Calling All Mt Bikers!!!!!!! - UPDATE- Mtbr.com
    MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Calling All Mt Bikers!!!!!!! - UPDATE

As pointed out by EndoRando the trails on the lower hillside have taken a beating. We had a group of 4 today and our sole purpose was to move what we could and take note of what we couldn't. We were able to move and hand cut over 50 trees today on our 10 mile loop. There were many that were so large that chainsaws will be required.

In my 11 years riding on the hillside I've never seen anything like this. This was a massive, massive windstorm. I knew it would be bad, but nothing like I witnessed. It looked like bomb went off..... looks like Vietnam out there. Mother nature got drunk and partied with the Miller Girls...... wow!!

Chainsaws need on:

- Speedway: CLEARED and Ready to Winter Ride. Cut about a dozen large trees. Thanks EndoRando for helping out
    - Moose Ridge Trail: Many tree down.... hopefully the muni can get to these.
    - Cuniform A, B, C Trails have 4 large trees across them
    - Sith Trail has at least 5 large trees down
    - Trails around Super Dave's.

Please take your Sven Saws and other hand tools with you and cut out what you can and post on MTBR where large trees are down.

The riding was quite nice, but the trails will need a lot of TLC before any ripping around the hillside will be done.

What a bummer.

Regards,

EndUser
    Last edited by EndUser; 10-12-2008 at 04:52 PM.
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Ologist
    Too bad not everyone knows which trails are Cuniform, Sith and Super Daves....

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

These are the social trails in.....

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Too bad not everyone knows which trails are Cuniform, Sith and Super Daves....
    around the bog lakes in FNBP. Sorry, but they are far too complicated to give directions to unless you've been on them. Like the Llama trail.... these trails "unofficial" names by which they are identified. A lot people use these trails and these are the names that exist in the local vernacular. You've been on many of these social trails I'm sure....

We are heading out there with chain-saws today......

Regards,

EndUser

Ologist
    yeah just dont know them by these names. Does anyone have a .gpx file or map with these common names?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Use all those cut logs and build a bridge over that little stream on Speedway, the only section I can't ride!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploreak
    ....build a bridge over that little stream on Speedway....
    We did some of that too, check it out!
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia

Just another thought.....

If anyone with a chainsaw is feeling ambitious (or guilty for missing out on helping on Sunday), and would like to independently help out this week, Brown Bear is in dire need of some clearing. At the moment there are so many blowdowns it's impassable. Feel free to knock yourself out! And thanks in advance if you do.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

is buachail foighneach me
    just a suggestion...

why not leave a few logs here and there, none more than 30" high, as log crossings? they're fun, and a necessary mtb skill everywhere else i've ridden except the desert.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Is it ok to just head into BB with a chainsaw - wouldn't want any park users to freak out.

is buachail foighneach me
    if anyone says anything just tell them the saw is for protection from bears...

mtbr member

Leave Strategic Deadfall

If there is any deadfall across the trail that is high enough for a mt. biker to pass under safely, but low enough to dissuade certain human-operated 4-legged creatures, please leave them across the trail.

Oct 2008

Damaged Trails

My son and I were at Campbell Airstrip again this weekend. We tried to ride "Moose Meadow" but the trees were covering the trail and it would take a large chainsaw to move them as they were very mature trees. You could see on most of the more used trails that someone had already cleared the trails, many thanks to whomever you are. Hopefully we can get a few more rides in before winter really sets in!

Jerry

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

We went into FNBP with....

Quote Originally Posted by nerka
    Is it ok to just head into BB with a chainsaw - wouldn't want any park users to freak out.
    three chainsaws. We passed several people while walking in and everyone of them thanked us for clearing trail. Both Brown Bear and Black Bear were not passable as of Sunday. Since these are "official trails" the Muni will eventually clear these, but who knows when. So, If you feel so inclined get in there and don't worry about it. You'd be doing the Muni and all of us a great favor for chipping in with this mess.

My theory is if you're not creating new trails, but only clearing existing trails then all is fine.... go for it. The Muni will only clear the multi-purpose trails and leave all the smaller social trails alone. I have taken stewardship of many "unoffical" trails and I've never had a problem.

I'm organizing some more trail clearing parties after Oct 25th.... I'm going to be in Utah riding .

Regards,

EndUser

Members who have read this thread: 0