Calling All Kenai Peninsula Riders- Mtbr.com
    It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

New question here. Calling All Kenai Peninsula Riders

Hi all,

This is sort of a road riding topic, so I apologize if I'm annoying you by heading off-topic a bit here on the MTBR forum.

Anyway, I'm looking for info on roads again; this time down Nikiski to Homer way. If you have any knowledge of the following roads, will you please help me out?

I'm designing a couple of 200K and 300K brevet courses on the Peninsula to get approved for possible early season brevets in 2009. Iím aiming to create courses that are interesting (not boring), scenic, and challenging. Ideally a quiet loop of rolling country roads w/ low traffic, some big challenging hills, and a bakery/deli every 50K would be perfect. RealisticallyÖitís impossible; I gotta work w/ what we have. But it looks like there are some great roads down that way.

Following are some of the sections Iím interested in. If you know anything about them, would you please be kind enough to let me know? Iíd be very grateful. Iíll do a recon on them later this summer.

Hereís what Iím looking to know:
    1) Is it paved?
    2) Would it make for a good ride?
    3) Is there anything that makes it really bad for riding? Dogs, wind, trucks, potholes, etc.
    4) Whatís the average traffic level toward the end of March thru mid-April: Insane, do-able, low?
    5) Is there a decent shoulder?
    6) Is it scenic? Would it make a nice inclusion in 200K long ride?
    7) Any favorite places to stop and fuel up on a long ride? Cafes, bakeries, mini-marts, restaurants, bars, etc.

Nikiski:
    North Kenai Road to Lamplight Rd
    Lamplight Rd
    Island Lake Rd
    Holt Rd
    Miller Loop

Kenai:
    Beaver Loop Rd

Soldotna:
    Funny River Rd (out & back)
    Kalifonsky Beach Rd

Kasilof:
    Cohoe Loop

Anchor Point:
    Old Sterling Hwy
    North Fork Rd

Homer:
    Diamond Ridge Rd
    Skyline Drive
    East End Road (out & back)

If thereís a road I omitted that you think fits my description, please let me know.

Thank again for your help. I appreciate it. And if weíre able to have a brevet or two down there, I know the riders will really appreciate it too.
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Anchor Point:
    Old Sterling Hwy
    1)yes 2) sure 3) meh not so bad fairly new pavement couple yrs old not all pitted up yet 4) minimal almost all residental 5)whats that? 6) tree corrorider keep on moving nothing to see here 7)Anchor River inn in Anchor Point whatever local RN dive

North Fork Rd
    1)Paved from AP to the turn off to the Russian village about half-way... gravel from that point to the sterling hwy 2) NO 3) all of the above 4) somewhere between insane version of the russian autobahn to doable mostly local traffic 5) whats that again?? 6) well yes it is actually a scenic drive (ride) once to get about 2/3 of the way through 7) you get nothing

Homer:
    Diamond Ridge Rd
    Skyline Drive
    1) both are pretty much completely paved now within the last couple of years (with exception of E. skyline dr. 2)yes, not so bad there is a yearly triathlon that starts at the HS and goes up E. hill rd to Skyline then back down W. hill and out to the spit 3) nope rather pleasant ride other than the hill climb to get there 4) local mixed with a few sight seers 5) what ARE those things? keep wishing...I heard they cost extra when they put the road in and nobody wants to pay for them. 6) perfect! nice views of the bay from some sections of road 7) nothing along the way go back into town for all that stuff

East End Road (out & back)
    first four miles have a bike path after that its everyone for themselves even dogs dont venture out on this road much unless they have a death wish there are plans in the works to redo sections of the road over the next 4-8 years that include a bike pedsterian path (the first four mile section is complete) several business along the way.

from 13mi. and beyond the traffic calms down a lot, is paved for a ways and is very picturesque no shoulder (surprised? ) has a mellow downhill slant to the road for the most part....the return trip would probably be a screamer the only store and restaurant is located at 8.5 mile

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Thanks a lot, akpirate. That helps. Hopefully I can weave this info into a nice ride that will debut early next season.

Kevin
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 0