Camera Ready?

What's the best way to have your camera ready to take a quick photo while riding in winter? Early this evening I returned from my afternoon ride and wished I had been able to extract my camera out a little faster. If I could have done it in about 30 seconds you might be looking at a coyote that I came upon on the Moose Track trail rather than my lame summer bike that didn't fare too well in the fresh soft snow. Like an Idiot I had my camera in my camelbak, which was under my wind breaker, thus it took me about a minute and a half to "whip" it out. It stood there looking at me for about 30 seconds about 20 feet away.

I was hoping for some action shots of the coyote snatching up one of the countless humans that were running around unleashed from their dogs, but no such luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    I carry my camera in one of those phone pockets strapped on my Camelbak shoulder strap. I have one of the older, bigger ones on the right with the camera, and my phone in one of the smaller, newer ones on the left. Not sure if a camera will fit in the newer ones, but they have stretch panels on the side. I know REI carries them, probably everywhere else where they sell Camelbaks. By the way, were you riding on the road at Kincaid on Saturday? I passed a guy on an NRS that looks like that - may have been you. Where you riding in your pic? Most trails i've tried are still too soft for my 2.1 Schwalbe ice spikers.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

Diaskeuast
    If your camera's small enough, you can carry it on the chest strap of your Camelbak. I use a little Nikon digital point-and-shoot, and I carry it in a small camera pouch made by Lowe. The carrier has a big Velcro tab on the back so it's easy to attach and remove from the chest strap, and while it's on your chest the camera is easily accessible.

I also like knowing my camera is in an area that tends to be protected by my arms in the event of a crash -- I once rolled over on my Camelbak when my camera was in it, and that led to a few tense moments as I pulled it out to see if it still worked.

You can get similar camera pouches at Best Buy, or any camera store. Mine is small, but still holds an extra battery and memory card.

I've found this method works great for a small automatic camera. If you're carrying an SLR, it's going to be much tougher.

Caveman
    With a little webbing you can sew on a loop to the camelback shoulder strap so the "big velcro tab" of the camera case fits vertically on it. Bounces around a bit less than in the middle of the sternum strap and wount slide off when you take the pack off. I did this to my ski pack and love it

I'm happy to add this to anyone's, takes 2 minutes with ms Juki.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Camera No Brainer - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by millsm
    I carry my camera in one of those phone pockets strapped on my Camelbak shoulder strap. I have one of the older, bigger ones on the right with the camera, and my phone in one of the smaller, newer ones on the left. Not sure if a camera will fit in the newer ones, but they have stretch panels on the side. I know REI carries them, probably everywhere else where they sell Camelbaks. By the way, were you riding on the road at Kincaid on Saturday? I passed a guy on an NRS that looks like that - may have been you. Where you riding in your pic? Most trails i've tried are still too soft for my 2.1 Schwalbe ice spikers.
    Thanks for the input you guys. I never even thought about the bigger phone pouches, but I'm sure that will be what I do. I carry my phone that way all the time, why not the camera, right?

I wasn't out on my bike at all on Saturday. The photo was taken on the Moose Track Trail on Sunday. This attached photo is what I always like to name "What's in your backyard?"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Members who have read this thread: 0